The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 December 2009, 03:41 PM   #1
brady
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes please
Dallas RSC Problem

I know this is probably the 1000th thread regarding a situation like this, but here it goes anyway.

I sent my 16622 in for a warranty repair. The rotating bezel did not line up properly (triangle didn't stop exactly @ 12). While this wasn't a huge issue, I figured I should get it fixed under warranty so it didn't bother me for years to come.

I received the watch back the other day and noticed that the side of the case opposite the winder has a small gouge in it. It appears someone struck it against a corner or some instrument nicked it fairly deep. I buffed the rough edges out so I can't really feel it anymore, but it is definitely visible upon inspection.

While I fully expect any watch I wear to get battle wounds over the years, it does bother me that the service center would do this and not fix. I was a bit surprised that they did not polish the case/band in the first place but definitely didn't expect it to come back in worse visible condition.

Any thoughts or comments?
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 03:51 PM   #2
Dayim

Watch: Yacht-Master S/P
Unfortunate not all AD have same standards which they must maintain. Since you are paying attention to such details, i.e. the bezel issue, this gouge will bother you even more. Therefore, I suggest that you return it to them and let them fix it otherwise you will be continuously annoyed by this gouge every time you look at your watch.
Dayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 08:40 PM   #3
walds11
"TRF" Member

I had the same type of problem with the NY RSC a few years ago. Sent a watch in for warranty work. It came back with light scratches on the caseback. Sent it back and they fixed the problem. VERY frustrating. My SS Sub Date Y serial will need a service soon. I am going to think hard about using any of the RSCs. I may use a local guy.
Old 14 December 2009, 09:11 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
I know this is probably the 1000th thread regarding a situation like this, but here it goes anyway.

I sent my 16622 in for a warranty repair. The rotating bezel did not line up properly (triangle didn't stop exactly @ 12). While this wasn't a huge issue, I figured I should get it fixed under warranty so it didn't bother me for years to come.

I received the watch back the other day and noticed that the side of the case opposite the winder has a small gouge in it. It appears someone struck it against a corner or some instrument nicked it fairly deep. I buffed the rough edges out so I can't really feel it anymore, but it is definitely visible upon inspection.

While I fully expect any watch I wear to get battle wounds over the years, it does bother me that the service center would do this and not fix. I was a bit surprised that they did not polish the case/band in the first place but definitely didn't expect it to come back in worse visible condition.

While I can understand your frustration in the RSC damaging your watch cannot understand you sending it back.So your bezel was perhaps one click out the bezel is meant to be turned and not left permanently at the 12 position .And that very very slight deviation would not have made any difference to the function as a watch or using the bezel for time lapse while underwater.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 09:48 PM   #5
davestan
"TRF" Member

You know it will annoy you, so send it back for a proper polish. I find if I try to rectify these things myself I often make them worse.
All part of the pleasure and pain of our hobby
davestan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 12:53 AM   #6
brady
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes please
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
While I can understand your frustration in the RSC damaging your watch cannot understand you sending it back.So your bezel was perhaps one click out the bezel is meant to be turned and not left permanently at the 12 position .And that very very slight deviation would not have made any difference to the function as a watch or using the bezel for time lapse while underwater.
I'm not sure what you do not understand. I purchased an item that is supposed to have the triangle line up exactly at 12. This item did not. Since this item costs as much as a brand new Kia, I figure I might as well have it operate aesthetically as intended. If you bought a new car and the exhaust had a nasty rattle, would you not drive it to the dealer and have them resolve the issue even if the rattle isn't going to hinder your ability to drive the car or get from point A to point B?
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 01:07 AM   #7
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Call them, and allow them to fix it.
Old 15 December 2009, 01:08 AM   #8
walds11
"TRF" Member

I am with you Brady. We pay good money for these watches and they should be darn near perfect.
It's one thing for th RSC to fix a problem, but please don't hack the watch up in the process. That is my biggest complaint with the RSCs.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you do not understand. I purchased an item that is supposed to have the triangle line up exactly at 12. This item did not. Since this item costs as much as a brand new Kia, I figure I might as well have it operate aesthetically as intended. If you bought a new car and the exhaust had a nasty rattle, would you not drive it to the dealer and have them resolve the issue even if the rattle isn't going to hinder your ability to drive the car or get from point A to point B?
Old 15 December 2009, 01:09 AM   #9
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
This is a great reason to have an experienced local watchmaker [preferably with a Rolex parts account]. My watchmaker could [and would] have reset the bezel while you waited and at no charge [at least if you are an established customer].
Sorry to hear this as it's a hassle to send the watch for such a long turn around for something that takes seconds to fix.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 01:36 AM   #10
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If they hit the case, I believe they should fix it for you... but I do not understand why you would expect RSC to polish the case and also the bracelet if the only problem was on the case. Anything you send RSC if it is out of design tolerances, they will try to fix it. I think your watch just slipped the quality control, or if someone saw it, he probably thought it was there before... common mistake.
Old 15 December 2009, 09:26 AM   #11
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
Quote:
PADI, with all due respect, I side with the guy, if my triangle did not line up perfectly at 12, I'd go nuts! At $6000.00, it'd better!

As for Dallas, they could not have been more pleasant, and I had the exact problem as you, plus more damage done by my dealer. Dallas polished my watch for free (even though my AD did it), so please call them, they could not be nicer, and ask them to send you a shipping kit (it's free), and get it polished. PM me if you have any questions.

David
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 10:50 AM   #12
smallcandle
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, Omega PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Yeah, I'm with Brady on this one. The idea that "close is good enough" should not apply to a brand such as Rolex. And I'm actually quite surprised that a Mod would assert as much.
smallcandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 01:41 PM   #13
Strut99GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallcandle View Post
Yeah, I'm with Brady on this one. The idea that "close is good enough" should not apply to a brand such as Rolex.
Agreed 100%. The bezels line up on my Omega, and my $200 Seiko dive watches as well. The bezel not lining up on a $6K watch is absolutely, positively, unacceptable!
Strut99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 02:26 PM   #14
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut99GT View Post
Agreed 100%. The bezels line up on my Omega, and my $200 Seiko dive watches as well. The bezel not lining up on a $6K watch is absolutely, positively, unacceptable!
Exactly, it should be as perfect as man and machine can make it. When Dallas RSC exchanged my bezel and insert, it lined up perfectly. I would accept anything less. PADI, I think you are off on your idea as to what a customer should expect from a high-end watch. I would not accept a miss-aligned bezel. Fortunately, Dallas did a perfect job. Not only with the bezel replacement and polish, but adjusting my Subbie to 1/2 a second slow per 24 hours. Remarkable! They have my future business; I will not use another RSC other than them. Period. Brown and Co. in Atlanta =
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote