The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old Today, 04:33 AM   #31
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_O View Post
I'm fairly new to this forum, and I already know what your comments are going to be on any thread that involves a nickname or a Daytona. My god, I think 52,000 of your almost 53,000 posts are either a smug comment related to a common nickname or telling us you don't like modern Daytonas. We get it.
Most people on the forum like what they like and think what they think.

There’s loads of people on this forum I would love to meet in real life for different reasons and Padi’s one of them. I imagine if any of us took a trip to [Wales?] for a beer or two, we would have a very entertaining night out, learn a lot and hear some great stories.

For what it’s worth, I’m not a fan of nicknames but I do like the Daytona though no date would annoy me. I agree the “batgirl” is getting cheaper and that premium is hitting the kind of range I’d pay to avoid the faff. It’s a few years inflationary rises which is the waitlist time.

But I suppose we’ll never all agree otherwise why would there be a forum to comment and debate.
Old Today, 05:53 AM   #32
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well myself now 80 years old and even I know most of the correct Rolex reference names and not these silly nicknames.And I will post what I like regarding these nicknames if you don't like it then don't read or reply to my posts now you have a nice day.
Do you have an issue specifically with comic book nicknames, or with all nicknames in general? The “Pepsi” nickname has likely been around since the 16710 or earlier. Have you been advocating against calling it “Pepsi” since the 80s? There’s an active thread right now titled “Kermit flat 4 questions?” which not only refers to a Submariner with the name of a muppet character and puppet, but also discusses MK bezels and variations. There are seasoned members and respected experts contributing valuable insights, and not a single post complains about the nicknames or the flat 4’s versus other bezel variations. Not one post is condescending. I think there’s a lot to learn from that, no matter whether you’re 20 or 80 years old.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=962765
Old Today, 06:10 AM   #33
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Do you have an issue specifically with comic book nicknames, or with all nicknames in general? The “Pepsi” nickname has likely been around since the 16710 or earlier. Have you been advocating against calling it “Pepsi” since the 80s? There’s an active thread right now titled “Kermit flat 4 questions?” which not only refers to a Submariner with the name of a muppet character and puppet, but also discusses MK bezels and variations. There are seasoned members and respected experts contributing valuable insights, and not a single post complains about the nicknames or the flat 4’s versus other bezel variations. Not one post is condescending. I think there’s a lot to learn from that, no matter whether you’re 20 or 80 years old.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=962765
Touché.
Old Today, 07:07 AM   #34
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well myself now 80 years old and even I know most of the correct Rolex reference names and not these silly nicknames.And I will post what I like regarding these nicknames if you don't like it then don't read or reply to my posts now you have a nice day.
Please decipher this for the lazy or in my case, clueless: Llanfairpwllgwyng
Old Today, 08:22 AM   #35
Emery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRoman View Post
My friend just bought a pre owned batgirl for $23k AUD with box and papers from a dealer.
I was in the AD today and I didn’t realise but with the price rises these are now $18k AUD.
For an extra $5k now it’s worth just buying pre owned and not stuffing around with a wait list.
And after properly handling and wearing his batgirl it really is incredibly refined and comfortable. Even at $18k I think these are undervalued.

Also of the two ADs in my city one had a 1908 and the other had a day date available for immediate purchase.
That’s good to know.

I still see the regular dealers on FB thinking it’s still 2021 and trying to sell it at aud25k+.
Old Today, 08:34 AM   #36
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

Lay off Padi. He’s a grumpy old man, but he’s family around these parts.

I always thought PADI stood for professional association of diving instructors.

https://www.padi.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Today, 08:53 AM   #37
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I do not have strong feelings one way or another on what they call the various Rolex, but it is a lot easier to remember the nicknames than the model numbers. I can remember the short color references (i.e. VTNR and CHNR) but the nicknames give an easy way to reference the different models. Even the AD's refer to them by the nicknames. My last message from my AD was "you Sprite is in"!
Old Today, 09:48 AM   #38
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Agree OP. There are tons of recently purchased for sale by the used watch mongers and none are moving at all. I guess they don't even want to sell amongst themselves anymore
Old Today, 09:53 AM   #39
avidflyer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_O View Post
I'm fairly new to this forum, and I already know what your comments are going to be on any thread that involves a nickname or a Daytona. My god, I think 52,000 of your almost 53,000 posts are either a smug comment related to a common nickname or telling us you don't like modern Daytonas. We get it.
harsh
Old Today, 10:01 AM   #40
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
That’s good to know.

I still see the regular dealers on FB thinking it’s still 2021 and trying to sell it at aud25k+.
they easily sell for 25k AUD if brand new and on jubilee. Buy rate on them is about 22.5k.

I 100% agree some dealers are asking silly prices still, but if wholesale dealers are offering you a certain amount, add ~10-15% and that’s the ‘true’ market value. As they have to have profit cooked in and aren’t dumb to buy knowing they can’t make anything.
Old Today, 10:20 AM   #41
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Batgirl markup diminishing

I hate to pour gasoline on the fire, but I could do without the Batgirl nickname. I think it’s the worst one of the bunch.

Maybe it’s because I have the watch, but I just don’t get it. I think it’s a much more masculine watch than the Pepsi. When I wear my GMT BLNR or the Sub, my wife says, “that’s a man’s watch.”

Old Today, 10:25 AM   #42
BlueRoman
"TRF" Member

It’s ok Krash, we aren’t questioning your masculinity here, I promise.

You are a big, capable man who commands respect!
Old Today, 10:40 AM   #43
Krash

Quote:
It’s ok Krash, we aren’t questioning your masculinity here, I promise.

You are a big, capable man who commands respect!

Okay, Skippy. Whatever you say. It’s very brave of you to say that while you’re hiding behind a keyboard.

Old Today, 10:54 AM   #44
BlueRoman
"TRF" Member

? Just trying to be supportive.
Old Today, 11:08 AM   #45
Krash

Quote:
? Just trying to be supportive.

You sound more like an athletic supporter than anything.

Closed Thread