The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM   #241
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
If it’s a quartz like the FPJ I’d be down for that
Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM   #242
Crown & Shield
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
For those saying that "everyone's going to want one" as a retort to others saying they think the watch is ugly is kinda like retorting "well everyone needs to drink water" when someone was arguing "that river looks like it can drown someone."

I'm sure everyone will want one because that's how fandom works. Doesn't matter what it is you are fawning over. You just want it "because...." and that pretty much the only justification a fan needs.

It's kinda like the Black Panther RO. Objectively, a silly watch...literally cartoonish.

It doesn't mean people didn't snapped it up. It's because they could. "Lebron picked one up? Well that's good enough for me."

"Mario Brothers tourbillon? Okay. I'll get one."

I'm sure Patek will sell it's allotment, and of course, tastes differ.

But I cannot say that this is a good looking watch. It's just not there for me.
Sad but true.
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM   #243
pam66
"TRF" Member

possibly disconnected from this cubitus launch (but maybe not) i feel that PP pieces lower than 100K usd are—-hmmm- i have to be careful now- not a native english speaker - insignificant. it starts to get interesting beyond 100K. this comes from someone who owns 10+ PP lower than threshold:::))
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM   #244
Econdon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167A
Quote:
Originally Posted by imran16520 View Post
Came here to say this as I just read this article from Revolution Watch - all still speculation though.

https://revolutionwatch.com/patek-ph...uartz-watches/
Econdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM   #245
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown & Shield View Post
Sad but true.
If DJ Khaled picks one up and 21 Savage puts a knife on his custom cubitus strap it's a must for me. lol I have to pick one up.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM   #246
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
If DJ Khaled picks one up and 21 Savage puts a knife on his custom cubitus strap it's a must for me. lol I have to pick one up.
Great point! Could also get LeBron to wear it since PP bestowed a Naut Tiff to him. Kim Kardashian kinda lost her luster, but if this was a few years back....

PP could try to get it featured on the comedy tv series Dubai Bling. Lots of marketing opportunities on that series.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM   #247
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Great point! Could also get LeBron to wear it since PP bestowed a Naut Tiff to him. Kim Kardashian kinda lost her luster, but if this was a few years back....

PP could try to get it featured on the comedy tv series Dubai Bling. Lots of marketing opportunities on that series.
lol you are killing me with the Dubai bling - my wife showed it to me and I just left to hit balls on the driving range. It's too much for my sensitive heart
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM   #248
Gamut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econdon View Post
Came here to say this as I just read this article from Revolution Watch - all still speculation though.
Whether or not quartz watches have actually become more appealing to luxury watch collectors as Wei Koh says, from a different perspective, I do feel that there may be a potential risk for Patek to keep reserving low-end quartz models to ladies lines.
Activists frame all sorts of things as being discriminatory these days.
Gamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM   #249
ndirish2001
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I’ve been speculating that it might be quartz ever since Stern said it would be a cheaper, introductory line. That would be a freaking disgrace, but I think that’s the only way the Cubitus may become a “first Patek” as opposed to another unobtainable sports line. Ugh.
ndirish2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #250
RJordan
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Econdon;13427947]Came here to say this as I just read this article from Revolution Watch - all still speculation though.

That was a good read, thanks! Yeah I noticed that Revolution tend to have these "prediction" articles a few days before any official announcements and it does turn out they are mostly accurate. No doubt here too I bet
RJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM   #251
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJordan View Post
That was a good read, thanks! Yeah I noticed that Revolution tend to have these "prediction" articles a few days before any official announcements and it does turn out they are mostly accurate. No doubt here too I bet
Assuredly some journalists/publications have already been given the inside scoop. They gotta press the button on the 17th to publish those articles (or really PR communications) asap.
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM   #252
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:

Thanks for sharing the link. That article was pretty well-written. It was helpful to be reminded of the many variations that PP has churned out over the years. It's a much more diverse range of products than one would expect, given their production volume.

It's funny to think of Stern running Rolex like Wilsdorf, creating a less-expensive brand called Cubitus (a la Tudor). Then we'd be seeing lots of Cubitus models coming out, maybe a cobranding with SpaceX, and lots of brand ambassadors, too. Imagine the Boutique only Bronze Cubitus...
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM   #253
Gandor
"TRF" Member

lol if patek actually puts this out in quartz only it will be the funniest thing ever
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM   #254
sigma089
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, GS, PP
Not a bad take actually. If they make this quartz and affordable per Patek standards this will see a resurgence of high-end quartz. Really curious if Rolex would be bringing back the Oysterquartz then. If it's and around 20-25k, this is going to break the internet.

I have a Quartz GS and love it. Don't love the design based on the pictures, but who knows how this is going to look in the flesh. Quartz would actually be a very TS thing to do.
sigma089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM   #255
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Pateks sell to me because of the design, mechanisms, quality, and then the high horological brand reputation with guaranteed repairability forever.

A quartz in gold - 5269R - at 30k is taking the p along with the pod IMO. I am not against quartz but that is not why I buy PPs.

Agree the £100k + PPs are divine but when could I wear one without employing a security guard and chauffeur? Slightly above my wallet’s capacity. Pateks sell to me because of the design, mechanisms, quality, and then the high horological brand reputation. I also prefer the stealth wealth watches. Showboating is not for me whichever pop star wears one that’s a turn-off.

I do lust after the 5178G but …
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #256
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Kraken View Post
Well, maybe it will be a good choice for a travel watch the first month/year after release because spotters in bars/restaurants will think it is a cheap Alibaba knockoff of a Nautilus and you don’t get robbed.
for me, i think that's fugly and patek has lost its way.

but if stern wanna do this, go for it. lol

biggest joke of their history
Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM   #257
Gamut
"TRF" Member

If reputation factor is of concern, I think there is nothing to worry about the probablity of Cubitus being quartz. Any person who judges people by their watch would have to assume the possibility that a person rocking a Cubitus wears the watch, not because he can only afford a cheap quartz model, but because he has a substantial spending history with a Patek AD, probably including a grand comp.
Gamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM   #258
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
The quartz argument is well reasoned.

For me personally that’s a nonstarter.

Once upon a time ~1988, I was excited to wear my “good” watch for a special occasion.

Sadly the battery was dead on my precious quartz watch and I decided at that moment that I would only buy a mechanical/automatic watch moving forward.

I have never looked back.
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM   #259
ts3
"TRF" Member

If quartz I'd find the effort a little less lazy but the rest remains a slightly more square strap Nautilus. Not pretty in my eyes but I don't like the Santos either.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:52 AM   #260
Idonthavearolex
"TRF" Member

I have no issue it being quartz.
My favourite watch, that I wear almost daily, is a Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso, which happens to be quartz...purely because the specific dial I wanted time was only ever available with a quartz movement.
It was a simple choice - the dial I wanted with quartz, or choose a different one, and I am glad I ignored the quartz hate that prevails.
Idonthavearolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:28 AM   #261
dchang81
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

As already stated that revolution article definitely prepping for it to be quartz. I distinctly remember them doing something similar for a different model launch
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:50 AM   #262
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Part of why I like watches, and Patek in particular, is mainly about the mechanical aspect:

- Control of volume (smaller caliber allowing limiting the case dimensions). Making a smaller movement (miniaturization) is a sort of complication on its own. Patek knows how to make smaller calibers, and complicated ones (5959 Monopusher Split chrono, Grand master chime while others are still trying to create a rival to Starcaliber/Henry Graves, QP's etc...). That's why btw I'm not supporting the "bigger caliber in bigger cases", because it theoretically not only makes them easier to design, but also to craft, to finish, to assemble or to set. With the 29-535 (chrono), the 31-260, they have also re-imagined the older movements with innovations that remain traditional. How many traditional brands keep on developing mechanical movements in such a wide range of offer and not just a one-shot for marketing purposes... They didn't start yesterday when it became "in" to sell watches. They didn't wait it became profitable. They first created the 1518, 2499, 3448, MR's, WT and then it became famous. They gather today that "investment" coming from the love of the field. They kept on "playing" with Watchmaking. They put pocket watches on wrists early on, like they have put a Starcaliber on the wrist (5175) before the others. They brought back the MRs for the 1989's celebrations.

- Efficiency : many can create nowadays a complication with the help of software but Patek has a long story (before software assistance) of creating a wide range of complications that work;

- They brought back heavy material with Minute-repeaters and High Complications combinations. The catalogue provides many of them, permanently;

- I like mechanics (like petrol engines) and the way it works, the way it has to be set, the pressure on those tiny pinions is "appealing". Not any brand provides it.

A printed circuit isn't. For a Quartz, it's only about the aesthetics but not the mechanical aspect (and prowess?) anymore.

2 different products. Now, if there is a Quartz model hidden somewhere in the catalogue, why not. But not for me. Said differently, a 40K Quartz is less interesting to me than a 60K mechanical watch.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:57 AM   #263
enthusiast
"TRF" Member

It will cause a massive and irreversible damage to Patek Philippe's nimbus if they really introduce the watch shown in the leaked ad with a quartz movement tomorrow.
enthusiast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:20 AM   #264
ndirish2001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Said differently, a 40K Quartz is less interesting to me than a 60K mechanical watch.
Perfectly put. I can appreciate high-end quartz, but $40k for stainless steel quartz is not something I would ever consider for myself.
ndirish2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:33 AM   #265
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

If it's quartz, then the price point has to be WAAAAAY down. I mean Grand Seiko quartz level pricing.

I know FP Journe has done this, but the Elegante started out as a base model for women (I believe....perhaps it was not fully stated as such, but that's what I thought I had heard).

That being the case, it's not exactly the most "successful" (is that the right word) of the FP Journe models. Yes, they sell. Yes, they are still hard to get. They are also far far far from the most desirable of models, and I'm not sure how many people yearn for an Elegante.

If this is a $20-30K quartz, I mean.....what's the point?
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:45 AM   #266
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Design isn’t for me at all. if this really is quartz I’d lose all interest entirely. The charm and interest in horology for me comes in large part from the “mechanical” aspect and craftsmanship. I find self winding movements conceptually fascinating. Having a battery in place of a beautiful mechanical movement ruins it for me
Old Today, 03:56 AM   #267
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown & Shield View Post
Sad but true.
I disagree, the momentum you describe works for a 250 LE piece like the Black Panther and its price point.

a) given the volumes, yes you are always going to find people to buy it
b) also linked with above, the price point makes it a total statement product

That won't happen with the Cubitus because:

a) it will be produced and available in much higher volumes (for a brand like Patek of course)
b) it's an entry level piece

Eventually I agree it will sell as there are too many people buying everything that would come out of PP. But in the mid-term I see this becoming more a kind of RO Code product, trading below MSRP on grey and being a piece to buy on the route to a Naut/Aqua.
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:59 AM   #268
ts3
"TRF" Member

My conspiracy theory is as follows: Patek paid Wei Koh to speculate it might be quartz after the negative reaction to the Fortune leak so the watch journalists can express a sigh of relief tomorrow once it has turned out to be mechanical after all.

PS If it was quartz I'd hope they'd have found a way to avoid pushing the two subdials towards one (the right) side of the dial.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:11 AM   #269
HMHM
"TRF" Member

1 more day to go anyway... we will find out tomorrow! Fingers crossed it is not a Quartz....
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:14 AM   #270
dchang81
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
If it's quartz, then the price point has to be WAAAAAY down. I mean Grand Seiko quartz level pricing.

I know FP Journe has done this, but the Elegante started out as a base model for women (I believe....perhaps it was not fully stated as such, but that's what I thought I had heard).

That being the case, it's not exactly the most "successful" (is that the right word) of the FP Journe models. Yes, they sell. Yes, they are still hard to get. They are also far far far from the most desirable of models, and I'm not sure how many people yearn for an Elegante.

If this is a $20-30K quartz, I mean.....what's the point?
The mens version box is the same shaped like a jewelry/ring box. They were describing it as woman getting a piece of fine jewelry. I thought I was nuts for spending 12k on it vs getting a lange saxonia, so the 40k they go for grey now is bonkers. Maybe patek sees those grey prices and figure they can charge something similar....
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote