The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 15 December 2009, 07:38 AM   #31
david9962000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
Yeah, I renewed my drivers license last week and I kept mine home.
Old 15 December 2009, 07:40 AM   #32
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
I have seen the guy in action so here is what you should looking for.

Jocke
My eyes hurt..

Old 15 December 2009, 07:50 AM   #33
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.B View Post
Always be aware of your surroundings.
Truer words are rarely spoken! Looking the person right in the eye is a sign of confidence that will deter most all hostile ideas, good call!

As for the rest of you: I thought the idea of getting jacked for my watch was scarey!?! LOL!!!

I gotta save those pics

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

Old 15 December 2009, 07:51 AM   #34
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle L View Post
My eyes hurt..

Super-JJ I can handle, but that... That is simply DISTURBING!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15 December 2009, 08:26 AM   #35
HDHNTER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep04 View Post
I fail to see how a gun would remedy this situation. If you get robbed, it is usually b some perp holding a gun to you. Any movement you make towards your gun will pompt him to shoot you.

I have never seen the point of carrying a gun. The best thing to do is to not walk back your car alone or right away. And if the worst happens, give him the stupid watch (it is not worth your life), log onto TRF and get a new one from DavidSW or Mosco.

But thats just my opinion.
Some play the victim role better then others. I for one would rather have a carry piece & never need it then one day need it & not have it. There's plenty more to worry about then just a watch getting jacked.
Old 15 December 2009, 08:36 AM   #36
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, Pam320
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDHNTER View Post
Some play the victim role better then others. I for one would rather have a carry piece & never need it then one day need it & not have it. There's plenty more to worry about then just a watch getting jacked.

I have close combat training. I am fortunate for that. Being a victim is not something I am afraid of becoming. If you do not, I fail to see how you can impale an assailant if he is pointing a gun against your back or your chest. Even if you have a gun (that is most likely tucked under your shirt or on your ankle in a holster or even worse in a glove compartment or under/between the seat of your car), any movement will worsen the situation.

And a piece of crap that holds you up, is not going to turn and run giving you time to reach for your piece. He is likely to pistol whip you unconscious so you don't follow him or pull your piece.

And God forbid that he finds your gun a takes that too.

Best situation is to not put yourself in that mess. I am not a cop, and while I respect them and have many as friends, they are not going to run to catch the perp that ran off with your gun.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Prick #8
Old 15 December 2009, 09:04 AM   #37
OrchidDR
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT GMT II
Keep you head on a swivel worked for the flight deck of an aircraft carrier and it works when out in town.
Old 15 December 2009, 09:04 AM   #38
HDHNTER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have close combat training. I am fortunate for that. Being a victim is not something I am afraid of becoming. If you do not, I fail to see how you can impale an assailant if he is pointing a gun against your back or your chest. Even if you have a gun (that is most likely tucked under your shirt or on your ankle in a holster or even worse in a glove compartment or under/between the seat of your car), any movement will worsen the situation.

And a piece of crap that holds you up, is not going to turn and run giving you time to reach for your piece. He is likely to pistol whip you unconscious so you don't follow him or pull your piece.

Best situation is to not put yourself in that mess. I am not a cop, and while I respect them and have many as friends, they are not going to run to catch the perp that ran off with your gun.
TRF isn't exactly gun friendly so this will be my last reply regarding the subject. Congrats on the self defense class, that's not a suitable sub for a good carry gun in my book though. Maybe I'm just jaded from too many trips to the sandbox but I like to have a defensive tool available should the need arise & hopefully it never will. If I was Steven Segal maybe I wouldn't care as much, lol.
Old 15 December 2009, 09:16 AM   #39
pz93c
"TRF" Member

To the OP- Well handled.
Old 15 December 2009, 10:04 AM   #40
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz93c View Post
To the OP- Well handled.
Agree! Not sure I would have thought to look the person in the eye but I like that idea.
Old 15 December 2009, 10:10 AM   #41
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDHNTER View Post
TRF isn't exactly gun friendly so this will be my last reply regarding the subject. Congrats on the self defense class, that's not a suitable sub for a good carry gun in my book though. Maybe I'm just jaded
from too many trips to the sandbox but I like to have a defensive tool available should the need arise & hopefully it never will. If I was Steven Segal maybe I wouldn't care as much, lol.

To each their own. And you are right about dropping the subject. Close combat training is hardly a "self defense class". Military training is not done to get in shape or done in a gym or studio.

From personal experience, I truly truly hope you never have to use force to protect your life or that of others. And if you do, that you will do so successfully. I have seen people with the proper training freeze in real life situations.

Back to watches.... good luck and pour me a cold one!!!!

Prick #8
Old 15 December 2009, 10:11 AM   #42
Ozzie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520 WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWdrummer View Post
Hey JJ does the term "tosser" hold the same meaning in NZ as it does in the UK?
Does it? In the UK it would get you smack in the mouth!
Sub Date 16610
Panerai PAM 111
Old 15 December 2009, 10:17 AM   #43
DWdrummer
Banned

Quote:

With all due respect to you. That is a foolish argument. You can not completely and always control every situation you will find yourself in. You can be aware of your surrounding and take other steps and precautions, but you can not control everything all the time.

I have shot CQB style and had lethal force training over the years. I can reliably draw from concealment and put rounds on target in a couple of seconds. Sometimes faster. You have the element of surprise on your side.
Granted criminals pick those they perceive as weak. I have made very stern eye contact with people whom I felt were sizing me up. They went elsewhere to be sure.

Who do you think a criminal will try to rob first? A 250lb guy who looks like a threat or a 110lb woman dragging her 2 year along behind her? Criminals are scumbags of opportunity and cowardice.

Sometimes things go south and you have to do things you would not otherwise care to do. I will not be a victim. I might go down in the fight, but I will never be a victim.

When I was 18, I had two close friends carjacked, driven to a remote construction site, gang raped and killed. They gave the jerks their money and their new SUV, but that wasnt enough. There were four scumbags and only ONE was armed. He lifted his shirt and showed his weapon and abducted them from a crowded sidewalk near a nightclub at night.
They should have never gone, but they were afraid and scared I guess. We will never know. They suffered horrible things before their deaths.

If someone walked up to me and showed a gun in his pants and demanded anything of me or mine, I will put him down. Period. I see no other alternative at that point. I hope I never find myself in such a position but I will fight until I am dead or I have control.

My two cents on it.
Old 15 December 2009, 10:28 AM   #44
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWdrummer View Post
With all due respect to you. That is a foolish argument. You can not completely and always control every situation you will find yourself in. You can be aware of your surrounding and take other steps and precautions, but you can not control everything all the time.

I have shot CQB style and had lethal force training over the years. I can reliably draw from concealment and put rounds on target in a couple of seconds. Sometimes faster. You have the element of surprise on your side.
Granted criminals pick those they perceive as weak. I have made very stern eye contact with people whom I felt were sizing me up. They went elsewhere to be sure.

Who do you think a criminal will try to rob first? A 250lb guy who looks like a threat or a 110lb woman dragging her 2 year along behind her? Criminals are scumbags of opportunity and cowardice.

Sometimes things go south and you have to do things you would not otherwise care to do. I will not be a victim. I might go down in the fight, but I will never be a victim.

When I was 18, I had two close friends carjacked, driven to a remote construction site, gang raped and killed. They gave the jerks their money and their new SUV, but that wasnt enough. There were four scumbags and only ONE was armed. He lifted his shirt and showed his weapon and abducted them from a crowded sidewalk near a nightclub at night.
They should have never gone, but they were afraid and scared I guess. We will never know. They suffered horrible things before their deaths.

If someone walked up to me and showed a gun in his pants and demanded anything of me or mine, I will put him down. Period. I see no other alternative at that point. I hope I never find myself in such a position but I will fight until I am dead or I have control.

My two cents on it.

I agree with everything you say. But, if a REAL criminal, not some punk that would flash you a gun comes up and puts a gun to your head.... Lets just say that the average person with great training wouldn't be able to react in time or just might freeze.

I am not knocking you and I am sure you have great training. But, the best defense is awareness and keeping yourself from getting into a situation in the first place. A criminal has the advantage of surprise because he's the aggressor. I rather disarm the assailant without having to pull a piece. And when I disarm, and I will, the story changes and I write the ending.

But, my original comments were made to ward off people from getting put in situations where they can be victimized. I am not arguing in favor or against weapons. All I meant to say is that most people don't or have never had to use them outside of a training facility. And real world situations are extremely and dangerously different from a class room.

The rules state that the subject of guns is not allowed and I want to stay clear of the subject. I am talking about being safe. I have my wife valet at the malls and restaurants when she is not with me. All in an effort to avoid confrontations life the OP, regrettably, had to experience.

Prick #8
Closed Thread