The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old Today, 06:24 AM   #1
Rushne
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Sell a 5167 for a Lange at some point?

Hi all,

So I have been mulling the thought, ever since getting a Lange Annual calendar, now I am tempted to sell the aquanaut and perhaps get an 1815 Chronograph.
Yes they are completely different watches but I find I reach less for the Aquanaut and more for the Lange now days. Plus I have a ton do other sports watches. Now with Patek also just rating the aquanaut as a “run of the mill” 30m water resistant watch, I figure it’s not even really a sports model anymore?
Anyway, what would you guys do?
It’s just a small niggle of a thought and of course I will do as I feel, but just wanted to see what you guys all thought.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:53 AM   #2
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would that in a second. The Lange chronograph movement is a joy to behold and is on a much higher horological level than a 5167. It's what you want to appreciate in a watch that matters.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:42 AM   #3
NardinNut

Sell a 1[emoji239] for a Lange at some point?

Funny, I’ve been considering the exact same move

Last edited by NardinNut; Today at 07:43 AM.. Reason: Stupid TapaTalk
NardinNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:31 AM   #4
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Very nice project but indeed 2 very different watches.

First, I never really liked the Aquanaut (only the 5650 and maybe the 5968A, though too big for me). I had a 1815R in the past and enjoy Lange watches a lot.

I've been thinking myself about the Dato Perp in Pt which is at a very low price on secondary market for what it brings.

However, I would hesitate. I know on the long run that the watches that last on my wrist the longest are not always the "best" ones on paper. The comfort plays a huge role (caseback's shape, weight and size). The Dato (to my experience trying it several times, not owning it) is not good for me. However the 1815 chrono is. Nevertheless for an everyday wear I think many will prefer the Aquanaut on the long run. If I was an Aquanaut guy and not bored of it, I think I would keep it but that's very close. I would definitely keep a Nautilus.

If you want to experience finishing, the exquisite pleasure of a manual chronograph movement, go for it (not the AC but the Chrono).
If you want the finishing, getting a more elegant and traditional watch, go for any Lange, they are definitely worth it.

So my first opinion (above) is more about how you use your watch and what you want to find.

Regarding the WR issue, I still don't know how their measurement is supposed to be understood. I went to a Salon after the fair (April/May), they replied they didn't have yet an official answer from the HQ to give me. I didn't ask since. What I know from Patek is that the design of these watches didn't change (so if it worked before, it should still be working today).

The 1815 chrono is fantastic (I tried the WG black dial version a few months ago). It would be cool to be able to keep both :p The finishing is something very enjoyable to experience and is a valuable step for a watch fan to experience, to shape its observation accuracy. To build a good benchmark. It helps for instance avoiding feel that an RO movement (2120/3120) is the same than a 26-330 or 240 or that a Rolex is not far from an Aquanaut.

A nice step to make, keep us informed :)
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote