The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old Today, 03:05 AM   #1
edyu
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

How much worse is 5212a vs 5226g

I couldn't find the comment anymore but I recall someone said (paraphrasing) 5212a lugs/case is horrible compared to other Patek watch such as 5226g and he vastly prefers 5226g over 5212a as a result.

Can someone which experience with one or the other or even both comment on this? I've been asking for a 5212a from my AD for awhile so I haven't seen it in person. Would love to hear from owners about this as I do care about case/lug shapes. Thank you.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:07 AM   #2
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Seems like dumb hyperbole to me. Many people love both the 5212 and the 5226. Pick whichever one you like.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:19 AM   #3
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Forget what other people think. Watch buying is highly personal and we can all appreciate (most) watches for what they are.

The 5212a is not in super high demand but not many come through because its steel and generally speaking Patek dont really commit to increasing their steel watch supply.

I think the 5212a is actually quite an interesting reference, certainly unique. The 5226g is just a good solid option. Not particularly interesting, just v.nice.

Regarding the lugs, this, like the PC 5320g have stamped out cases. Like some dials on the complications and down range, they are also stamped. Probably Patek trying to increase supply over more references whilst dealing with the lack of skilled watchmakers. There is at least a 12 year lag for foundation Patek standards, so it's a big issue perhaps causing them to move into some machine automation. I dont think that sits well with some people. I like the double and triple step lugs. But the side casing on the 5226 is pretty impressive. The issue I have with many modern Patek's is the size and balance. I dont get why so many new references have to be so big and cavernous. The 5326g on the other hand has much better balance.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:53 AM   #4
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Forget what other people think. Watch buying is highly personal and we can all appreciate (most) watches for what they are.

The 5212a is not in super high demand but not many come through because its steel and generally speaking Patek dont really commit to increasing their steel watch supply.

I think the 5212a is actually quite an interesting reference, certainly unique. The 5226g is just a good solid option. Not particularly interesting, just v.nice.

Regarding the lugs, this, like the PC 5320g have stamped out cases. Like some dials on the complications and down range, they are also stamped. Probably Patek trying to increase supply over more references whilst dealing with the lack of skilled watchmakers. There is at least a 12 year lag for foundation Patek standards, so it's a big issue perhaps causing them to move into some machine automation. I dont think that sits well with some people. I like the double and triple step lugs. But the side casing on the 5226 is pretty impressive. The issue I have with many modern Patek's is the size and balance. I dont get why so many new references have to be so big and cavernous. The 5326g on the other hand has much better balance.

I happen to like the 5212A a lot, my issue is the weight I prefer a heavier watch that’s the only reason I haven’t picked it up. Buy what you like and filter out the noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hgg43c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:17 AM   #5
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edyu View Post
I couldn't find the comment anymore but I recall someone said (paraphrasing) 5212a lugs/case is horrible compared to other Patek watch such as 5226g and he vastly prefers 5226g over 5212a as a result.

Can someone which experience with one or the other or even both comment on this? I've been asking for a 5212a from my AD for awhile so I haven't seen it in person. Would love to hear from owners about this as I do care about case/lug shapes. Thank you.

I may have commented on this in the past. Have tried both on and own 5226g- due to L2L length and shape, the 5226g fits a smaller wrist better IMO. I was thinking of adding 5212a but need to try on again (it’s been awhile) to see if it wears well on me. Don’t want to guess on a 40k watch or get it and it be just a touch too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:23 AM   #6
edyu

Thank you for the answers. It's so hard to find a 5212a to try on at the AD (they don't even have an exhibition one).
Old Today, 04:24 AM   #7
edyu

And regarding L2L, I'm starting to trend to smaller watches now and I'm having problem even with 40mm nowadays but most Patek watches nowadays are 40mm+.