The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old Today, 02:40 AM   #61
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
Sooooo presume they offered you one...which one you picking??

That’s what I’d like to know.
I just got word from the owner of my AD and he said I’ll get the frost one- no kater than end of the year.. but I don’t know which one and didn’t sound like it would be a choice. But I like them all and would buy any, I guess I would pick the two tone because I don’t have anything like that right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:44 AM   #62
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing. As others have said, the watch looks too big, and in some angles, way too big.

But I'm also struck at how the tonneau shape of the Nautilus gives it a more refined look than the brutalist looking Cubitus. There's something about the Cubitus dimensions and shape that doesn't seem to coexist well together.

A cube is just a weird/odd shape for a watch, and I think Cartier did a better job on the Santos to give it a more refined look than this Cubitus.

Finally, if Stern thinks this is going to be a more accessible or acquirable watch than the Nautilus....I truly don't know what he's smoking. The fanboys are going to snatch this up, and there is no way anyone who might want this thing is going to get one.

Also, at $40k and up, it's not quite an accessible price range either.
Gebbeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:46 AM   #63
edyu
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I'll reserve my judgement until they release a "women's" version like 35-38mm. :) my wrist size would only work with that
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:49 AM   #64
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Fitting an old round caliber into a square case is not very technical. Especially he specifically said on the website that it is with a new movement. Even the 5822P is not really a new movement but just another 240 based derivative.

I am still waiting for a proper 96 re-make.
Well, I don't think that because of that round vs square case issue, the technical aspects of this 5822 is of no interest. For some, it's not even an issue (like the caliber filling or not the whole case issue). By the way, the 240 is an excellent caliber, innovative when it was launched and still is and I would say the module they added on is the most important part. But I see your point as I would have preferred a new one instead too.

I understand and I might share your disappointment on that round caliber in a square case matter but:
- Are clients interested by such strong design interested in that "flaw" and;
- What is the cost of developping such movement, that wouldn't fit in another model considering the size, for a niche watch (square)? The 5200's caliber was developed for this watch only and I'm not sure they are happy with how it ended (my guess).

The technical aspect I was mentioning is about the 240's variation from the 5236QP and the 5207/5208 which is not a mere thing to me in comparision.

A 96 remake would be very nice indeed but I'm not sure we are numerous, outside forums, to beg for it... The 5196 and 5296 disappeared and when the 5170 was introduced (people were screaming for a classical chronograph again, in a smaller size, like the 130, etc...), it didn't meet the smashing success we expected (except the 5170P :p).

So it's hard to see where the sales make them going sadly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
The side by side picture in this thread shows Cubitus vs 5811. The size difference would be larger if Hodinkee had used a 5711/12 for the comparison.
Thanks ts3, yes I noticed it, it should add maybe 1mm but from the first leaks I thought it was more 3 of them.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:50 AM   #65
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post

Yes buddy, all watches look big on my tiny wrist. Below is the new 5980G which looks better for my wrist in comparison.
Quote:
I totally agree with this. This design from the 70s stands the test of time and is still king of sport in my view (along with Royal Oak).

Though the Cubitus shares maybe 90% of Nautilus DNA, a slight tweak to the original design via the dimensions has caused such an uproar. When I first handled the Cubitus today, I immediately think of the Nautilus, which shows how similar they are. If I'm new to Patek or new to Nautilus, I would be more than happy to own a Cubitus because the best DNA are all shared like the bracelet, dial, bezel, hands, markers, adjustable deployant clasp, and movement.

Below pic is from Hodinkee. See how similar they are.
The Cubitus appears to be too wide & chunky compare to the Nautilus...

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:12 AM   #66
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks M. for your honest take and sharing your experience with these hands on. Keep up the great work as an unofficial ambassador from Singapore!

If nothing else this is a good wake up call for everyone to follow their own passion/tastes.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:22 AM   #67
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Thanks M. for your honest take and sharing your experience with these hands on. Keep up the great work as an unofficial ambassador from Singapore!

If nothing else this is a good wake up call for everyone to follow their own passion/tastes.
Thanks my friend and I just hope to share my perspective here
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:54 AM   #68
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Well, I don't think that because of that round vs square case issue, the technical aspects of this 5822 is of no interest. For some, it's not even an issue (like the caliber filling or not the whole case issue). By the way, the 240 is an excellent caliber, innovative when it was launched and still is and I would say the module they added on is the most important part. But I see your point as I would have preferred a new one instead too.

I understand and I might share your disappointment on that round caliber in a square case matter but:
- Are clients interested by such strong design interested in that "flaw" and;
- What is the cost of developping such movement, that wouldn't fit in another model considering the size, for a niche watch (square)? The 5200's caliber was developed for this watch only and I'm not sure they are happy with how it ended (my guess).

The technical aspect I was mentioning is about the 240's variation from the 5236QP and the 5207/5208 which is not a mere thing to me in comparision.

A 96 remake would be very nice indeed but I'm not sure we are numerous, outside forums, to beg for it... The 5196 and 5296 disappeared and when the 5170 was introduced (people were screaming for a classical chronograph again, in a smaller size, like the 130, etc...), it didn't meet the smashing success we expected (except the 5170P :p).

So it's hard to see where the sales make them going sadly...

Thanks ts3, yes I noticed it, it should add maybe 1mm but from the first leaks I thought it was more 3 of them.
After watching the marketing/ad video. I can understand that this is really a watch aimed at casual buyer who wants a Patek as a first "real" watch to mark/show that he'd arrived. The entire AD was full of young urban investment bankers type who are there to celebrate someone's birthday or first promotion. And the watch was there to mark the occasion.

But then the question now is: Why not just promote Aquanaut or Nautilius? I think they already are in this category in the mind share of the targeted audience.
llngoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:58 AM   #69
macplee
"TRF" Member

i do wonder if corp pp / ts really want this to goto newer/younger customers and if they can control or dictate this to ADs?
macplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:06 AM   #70
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
A bit of a bastard child imo, but I’m sure it will sell well, as all Patek do…
Old Today, 04:12 AM   #71
EndlessEight

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Not that I'm in a position to obtain one, but the look doesn't work for me.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:35 AM   #72
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Forgetting about how lazy this effort at "the first new collection in 25 years" is, I have to say that the 5712 is very attractive in a non-symmetrical way. But the new platinum one with indices of every possible size going around the dial is something that I could never enjoy or look past. And I don't find "the chin" on some Pateks to be such a deal breaker. I just can't imagine a designer at Patek submitting this to their boss and having boss not ream designer out, let alone ok it. Unbelievable to me.

But very cool of Michael to a) get to see and try on these models on Day 1, and b) share them here.
Old Today, 04:54 AM   #73
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I wonder if the size was somewhat dictated by the use of a round, movement. The circle making up the movement has to fit within the square with enough room for the case itself. If you weren't going for the square shape, you could cut off the corners more, like they do in the Aquanauts and Nautilus.

But here, you have all that excess real estate you need to keep along the corners of the watch case.

Had they opted for a custom movement, they could have shaped and sized it to the dimensions of the watch case they wanted to make.

I think you have the same problem with the Gondolo. That's also huge, but it also has a round movement.

Is Patek penny pinching here?
Gebbeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:55 AM   #74
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

The elephant ears stick out like a sore thumb
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:00 AM   #75
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
Unfortunately I don’t think your getting one, for me Patek died the day they discontinued the 5196, nothing they have done since can convince me otherwise.
that's a bit harsh no ? 5373P (lefty), 5316, 5326, 5326 or the cool new 5738 (pablo escobar ellipse). They clearly realeased an uninspred new model line here but that doesn't mean it's all bad.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:51 AM   #76
llngoc
"TRF" Member

llngoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:52 AM   #77
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only

I find it way to big in comparison with 5711

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:59 AM   #78
Champagnepapi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edyu View Post
I'll reserve my judgement until they release a "women's" version like 35-38mm. :) my wrist size would only work with that

Not sure. Rumor has it next year they’ll be releasing a Patek Crash (if you get it you get it) lol

Champagnepapi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:35 AM   #79
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Thank you Ichiran for your in person impressions.

How does it take decades to design this? Anyway, Im not a hater, I do like the 5822 but wish THAT one was the steel one in full bracelet...Otherwise the 3 hander, even compared to my 5811 looks massive and my wrists are equally if not even thinner than yours so sadly I think the Cubitus line will be too big for me...

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:40 AM   #80
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachopc View Post

I find it way to big in comparison with 5711

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
How does one look at this watch designed by Genta, probably perfect in every sense, and say hey - let's make it bigger and square, otherwise clone it identically for our first new model line release in 25 years

Amazing!
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:00 AM   #81
Cru Jones

Quote:
Below pic is from Hodinkee. See how similar they are.

Great side by side! The new one is much fresher compared to the rather tired/stuffy Nautilus….. Just need it to be a bit smaller.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:20 AM   #82
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
After watching the marketing/ad video. I can understand that this is really a watch aimed at casual buyer who wants a Patek as a first "real" watch to mark/show that he'd arrived. The entire AD was full of young urban investment bankers type who are there to celebrate someone's birthday or first promotion. And the watch was there to mark the occasion.

But then the question now is: Why not just promote Aquanaut or Nautilius? I think they already are in this category in the mind share of the targeted audience.
I indeed didn't like that add (at least I'm not the target). I understood and could appreciate the previous paper adds but here in video it's a little too jet-set for me. I think that the way the wealthiest part of the later generations has evolved explains the message. Hence the future targets. When I see the evolution of pricing of nice clothes, you have quality at a very expensive price (Brioni, Loro Piana, etc...). Under that you have usually bad quality (sometimes at a significant price still) and I don't think I can find easily a middle quality level at a normal price. Especially well known brands that have surfed on their image, using too much pricing power for clothes that are below average in terms of quality (at least where I live).

Things have evolved very significantly these last years. I accept it and, concerning watches, I will go grey much more than before imho.

Regarding your question, my guess would be that the Nautilus and Aquanaut aim at the same target indeed, so it's another reason that has pushed Patek to release the Cubitus. I think it's a question of widening the choice, giving a 3rd family in the sporty field. Square shape brings the unique character (as Gondolo did previously). As it looks like the Nautilus, it "secures" the fact it would be successful instead of creating something they might be wrong about. Just speculation from my part of course.

They have tried an alternate solution with the 5960G, the 5960/1A, the Pilot models but maybe they feel it's not the same thing. Maybe they also feel that had they made a 3rd totally new sporty family, if not successful (or why not more than the Nautilus), the clients would still have all gone for the best one (winner takes all), ruining the strategy to balance all 3 families?
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:39 AM   #83
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Case shape is hard on the eyes.

Platinum model is painfully asymmetric.

Makes me sad that they’ll be using some of their very limited production capacity to make these.

L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:49 AM   #84
Sothy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the pictures and first-hand account.

Despite its size, perhaps it wears smaller than an Acquanaut then? I really wish Patek’s WR rating was more precise (as it’s now just 30m unless it’s a minute repeater). Is this more resistant than a manual wind Calatrava or a Nautilus for that matter? Is the 5226G (strap aside) just as capable in the pool? I agree with the comment above that the “women’s model” may be very much in demand in the future.
Sothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:00 AM   #85
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Damn, you beat H. Moser at the parody.

Well played, sir. Well played indeed.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote