The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 December 2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Speed
"TRF" Member

Excuse my AD Rant....

Well, I got back from a weekend in Vegas. I mainly went there for food, shopping and relaxing. My wife and I love staying at the Wynn and the late night mall meandering.

I was looking forward to checking out the Rolex ADs up and down the strip...hoping they were different than the ADs in my town. No such luck. Even worse, I find myself really liking the GMTIIC now

A Jerk salesman at Tourneau (Turdneau) upon hearing me ask if he had a SS Daytona, asked me..."Why do you want a Daytona?" He then asked me if I wanted a Milgauss. He was one of three ADs who asked me if I wanted that thing. Apologies to Milgauss fans, but I don't care for them.

After he walked away I lingered a while waiting for my wife. He says, "You still here???" Yeah, I say. What are you asking for the GMTIIC? He says $7,000. I say, thats MSRP! He says , Yeah, plus tax. Basically "FU" There was NO ONE ELSE IN THE ROLEX SECTION, it was 11:30 PM. Was he busy??? I think NOT. I wanted to go complain to the manager this morning before I left, but did not want to waste my last AM in Vegas.

The folks at the Wynn AD were nice I must say. Constantly asking if they could show us watches. One woman was kind enough to let me try on the White Gold Daytona, and told me that there were no SS's to be found. The Ben Bridge sales person told me there was a 3-year waiting list? Whatever.

At any rate folks, other than "peace of mind" I remain unconvinced that buying from an AD has many benefits...other than spending a couple grand more than I would with a Lawrence B or David SW on TRF!!!

Thanks. I needed that.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 06:30 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
That AD was a complete and utter waste of time.

Get in touch with one of the reliable sellers here on TRF and get the watch delivered to your doorstep at a much cheaper price.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 06:36 PM   #3
sushisummo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hmmm......?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post

Get in touch with one of the reliable sellers here on TRF and get the watch delivered to your doorstep at a much cheaper price.

JJ

X200,000,000,000,000,000

WISHLIST: Too many to list......
Member #23367
sushisummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 10:28 PM   #4
DWdrummer
Banned

Quote:

JJ
THIS

At least everyone here is pleasant and courteous as well. I dont understand how these people and AD's can comport themselves this way. If someone is in your shop and is going to spend the kind of money a Rolex cost you should go out of your way to MAKE them feel special and focus on their needs. Do these people not WANT our money or something?

I have been treated better than that in Best Buy while buying a $400 LCD for my bedroom. It's unreal really to think people are treated that way while shopping for a Rolex. It should be a memorable and joyous occasion, not an exercise in retail misery.
DWdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 11:23 PM   #5
therolexguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The people here are great....and there are also great ADs as well, check out the "great AD" thread someone started a few days ago. They're out there but sometimes hard to find. Sometimes, it takes a purchase to start a relationship and that's going to happen in your home town. Most people in Vegas, like me, go there to visit, talk to the salesperson, and then they never see you again. It's too bad you had that experience there.....to bad for the AD as well.....Good luck NOT buying the new GMT! It's awesome and probably my next one as well.
therolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 11:26 PM   #6
novae500
"TRF" Member

gues the SA didn't want to be bothered and ready to get off work? either way, he should treat all customers like the AD in the Wynn does...

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 11:27 PM   #7
train-time
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: less
Great rant and unfortunately another typical experience at an AD!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 11:27 PM   #8
WatchTimes

Watch: It's a Rolex!
I have always had wonderful experiences at the AD's in Vegas.

Biggest mistake anyone makes anywhere is going to Tourneau and talking to their employees.

Other AD's are MUCH better there to deal with.

Also it is still hard to get a Daytona in LV as they have people who travel from all around the world on vacations on their waiting list.

Either way I do agree Id rather deal with TempoKing or others here.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 12:16 AM   #9
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by masugu View Post
At any rate folks, other than "peace of mind" I remain unconvinced that buying from an AD has many benefits...other than spending a couple grand more than I would with a Lawrence B or David SW on TRF!!!
+1

totally agree. Why bother with an AD when you have David!
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 12:18 AM   #10
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYogi View Post
Biggest mistake anyone makes anywhere is going to Tourneau and talking to their employees.
I'm really amazed at how consistent Tourneau is at their hiring process. It seems they really go out of their way to hire the most arrogant people. I've been to 3 already, and the treatment has been all the same.
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 01:04 AM   #11
robbonds
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROO
You should be able go get 10% off a new GMt everywhere and 20% off if you shop around enough. I hate arrogant sales people. Most don't own the high end products they sell. Whether I'm buying a Merc, Porsche, rolex or diamond ring there's always some arrogant sales person that loses my sale. I keep looking for the nice person to give the comission to.
Old 15 December 2009, 01:14 AM   #12
Speed
"TRF" Member

Thanks again for letting me whine.

The one positive thing thy came out of my experience was that I learned my wife likes the Lady Yachtmaster TT with black dial markers. Would not try it on...as she did not want to "get attached" but good knowledge for a rainy day.

Understood re the tourist trade in Vegas. However, it seems to me a sales rep would have to be extra nice and courteous given the "competition" is a block or so away.
Old 15 December 2009, 01:42 AM   #13
Salmosalar
"TRF" Member

Watch: TUDOR ICONAUT
Icon14 You are not whining...

Quote:
Thanks again for letting me whine.

The one positive thing thy came out of my experience was that I learned my wife likes the Lady Yachtmaster TT with black dial markers. Would not try it on...as she did not want to "get attached" but good knowledge for a rainy day.

Understood re the tourist trade in Vegas. However, it seems to me a sales rep would have to be extra nice and courteous given the "competition" is a block or so away.
Stating the facts is not whining in my opinion.

Thank you for relating this sorry episode. I am reminded of the recent WSJ article which addressed the fact that so far this year 1579 jewelery makers, wholesalers and retailers have liquidated.

There will be more if the ADs treat their clients like you were treated.
Old 15 December 2009, 01:44 AM   #14
Salmosalar
"TRF" Member

Watch: TUDOR ICONAUT
Icon14 What he said

Quote:

JJ
+1 .
Old 15 December 2009, 02:05 AM   #15
Watch Professor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC; Sub Date
While there are plenty of jerks working at the big "T", I've had the good fortune to find three salesmen who were knowledgable and friendly- Louis at the Walt Whitman Mall in Huntington, Long Island; Alex at the mall in Roosevelt Field, Long Island; and especially Paul Erhardt at the Bal Harbor Sops in Bal Harbor, Florida. The last spent a considerable time with my wife and me, showed considerable knowledge and patience showing us watches and looking up time zones for a Patek that we were looking at. He's also a WIS who owns 2 red subs..
Watch Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 02:54 AM   #16
submariner16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner,daytona
"t" is the worst..
submariner16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 03:06 AM   #17
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner16610 View Post
"t" is the worst..
X 100,000,000

Mas, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience but I have NEVER had a good one at TURDenou, as you so elequantly put it.

As for purchasing from TRF as opposed to ADs, I see benefits in both. The people here are great, SteveMullohland, DavidSW, TempoKing and several others are exceptional to work with, and I reccomend them all highly.

On the other hand, I truly enjoyed the experience of purchasing my Daytona from my AD, (Ben Bridge). Every time I walk in there I get treated like royalty, they answer all my questions, clean my watch etc. etc. etc. Maybe I'm vain, but I really enjoy the whole experience. Is that worth the extra money you will pay at an AD as compared to TRF? Only you can decide. Best of luck to you either way!

P.S. If anyone would like to work with an AD, I will be glad to give out contact info for mine here in San Diego, they are absolutely fantastic and I will put you in touch with the best person in the store. If you're at all interested, it's worth a call.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 03:09 AM   #18
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
I am a professional salesman...wholesale, B2B sales.....and I hate to hear of "jerk" sales people. I am proud of my profession.....someone has to sell the stuff that's made.
I treat every account of mine, big or small like a king...........it's a matter of respect.
The only Rolex ad's I've been to in the recent past are Geary's Beverly Hills, they were pleasant & Le Bijou in Pasadena, nice folks too.
Dr. Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 03:34 AM   #19
omg

Quote:

JJ
Mr. JJ,

Is the 2 years factory warranty still valid if buying from the reliable sellers (David and everyone else) here?
Beside AD experience, is anything different?

Thank you sir,
Tommy
omg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 03:47 AM   #20
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
I understand your comments. That always happens to me @ Vegas 'T'. No one was in the store, I walk in wearing my YG DD and 5 sales people continue chatting between themselves!! I waled around, saw the displays, spent 30 mins in there and no one approached me.

But I also agree that not all Ts are the same; several years ago Bob @ T-Houston was very helpful.
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 03:50 AM   #21
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Well, I got back from a weekend in Vegas. I mainly went there for food, shopping and relaxing. My wife and I love staying at the Wynn and the late night mall meandering.

I was looking forward to checking out the Rolex ADs up and down the strip...hoping they were different than the ADs in my town. No such luck. Even worse, I find myself really liking the GMTIIC now

A Jerk salesman at Tourneau (Turdneau) upon hearing me ask if he had a SS Daytona, asked me..."Why do you want a Daytona?" He then asked me if I wanted a Milgauss. He was one of three ADs who asked me if I wanted that thing. Apologies to Milgauss fans, but I don't care for them.

After he walked away I lingered a while waiting for my wife. He says, "You still here???" Yeah, I say. What are you asking for the GMTIIC? He says $7,000. I say, thats MSRP! He says , Yeah, plus tax. Basically "FU" There was NO ONE ELSE IN THE ROLEX SECTION, it was 11:30 PM. Was he busy??? I think NOT. I wanted to go complain to the manager this morning before I left, but did not want to waste my last AM in Vegas.

The folks at the Wynn AD were nice I must say. Constantly asking if they could show us watches. One woman was kind enough to let me try on the White Gold Daytona, and told me that there were no SS's to be found. The Ben Bridge sales person told me there was a 3-year waiting list? Whatever.

Thanks. I needed that.
Nice rant, Bill. And Turdneau.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 03:55 AM   #22
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
X 100,000,000

Mas, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience but I have NEVER had a good one at TURDenou, as you so elequantly put it.

As for purchasing from TRF as opposed to ADs, I see benefits in both. The people here are great, SteveMullohland, DavidSW, TempoKing and several others are exceptional to work with, and I reccomend them all highly.

On the other hand, I truly enjoyed the experience of purchasing my Daytona from my AD, (Ben Bridge). Every time I walk in there I get treated like royalty, they answer all my questions, clean my watch etc. etc. etc. Maybe I'm vain, but I really enjoy the whole experience. Is that worth the extra money you will pay at an AD as compared to TRF? Only you can decide. Best of luck to you either way!

P.S. If anyone would like to work with an AD, I will be glad to give out contact info for mine here in San Diego, they are absolutely fantastic and I will put you in touch with the best person in the store. If you're at all interested, it's worth a call.

Good points Paul.

I bought my wife's wedding ring at Tiffanys. She gets the whole clean your ring / world class etc. treatment whenever she walks in. A Tiffany setting / diamond is easy to spot. We actually stopped in Tiffany during our Vegas trip.

Have not been to SD in a while, but I may ping you for your AD if I do.

Well, no burning need to buy a watch right now...but I had the VISA card all ready to throwdown if I had seen somthing I liked, but alas the service really turned me off.

I need to find a good source for Women's rolex - in the event I ever get one for my wife. Our sellers here focus mostly on men's models.
Old 15 December 2009, 04:47 AM   #23
diversified
"TRF" Member

I think the attitude of retail is just a general problem in any large retail operation anymore, most sales people don't give a crap with the exception of the occasionally manager showing some effort towards the customer.
I try to purchased from smaller retailers and can't say I've had a bad experience. It's their store, they care!
diversified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 05:18 AM   #24
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diversified View Post
I think the attitude of retail is just a general problem in any large retail operation anymore, most sales people don't give a crap with the exception of the occasionally manager showing some effort towards the customer.
I try to purchased from smaller retailers and can't say I've had a bad experience. It's their store, they care!
Another point well taken... A Mom / Pop operation might be worth a try. None of those near me that I am aware of save for the Turdneau / Shreve's of the world.

I may look at some place in Milwaukee in the future when visiting the in-laws. WI folks are nice in general I have found. Would have to think there may be some upside there...

Thanks
Old 15 December 2009, 05:32 AM   #25
accutronman
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, GMT IIc
I was in Vegas a few months back at stopped at Tourneau to look at their overall watch selection. At the Rolex counter, I waited five minutes before I was even acknowledged as one SA was hitting on the other for a date. When I was finally acknowledged, it was with a dismissive attitude from the SAs. Further into the store, two more SAs were doing paperwork on a counter case I wanted to look into and they refused to move.

I'd love to know where Tourneau's quality control for customer service is.
accutronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 05:47 AM   #26
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accutronman View Post
I was in Vegas a few months back at stopped at Tourneau to look at their overall watch selection. At the Rolex counter, I waited five minutes before I was even acknowledged as one SA was hitting on the other for a date. When I was finally acknowledged, it was with a dismissive attitude from the SAs. Further into the store, two more SAs were doing paperwork on a counter case I wanted to look into and they refused to move.

I'd love to know where Tourneau's quality control for customer service is.
Are their reps salaried? No commission??? What else could explain it? At the Ted Baker store in the same Caesars mall, three reps were all over me to sell me a $125 shirt! Non-stop!
Old 15 December 2009, 05:59 AM   #27
novae500
"TRF" Member

thats why i hate going out to buy anything nice or out to eat. I never/rarely get the nice customer service that i would expect. Some people don't deserve to be in retail. Only place that gives good customer service is Louis Vuitton.

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 06:55 AM   #28
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Don't worry, it's 2x worse if you're a kid walking into Tourneau. I wanted to see Omegas and they always say to go check out the "Tourneau" brand watches downstairs. So out the door we went.
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote