The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old Today, 03:34 PM   #1
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Cubitus is an extremely disappointing step for Patek.

Thierry Stern has been adamant in various interviews that he does not want Patek to become a one watch brand. With the discontinuation of the 5711 in steel in 2021 it seemed like the brand was going to really attempt elevate the cultural impact of its other lines. Yet, instead we were greeted with the 5811 in the more profitable gold not too long after the steel discontinuation.

The folly continues with the newly introduced Cubitius whose design feels like something dreamed up by an ambitious Pagani designer trying to not infringe on the Nautilus design while still making what is clearly a Nautilus.

When rumors of what Cubitus could have been were bubbling, the natural gap in Patek's collection is a proper dive watch (especially after their 30m standardization, which by the way really patek?). Instead we have a Nautilus thing that does the same thing as the old Nautilus but now square. There's nothing wrong with extending a collection. Think of the AP Royal Oak versus a Royal Oak Offshore. The offshore is an extension of the royal oak design language while expanding the capabilities of the watch in order to meet a new set of requirements. The cubitus does none of this.

Will the Cubitus print money? I have little doubt. Patek is in full control of the supply and can easily make this watch "hard to get" creating a trickle down reseller market. What is clear is that Patek has become creatively bankrupt if their first foray into a new line after so many years is a homage to a watch they don't even really like.

Old Today, 04:10 PM   #2
Gelateria
"TRF" Member

Completely agree. Patek milked the discontinuation of 5711 with a green dial, then milked it once more with a Tiffany dial, then milk it even more with the 5811, and now this. They said they want to move out of nautilus, what a load of bullcrap.

I disliked AP being a one watch brand but at least they're honest and they take real risks. 1159 is absolutely hideous but at least it's massively different. When 1159 failed to be a hype they are honest about what it is now which is essentially ransom for a RO, you will get a RO if you pay up for a 1159 unlike the bullshit you have to go through with patek itself and their ADs.

Patek pretends to have morals but in fact is the most corrupted, and the cubitus is just a continuation of this. Hopefully this is a fake then I can at least take back like 20% of criticism here but damn
Gelateria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:21 PM   #3
robertengel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelateria View Post
Completely agree. Patek milked the discontinuation of 5711 with a green dial, then milked it once more with a Tiffany dial, then milk it even more with the 5811, and now this. They said they want to move out of nautilus, what a load of bullcrap.

I disliked AP being a one watch brand but at least they're honest and they take real risks. 1159 is absolutely hideous but at least it's massively different. When 1159 failed to be a hype they are honest about what it is now which is essentially ransom for a RO, you will get a RO if you pay up for a 1159 unlike the bullshit you have to go through with patek itself and their ADs.

Patek pretends to have morals but in fact is the most corrupted, and the cubitus is just a continuation of this. Hopefully this is a fake then I can at least take back like 20% of criticism here but damn
To your point about Patek ADs, I don't even want to deal with them as I feel in the long term they are being pushed out with Salons taking their place. So why start to spend money on things you don't want when you feel that you wont get what you really want. I have had some pleasant but also some really odd discussions with people at Patek. They don't even listen to the question and are not even disinterested but rather condescending. I have no Salon locally and therefore am not even able to buy the watches the way I want to. And my first thought when seeing this (if not a joke) was that we judged AP too harshly
robertengel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:59 PM   #4
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

I will wait to see the piece in the flesh before drawing any half-assed conclusions.

The new large 2-part date is an interesting addition to the 240 module line up and I guess will filter into other model lines.

The current AD model works well for existing customers, as is always the way those with an ongoing relationship are rewarded first. If you are only interested in hype sports pieces then I think you will be disappointed medium long term as I'm sure that train for all brands is on the buffers.
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:11 PM   #5
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I will wait to see the piece in the flesh before drawing any half-assed conclusions. .
I tend to agree. The image may be marketing hype to conjure up interest. If not, trying to ride on the back of the Nautilus design is very weak. One expects originality from them.
Partekular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:16 PM   #6
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you are only interested in hype sports pieces then I think you will be disappointed medium long term as I'm sure that train for all brands is on the buffers.
Based on my recent experiences with ADs (post-2021), I wouldn't say that consumer frustration is solely tied to hyped sports pieces. Yes, many do walk in asking for a sports model, but there are also plenty of others seeking something like a simple Calatrava or a grand complication.

When someone visits an AD, much of the catalog isn't readily available, yet they can often find their desired watch on the secondary market for less than MSRP. For example, after several requests to my old AD (where I was an existing client) for a 5326 and no follow-through on their end, I eventually acquired it elsewhere.

So, I don’t think the issue is limited to models like the Aquanaut or Nautilus. Ultimately, everyone has the right to shop where they please. To each their own
LJubel328 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:59 PM   #7
robertengel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I will wait to see the piece in the flesh before drawing any half-assed conclusions.

The new large 2-part date is an interesting addition to the 240 module line up and I guess will filter into other model lines.

The current AD model works well for existing customers, as is always the way those with an ongoing relationship are rewarded first. If you are only interested in hype sports pieces then I think you will be disappointed medium long term as I'm sure that train for all brands is on the buffers.
Regarding AD model: It actually will work less and less for existing customers going forward. They are thinning out their points of sales significantly. Ongoing relationships with the brand are not taken into consideration on a personal level, if you had a 10 year relationship with an AD and they close Patek may just shrug at you and say tough cookie. Which they have the legal right to do, but this is about continuity with a brand that focuses its message on generational ownership and heritage. This is personal to me and baffling. Did I have a 10 year relationship before my AD closed? No, I had a 3 year relationship. Still frustrating to be told by Salons to go somewhere else when the ADs will demand your first born and left testicle to even call you back.

Again a nice problem to have in life but to brush the frustration aside by saying you just want hype pieces is a blanket to dismiss anyone with a concern.
robertengel is online now   Reply With Quote