The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 December 2009, 08:55 PM   #1
satellite1
"TRF" Member

How to know if 3185 or 3186

Hello,

How to now if cal.3185 orr 3186 inside Pepsi GMT 16710 from 2008 dec. serie Z 367...
Thanks in advance.
satellite1
satellite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2009, 09:01 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satellite1 View Post
Hello,

How to now if cal.3185 orr 3186 inside Pepsi GMT 16710 from 2008 dec. serie Z 367...
Thanks in advance.
satellite1
Check out the post by Tools in this thread but 3185 or 3186 it dont really matter.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ht=wiggle+test

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 04:16 AM   #3
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

The Crown Method...

There is also the Crown test posted at http://www.minus4plus6.com/paracromblu16710.htm#crown

Essentially it is as follows:

The Crown Method

Another method for discerning a 3185 with the 3186 movement is through the the Crown Rotation Method. This method is another way to discern the type of movement without having to remove the caseback. Because the calendar and hour-hand setting mechanism was redesigned in the 3186 movement, the number of turns of the crown to turn the 12 hour hand is different on a 3186 than it is on a 3185.

To perform this test, unscrew the crown such that the crown is in the hand setting position. With the crown face-up, count how many hours the hour-hand travels with one full revolution of the winding crown.
  • 3185: one complete crown revolution makes the hour hand jumps 6 timezones/hours
  • 3186: one complete crown revolution equals 8-9 timezones/hours
This tip was provided to me by Ed who discovered this method on a French watch forum.

-Sheldon
Old 13 December 2009, 04:20 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonsmith View Post
There is also the Crown test posted at http://www.minus4plus6.com/paracromblu16710.htm#crown

The Crown Method

Another method for discerning a 3185 with the 3186 movement is through the the Crown Rotation Method. This method is another way to discern the type of movement without having to remove the caseback. Because the calendar and hour-hand setting mechanism was redesigned in the 3186 movement, the number of turns of the crown to turn the 12 hour hand is different on a 3186 than it is on a 3185.

To perform this test, unscrew the crown such that the crown is in the hand setting position. With the crown face-up, count how many hours the hour-hand travels with one full revolution of the winding crown.
  • 3185: one complete crown revolution makes the hour hand jumps 6 timezones/hours
This tip was provided to me by Ed who discovered this method on a French watch forum.

-Sheldon
Spot-on, Sheldon......but I've actually tried this experiment and the results are as follows:

With the 3185 movement, one revolution of the CROWN, makes the hour hand jump forward FIVE hours.

With the 3186 movement, one revolution of the CROWN, makes the hour hand jump forward EIGHT hours - tried this on my Exp-II (V-series with 3186 calibre) as well as the TT GMT-IIC.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 06:27 AM   #5
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonsmith View Post

The Crown Method

-Sheldon
Thanks for that great info and link Sheldon....
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 06:45 AM   #6
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellite1 View Post
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
satellite1
It's a 3185 since it's an early Z.
Old 13 December 2009, 06:55 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post
It's a 3185 since it's an early Z.
Correct!!

Some of the later on M-series would have the 3186, but you would need to get lucky in that respect, because some M's had it and some not.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 13 December 2009, 06:58 AM   #8
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Correct!!

Some of the later on M-series would have the 3186, but you would need to get lucky in that respect, because some M's had it and some not.

JJ
I still haven't heard of any confirmed M's with 3185's. Overall, serials were a pretty foolproof way of checking this until you reached right around the Z8 area.
Old 13 December 2009, 06:59 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
I still haven't heard of any confirmed M's with 3185's. Overall, serials were a pretty foolproof way of checking this until you reached right around the Z8 area.
Well, you could be right......I was thinking of the Exp-II, but then I realised the OP had a Pepsi GMT-II!!

JJ

Old 13 December 2009, 07:43 AM   #10
HDHNTER
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This was my thought as well.
HDHNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 02:40 AM   #11
satellite1
"TRF" Member

Thanks too all of you .... super!!

satellite1
satellite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 02:44 AM   #12
submariner16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner,daytona
3186 movement started on the m series gmt2 pepsi. last production..
submariner16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 02:45 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner16610 View Post
So does that mean ALL M-series GMT-II (16710) have been fitted with the 3186 movement?

JJ

Old 15 December 2009, 03:35 AM   #14
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner16610 View Post
The actually started in the late Z serials, from that point on, they should have the 3186.
Old 15 December 2009, 04:15 AM   #15
JUSTROLEXES
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 ??? Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Yacht-Master
the ones with the Z don't have the 3186.
I have sold 5 of the 3186 in the past year and all of them had an M3 serial...so I would guess that it has to have an M2 to M6 serial and they all had the stick dial as well...
I hope that helped.

JUSTROLEXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 04:41 AM   #16
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

There is a Z9 on one of the forums that was opened and found to have a 3186, and I have a Z86 GMT which passes the wiggle and the crown test exactly as my M36 GMT does However both are brand new and I don't intend to open the cases as of now. It has also been mentioned on these forums that there was a Z77 opened and it had a 3185 movement in it. As time passes and all members keep reporting we will get closer and closer to where it all started. If there are some Late Z GMT Models out there I would believe these to be the rarer of the M series GMT's , Only MHO.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 05:12 AM   #17
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrolexes View Post
the ones with the Z don't have the 3186.
I have sold 5 of the 3186 in the past year and all of them had an M3 serial...so I would guess that it has to have an M2 to M6 serial and they all had the stick dial as well...
I hope that helped.
Wrong - late production Z's had 3186s. Dials don't mean anything.
Old 15 December 2009, 05:19 AM   #18
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

I agree Fully with Scottschoe
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 05:24 AM   #19
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Uggg now I gotta go home and play with my White Exp II M to see...

I really did not care that much till now since you guys got my OCD going here...

Perhaps my ADD will kick in and I will just forget all about it by the time I get home.

Luckily I wore my IWC Aquatimer Ti Chrono today or else I wouldn't even be able to type this as Id be trying to figure it out ASAP.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 05:41 AM   #20
HDHNTER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wrong - late production Z's had 3186s. Dials don't mean anything.
This is the right answer.
HDHNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 06:50 AM   #21
ayres
"TRF" Member

Watch: whatever runs
the same principle applies to the exp2s. i have a z977xxx with a 3186. i've encountered/communicated with others who have a late z gmt ii with the 3186. right, dials mean nothing. i tried putting together a table of serials to discern when they switched. i know of one z7 with a the 3186. presumably, all z8s will have them.
ayres is offline   Reply With Quote