The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old Today, 08:03 AM   #31
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Not sure I hate it either but I get the issue here. They want to diversify then bring out a different shaped version of the nautilus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:07 AM   #32
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I think their plan here was to make as substitute for the steel Nautilus that is a lot less attractive, so there would not be as much demand.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:22 AM   #33
Vasco
"TRF" Member

The deception is understandable but let me add a few thoughts I posted on the other thread...

First, I'm not a fan of the Cubitus. I loved the Nautilus and my shaped tastes over the years are "troubled" by this change. However, there are a lot of examples showing that aesthetics is not absolute but relative and evolves over time (same with car lines, headlights/talelights, rim diameters or with 1990's large clothes vs 2010's slimmer ones or rounder 1990's office men shoes vs 2000's "pointed" ones later on, etc...). So who knows in the future what we'll all feel like. The Nautilus in 1976 was badly welcome and the Aquanaut wasn't successful in the early and mid 2010's.

They've just made a Square-shaped Nautilus. Like a Santos or other square models, they felt it's a trend to engage in. At least as a diversification. The size seems far too huge for me.

I agree I was searching for the delight of being surprised by something excitingly new. If we don't like it, just let's not buy it.

The price in these luxury fields doesn't depend on what "seems" normal. They are already out of proportion since many years. By the way we should more consider the MSRP minus the "out of the shop" loss than the MSRP alone. The net loss is more interesting to assess. That usually makes Patek more "interesting", financially wise (and explains why so many are keen on Patek versus other similar level brands I won't name). A 80k watch with 10K loss or a 60K watch with a 15k loss?

Furthermore, I had a look at the Presskit about the 5822. It's not a standard model. Here is what I found:

- Most of watches get a normal (long) date disk change (I don't remember the word, when it's not "instantaneous"). Brands don't care about instantaneous jumps. Not profitable on a marketing level, too bothersome to set to be worth it.

The 5822P is equipped with an instantaneous jump (like expensive Pateks or the 5200 Gondolo for the date iirc), this is not any kind of improvement: not only for one element but for both date disks, the day and the moonphase which is a technical rarity. This doesn't happen on below 100K Pateks.

That's the result of what they had in the 5207/5208 and started implement in the 5236QP => Energy consumption savings. Adding elements, adds friction and brings bad consequences for wear and accuracy. They are the only ones to work that deep on this matter together with time keeping (tourbillon level with the 26-330). Even though it doesn't show-off. Juste like the spiromax V.2 included in the 5650G for the first time before being introduced in all the 26-330 (which replaces the 324).

They prefer a shorter power reserve with better accuracy on the whole curve and smaller spring barrels than the double with much lower performance in the last quarter and bigger barrels.

- Coplanar disks for the double date which allows thinner movement (thus case). Indeed the Lange big date for instance is thicker because both disks aren't on the same level. This is from the 5236P as well, together with its anti double jump system (more details here https://www.hightime-reviews.com/pat...-and-pictures/ ).

And it seems that we can now correct the date elements at any time of the day (even inside the DeathZone during which the date switch is engaged).

These are practical elements, that improve the watch for an everyday life and that remain below radar.

The presskit says it adds only 0.77mm to the caliber. Room management is why Patek is different as well from other brands.

I understand the deception regarding aesthetics but let's not rush. Patek, technically hasn't become what they are by accident.

Just sharing the additional infos I found.

Edit: I've just seen the video after I wrote this. It looks very thin (though too large for my wrist) and rather very elegant? I understand why he said last year that he had an issue with the Pt diamond at 6 o'clock for a new watch they were working on.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:46 AM   #34
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

A great name for the series would have been Nautilus²

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:07 AM   #35
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

This goes beyond hubris at one level...

If accurate, we hear a PP stated goal to not be defined by a successful model, which if my maths are correct would take 597 years at current production levels to satisfy 2% of demand for a Nautilus. (Kidding)

That would be akin to Rolex killing the DJ and Sub because people want to buy them.

????...

Tosser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:18 AM   #36
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Easy solution, Cartier is ~40mm and there are gold/ss versions. As a true sports watch, i believe waterproof rating is 100m.

https://www.cartier.com/en-us/watche...os-de-cartier/

Attachment 1463141
I will take the Santos any day over the Cubitus. The Patek looks more like a Bell & Ross IMO
Old Today, 10:35 AM   #37
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post
Not sure I hate it either but I get the issue here. They want to diversify then bring out a different shaped version of the nautilus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So they put it in a tortilla press?

It'll be interesting to see in person.
Old Today, 10:44 AM   #38
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
....more like a Bell & Ross IMO
Great brand, super solid. imho every very diverse collection should have one. Especially if you're an aviator, a fan of air travel, and yes vintage / retro MIL style.

jmho

old pic, still have the tanknOmega and B&R.

patek_image.3138458.jpg

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote