The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Today, 05:34 AM   #1
Skee-Bum
"TRF" Member

Newbie questions about buying a Rolex

So been lurking on here for a while off and on. I have gotten the green light from the wife to buy myself a Rolex. So that is what I’m going to do at some point.

I read a lot of the threads, and have gathered a lot of information. However, I have some lingering questions that I haven’t gotten answered by reading the threads.

The first one being with regards to the AD’s. How is it decided what watches they get and when? Or is that a mystery? If no one knows that is fine.

I have put my name in at my local AD, he made it sound like I have to check in at the store every so often and show my face. From reading the threads, this seems kind of normal. Or is it? Also have my name on a list at a AD in a famous resort town.

Lastly, how many of you have gotten ticked off by the AD issue and just went gray market. If so what was your breaking point? This is just a start, but will do for now.
Skee-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:31 AM   #2
rod727
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610
I bought gray after shopping or trying to buy from AD. David SW for me. To be fair I bought mine before all of this nonsense started, the price on my 116610 was actually just a fraction under retail but again that was 2016. On another note it just came back from Rolex Dallas service center and she is like new again!
ETA: I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.
rod727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:35 AM   #3
Zero_Regret
"TRF" Member

Really depends on the AD and your SA. Also depends what you expressed interest in. If you asked for say a SS Daytona, unlikely you will get it. I personally suggest going to multiple AD's to help improve your odds.
Zero_Regret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:52 AM   #4
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

I would try the AD route first and put on your dancing shoes �� try 2-3 of them and express interest to be put on the famous waitlist? This all depends on what you are looking for? Daytona, GMT, Subs are a hard one to start off. Although some on TRF have gotten lucky, so it can happen…

The most important thing is choosing the right AD it can make the difference between getting a piece or not. Follow up once in a while with them and you will be rewarded.

Happy Hunting!
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:53 AM   #5
JAJ2349
"TRF" Member

Watch: Fifty Fathoms
From what I’m told by the two dealers I use, they will sell a Datejust, Day/Date and Oyster Perpetual (minus the popular colors) to anyone.

Typically, you will need a purchase history for the sports models.
JAJ2349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:20 PM   #6
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
My breaking point was my very first visit to an AD. Yeah, sure I didn't know much about Rolexes at that point but to be treated like I just fell off the turnip truck was a bit much... I went with a reputable grey and the whole process was pleasant and professional.

Now since then I've had some great interactions with AD's. Wearing a Rolex into the shop is certainly a good start though.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:25 PM   #7
rg9390
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
If you are looking for multiple Rolexes, and knowing you want a couple Date Just / OP, then I think building the AD relationship is enough.

Meanwhile, if you are looking for just one sports model and that's it, then go gray. Except for SS Daytona, most of the sports models are not too far from retail.
Old Today, 12:36 PM   #8
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

It depends what tier they are to what they’ll get in their shipments, but they usually get a shipment every 1-2 weeks. What piece did you put your name down for? Any history with either dealer?
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:52 PM   #9
cascadez71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod727 View Post
I bought gray after shopping or trying to buy from AD. David SW for me. To be fair I bought mine before all of this nonsense started, the price on my 116610 was actually just a fraction under retail but again that was 2016. On another note it just came back from Rolex Dallas service center and she is like new again!
ETA: I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.
May I ask what your turnaround time was for routine service?
cascadez71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:26 PM   #10
Skee-Bum
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondesNwatches View Post
It depends what tier they are to what they’ll get in their shipments, but they usually get a shipment every 1-2 weeks. What piece did you put your name down for? Any history with either dealer?
The pieces I put my name in for are these:126710GRNR, 226570. No, I have no history with either dealer. The local AD seemed cool, the one in the resort town, was very nice, but possibly trying to hit on my hot friend. So far the only dealer that told me no chance, was in Dallas. They said, that they only sell to locals, which is fine.

I will just wait it out for a while longer, and if that doesn’t work will turn to the gray market. Just wanted the experience of picking up my watch from an AD, but could be something I just built up in my head and isn’t really important in the grand scheme of things.
Skee-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:11 PM   #11
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The answers to your questions depend on both you and the AD. It's different for everybody. Good luck with it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:24 PM   #12
joli160
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
By checking in from time to time the AD probably suggests buying stuff you don’t want.
If the AD route is the right way comes down to which watch you want. In many occasions the grey route will be cheaper, faster and not frustrating
Old Today, 04:35 PM   #13
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skee-Bum View Post
The pieces I put my name in for are these:126710GRNR, 226570. No, I have no history with either dealer. The local AD seemed cool, the one in the resort town, was very nice, but possibly trying to hit on my hot friend. So far the only dealer that told me no chance, was in Dallas. They said, that they only sell to locals, which is fine.

I will just wait it out for a while longer, and if that doesn’t work will turn to the gray market. Just wanted the experience of picking up my watch from an AD, but could be something I just built up in my head and isn’t really important in the grand scheme of things.
The explorer especially a black dial will be much easier as a first Rolex than the GMT. Will this be a “one and done” or are you looking to build a collection? Also looks like we’re in the same neck of the woods so feel free to PM me too if that’s easier.

Welcome to the forum!
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:19 PM   #14
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
The explorer especially a black dial will be much easier as a first Rolex than the GMT. Will this be a “one and done” or are you looking to build a collection? Also looks like we’re in the same neck of the woods so feel free to PM me too if that’s easier.

Welcome to the forum!
The above is sound advice and echos what my thoughts are.
winst is online now   Reply With Quote