The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 November 2023, 04:45 AM   #1
Redemption144
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Talk about toughness 🙄

Here I was saying how tough the Rolex EXII could be inherently by its design…
Has anyone had issue with sapphire crystal edge chipping with any of their watches? Especially right on the beveled chamfer. Seems odd for an impact to be there and nowhere else.
Been wearing EXII for years and never had a chipping issue like this (16570, 216570 and now on this brand new 226570). Especially because this one is fairly new (few months old but I mainly wear my polars) and I don’t wear it much. The bezel isn’t even scratched on the 24h 1pm where the crystal is chipped. Surely I would also remember hitting the watch to cause that?
Anyways - it is odd. Probably will bring it in as it might be a leak cause down the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5466.jpeg (152.4 KB, 856 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5465.jpeg (153.1 KB, 854 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5464.jpeg (143.8 KB, 853 views)
Redemption144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 05:02 AM   #2
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Sh!t happens. Personally, I would replace the crystal..
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 05:02 AM   #3
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Really odd one. That’s a decent chip. Had to have hit just right for no other issues. Hopefully they can get it fixed up quickly for you.
Old 22 November 2023, 05:14 AM   #4
Redemption144
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S’portEye View Post
Sh!t happens. Personally, I would replace the crystal..
Yes - definitely.
Old 22 November 2023, 05:19 AM   #5
watchmaker
TechXpert

Chipping on the crystal edge due to knocking is just about the most most common damage I see on Rolex watches. I’ve changed more crystals than I can count.

You’re not alone btw, almost nobody remembers the knock that caused it
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 05:39 AM   #6
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
Quote:
Originally Posted by s’porteye View Post
sh!t happens. Personally, i would replace the crystal..
+1
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 05:41 AM   #7
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Nothing is perfect! Just get the crystal replaced by RSC.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 06:22 AM   #8
frank gama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption144 View Post
Has anyone had issue with sapphire crystal edge chipping with any of their watches? Especially right on the beveled chamfer. Seems odd for an impact to be there and nowhere else.
Been wearing EXII for years and never had a chipping issue like this (16570, 216570 and now on this brand new 226570). Especially because this one is fairly new (few months old but I mainly wear my polars) and I don’t wear it much. The bezel isn’t even scratched on the 24h 1pm where the crystal is chipped. Surely I would also remember hitting the watch to cause that?
Anyways - it is odd. Probably will bring it in as it might be a leak cause down the road.
Had exactly the same happen to me many years ago when I knocked my then new datejust against a supermarket trolley. Had the crystal changed and still enjoying the watch 25 years later. Nowadays its is extremely rare for me to knock my watch. I suppose most watch lovers learn eventually how to move around without knocking their pride and joy.
frank gama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 06:26 AM   #9
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

it was probably hit from the top (dial)and at just the slightest angle for that to happen IMHO.
most of the time I hit mine, which is rare, is usually on the dial and not on the side.
HONDABBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 06:40 AM   #10
daysky1
"TRF" Member

I noticed a very small chip on one of my crystals, not nearly as large as yours, but now I look for it and can't find it. Maybe it was just lint or dust or smudge?? But it was enough to make me wonder, like you, just what did I do....If you take a picture of the laser etched cornet at the 6 o'clock before sending it in, then when getting it back take a picture of the same on the replaced one there might be a sideways "s" in the bottom of the cornet indicating a "service crystal", I have seen this on older ones but not sure if they are continuing it on the new ones. Just an interesting tidbit. Oh you can light up the cornet by shining a small flashlight at the 12 o'clock like a sunrise and the crystal edges become white which means the light is traveling through the crystal flat ways. The light is caught by the laser etching causing it to become a white cornet. You may have already known this but just in case you didn't I thought I'd mention it. I like to do this and take macro pictures of the etching.
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 06:45 AM   #11
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
My crystals get flea bites, industry term for small chips on the edge of the crystal. I have never had one that big, but it happens if you are living a full and fun life. Replace the crystal during your next service.
Old 22 November 2023, 06:50 AM   #12
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sorry about the chip but nice NATO strap, mind sharing a photo of it and the name&source maybe?

Thank you and good luck with the repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 06:55 AM   #13
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Sorry to see that chip on such a nice watch (and strap!) Surely it's painful being new. I wear a 226570 Polar my self. Your photo made me check it just now.

I would have to send it in and get a new crystal right away!
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 06:56 AM   #14
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
It's all dependant on how close to a service the watch is from my point of view.
As it's new you could hold out and get it replaced at service time. To be frank, given where it is and the severity I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the required list of things they quote on anyway.
If it cracks further before service then naturally it will need attention.

A strike on or from anything that's reasonably hard enough at the right angle will chip a Crystal.
My then fiance smacked her engagement ring against the Crystal of my DSSD which put the smallest chip in it that one could just feel with the fingernail. Needless to say it was replaced at service as a requirement.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 07:01 AM   #15
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Chipping on the crystal edge due to knocking is just about the most most common damage I see on Rolex watches. I’ve changed more crystals than I can count.

I completely agree with this and have a very similar/identical experience.

As for the OP, that chip is pretty big and I would get the crystal replaced for this.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 07:07 AM   #16
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Yep, have that replaced OP.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 07:48 AM   #17
Redemption144
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post

On that chamfered edge like that? Wow - that is interesting, I would have thought the beveled angle helps deflect it somewhat as opposed to the large flat. But what do I know - obviously it happens 😝
Old 22 November 2023, 08:09 AM   #18
TheVision
"TRF" Member

To be honest, no mechanical/metal watch is really tough..lol. At $10k, it's just a piece of man jewlery. I've destructed a seiko diver from a mountain bike fall. Ain't the watch's fault...

If u really want a tough watch, get a GShock. Ya can literally throw the watch at a wall and nothing will happen and it will tell accurate time for years afterwards.

Thats why in military/law enforcement, almost everyone wears a GShock (or Suunto) of some kind. My cuszin is a CHP officer and has a 5 digit sub but on duty, he wears his trusty 10 year old Casio Rangeman. The rolex is when he's hanging out at my house eating bbq and drinkning Scotch..lol.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 10:22 AM   #19
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Sapphire glass is extremely hard but also extremely brittle. Especially if there was a small, minor manufacturing defect, it wouldn't take all that much force to cause that, IMO, and that's probably why you don't recall the impact.

This is one area where a plastic crystal is vastly superior to sapphire glass.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 11:14 AM   #20
noshame
"TRF" Member

Did you wear your ExpII out on a night of drinking? It's an honest question. The worst scratch I've put on my SubDate is after a night out with the boys and then when I got home I was rolling around on the floor, with my watch hitting it as I was talking jibberish. At least this is what my wife tells me. I am almost always very wrist aware, but not that night! Good luck with the crystal replacement.
Old 22 November 2023, 11:24 AM   #21
Redemption144
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogdanS View Post
Sorry about the chip but nice NATO strap, mind sharing a photo of it and the name&source maybe?

Thank you and good luck with the repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is an Erika original all black. But the Watch steward nylon one is really very similar for a fraction of cost and the option to not have any branding on the clasp/hardware. Their other offerings are a bit too soft and elastic for my life style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5471.jpeg (131.2 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5469.jpeg (155.9 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5468.jpeg (137.3 KB, 375 views)
Old 22 November 2023, 11:50 AM   #22
Redemption144
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshame View Post
Did you wear your ExpII out on a night of drinking? It's an honest question. The worst scratch I've put on my SubDate is after a night out with the boys and then when I got home I was rolling around on the floor, with my watch hitting it as I was talking jibberish. At least this is what my wife tells me. I am almost always very wrist aware, but not that night! Good luck with the crystal replacement.

No I don’t have a good story like that. Honestly I don’t know what I did - but it was nothing outrageous (that I remember… maybe I should ask my wife!). It still is the new watch so I tend to baby it. The other ones I wear to do nearly everything all the time. Obviously mountain biking and rough machine or car work, I wear a beater as it can get scratched and dinged in a hurry.
Old 22 November 2023, 01:24 PM   #23
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

I had a similar chip on my datejust. On the edge of the crystal like that, about the same size. I don’t remember when it happened either.

The crystal was a $120 part charge when they changed it out during service. So pretty cheap in my opinion. I did it as part of a full overhaul. I’m not sure how much they would charge on the service side to just change the crystal
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:23 AM   #24
Redemption144
"TRF" Member

Just to give an update because it ended up a bit surprising.
Brought it to Rolex in … April 2024. I procrastinated and don’t wear it often enough. Rolex obviously deemed it a dramatic crack with potential water intrusion (��)… the watch was less than a year old ��. Left the watch with them.
2 weeks later they call me with the crystal replaced. Cost was $147 all included. I was surprised. Like very surprised. I paid and I have been wearing the watch all summer.
Old Today, 11:52 AM   #25
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Great update. Always love a happy ending. Best part is that she is back on your wrist wear she belongs
Old Today, 01:24 PM   #26
edyu

Quote:
Just to give an update because it ended up a bit surprising.
Brought it to Rolex in … April 2024. I procrastinated and don’t wear it often enough. Rolex obviously deemed it a dramatic crack with potential water intrusion (��)… the watch was less than a year old ��. Left the watch with them.
2 weeks later they call me with the crystal replaced. Cost was $147 all included. I was surprised. Like very surprised. I paid and I have been wearing the watch all summer.
I have my FPJ sapphire crystal scraped badly after I fell off Onewheel. I'm still debating whether to replace it or not as it can be a good reminder for me that life is precious and I'm more fragile than I'd like to admit (broke my wrist bone).
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:44 PM   #27
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Ouch! It happens to all of us, if you hit the crystal at the right angle and it does not have be hard it will chip or break. This is why for certain things I take my watch off and get the look from friends and family. Like what are doing? Really! I respond yes! Really.

Glad you were to sort it out.

Cheers,
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote