The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 November 2022, 09:16 AM   #1
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
changing strap on a deployant buckle

I have always just let my local jeweler do this. Is it hard to do? Looks like a small set screw is removed and the bar slides out. Is it hard to reset the bar and the screw? Is the bar actually two pieces?
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2022, 12:18 PM   #2
draken1
"TRF" Member

The screw is white gold so you have to only be delicate about it. The bar is an insert bar.
draken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2022, 09:05 AM   #3
DavidSB
2024 Pledge Member

Simple with a 4x loupe and proper screwdriver. Just be sure and do it over a towel in case you drop the screw.
DavidSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2022, 10:00 AM   #4
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Re the small gold screw:
- I keep a spare.
- I put the watch and strap in a cardboard box when I take out or put in a screw.
- If it flies out, only my wife can find it. Maddeningly she does so immediately.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2022, 01:39 AM   #5
Partekular
"TRF" Member

It is a poor design with quick release strap connection from the strap to the watch case and then this minuscule screw which not only falls out and rolls away but damages easily with a steel screw driver! I use a lump of blue tac on the screwdriver to put it back in. Surely there’s a better way to attach the deployant to the strap!

Travelling to the AD when a strap change of colour is desired is a waste of time - theirs and mine. Come on Thierry, you can do better than a poor design like this!
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2022, 04:31 AM   #6
AHG
"TRF" Member

I heard Patek is actually working on a new design for the changing the deployant.
AHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2022, 06:23 AM   #7
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Easy, but annoying. Bar is 1 piece.

Small flathead screwdriver, and patience are all you need. I’ve ordered extra screws to have handy in the inevitable event of loss or damage.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2022, 09:07 AM   #8
Calatrava r

Thanks for the replies.
Old 10 November 2022, 11:06 AM   #9
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Thanks for the replies.
Couple more tips.

1. Get a good set of jeweler's screwdriver
2. A nice tweezer to hold the small screw
3. Optional but if you want to be safe. Order an extra small screw from HSNY in case you dropped and lost it. It is very small so it can be hard to find

I am a complete opposite of a handy person and I was able to do it. So it is not hard with the right tools at hand and some patience

Good luck!
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM   #10
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Tagged onto this.

Wanted to change straps on 5270, I have no issues removing the screw, from this point, I cannot remove the bar, its rounded both end so I'm having trouble pushing it out with a silicon pusher tool or even a wooden pick. Any tips?

Strap is actually brand new (just been serviced) and wanted to try a different one, so leather is very stiff.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:08 AM   #11
Calatrava r

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Tagged onto this.

Wanted to change straps on 5270, I have no issues removing the screw, from this point, I cannot remove the bar, its rounded both end so I'm having trouble pushing it out with a silicon pusher tool or even a wooden pick. Any tips?

Strap is actually brand new (just been serviced) and wanted to try a different one, so leather is very stiff.
If the set screw is not engaged, the bar should slide out. If it doesn't more force is required to move the bar against the snug new leather while being careful not to put marks on the the bar ends. Many times, when working with a new Patek strap. I need to slide a toothpick or a long thin nail through the hole to enlarge it just a tad so the spring bar will move through it.
Old Today, 12:14 AM   #12
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
If the set screw is not engaged, the bar should slide out. If it doesn't more force is required to move the bar against the snug new leather while being careful not to put marks on the the bar ends. Many times, when working with a new Patek strap. I need to slide a toothpick or a long thin nail through the hole to enlarge it just a tad so the spring bar will move through it.
Thank you for the tips, I shall try this as you say. I suspect it is due to the new strap gripping. I'll try to create some space and try again.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote