The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 December 2009, 09:48 AM   #1
rolex16
Banned

Why do you collect?

As a person who has accumulated several watches and can't seem to rotate through them all well, but continues to lust after others, and cannot bear to part with ones he has, I pose the question - why do you collect? If not to wear the watches themselves fairly regularly, why?

I have noticed many folks with 4, 5, and even 8 or 10 rolexes (a few even more) and I wonder what drives you and how you rationalize all the costs (including the high cost of services, which those with several watches start to experience over time).

I'll give you an example...today I pulled out my YG DD that I haven't worn in about a month because I wanted to see if it still sang to me as I was (rationally) thinking that I might trade it for another piece that really interests me. I took one look and thought - how can I possibly part with this? The love was still there. But I still want that other piece. My rational side says, no way, you have watches that see the light of day once a month at best.

So I ask again, why do you collect?

Merry Christmas everyone!
rolex16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 09:53 AM   #2
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
I have a strong passion for watches in general, and Rolex's in particular. As for wanting more than one Rolex, it's because Rolex offers more than one model.

All that said, I don't let my passion damage my finances. I save and invest a large portion of my salary, and I don't have a lot of extravagant tastes outside of watches and cameras, meaning I largely live beneath my means. When I want something I save up until I have enough money to pay cash.

If you are responsible about it, there's no reason you can't satiate your lust for fine timepieces.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 10:01 AM   #3
johnliley
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex16 View Post
As a person who has accumulated several watches and can't seem to rotate through them all well, but continues to lust after others, and cannot bear to part with ones he has, I pose the question - why do you collect? If not to wear the watches themselves fairly regularly, why?

I have noticed many folks with 4, 5, and even 8 or 10 rolexes (a few even more) and I wonder what drives you and how you rationalize all the costs (including the high cost of services, which those with several watches start to experience over time).

I'll give you an example...today I pulled out my YG DD that I haven't worn in about a month because I wanted to see if it still sang to me as I was (rationally) thinking that I might trade it for another piece that really interests me. I took one look and thought - how can I possibly part with this? The love was still there. But I still want that other piece. My rational side says, no way, you have watches that see the light of day once a month at best.

So I ask again, why do you collect?

Merry Christmas everyone!
We collect when we can because we can. With the current economic climate my collecting days are few and far between. As may be the same with some here. I can tell you I do appreciate my collection much more. I have a bunch of watches of which many are Rolex. I'm glad and happy for what I have... :)

JL
Old 25 December 2009, 10:11 AM   #4
rolex16
Banned

I too save most of my income and pay cash so for me it's more a question of how do we justify that many knowing how many we can realistically wear...
Old 25 December 2009, 10:17 AM   #5
JBat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex16 View Post
I too save most of my income and pay cash so for me it's more a question of how do we justify that many knowing how many we can realistically wear...
I guess it's just the collectors mentality. Collectors of any item you can think of do the same thing. With watches you can at least rotate them and wear them at different times, which is a nice thing to have for the sake of variety.
Old 25 December 2009, 10:23 AM   #6
submariner16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner,daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat View Post
I guess it's just the collectors mentality. Collectors of any item you can think of do the same thing. With watches you can at least rotate them and wear them at different times, which is a nice thing to have for the sake of variety.
x2
submariner16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 10:24 AM   #7
submariner16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner,daytona
it's because of trf.. when you're here on trf,you won't be contented with 1 watch..you would like to have everything...
submariner16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 10:58 AM   #8
petesjag
"TRF" Member

I rotate through all of my watches regularly.. I change them just like nice clothes or aftershave and perfume. Life would be very boring if every day was the same old.

I collect because I love having a wide variety to choose from..Also because I love nice timepieces.. I have chosen to collect within three brands.. Rolex, Breitling and Omega. There are many more brands that I would love to have but I dont want to diversify to much... IWC would be the next.. Maybe???
petesjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 11:01 AM   #9
chopperboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Baby!!
Gosh with the way the economy is, you can buy a used Rolex watches for a fraction of what they initially cost new!

I have no problem having a few Rolex watches sitting in my safe, that I purchased for up to 50% of retail!
Old 25 December 2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Leasky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118238 YG DD.
My first Rolex was a DJ which my father gave me for my 21st birthday.

At that time (well over 20 years ago) I was unable to afford to buy another one, despite my desire to own a selection of Rolex watches.

Despite the feeling of pride I had when I wore my original watch; I was very aware that other models may suit certain occasions better.

My occupation changed and I found myself with much more free time (6 months off per year) and many more persuits to follow.

It has only been in the past 10 years that I have been able to spend money on increasing the size of my (still very humble) collection and now feel it is almost complete and I have a watch for most occasions / gatherings / social events and to rotate through 7 in a week.

I am still looking for a 118238, then I will be happy - for a short while.......
Leasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 11:09 AM   #11
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

For me, at 6 Rolexes now, it's just a hobby and a passion. I've admired them since I was a child and always wanted one. Once I had one, I kept buying others.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 11:43 AM   #12
EDDVM

Watch: more than one :)
Simple...First is LUST Second is Investment.. at one time I had over 25. Its simple. I would say the Rolex watch even though far from the most expensive watch out there. Is the universal symbol of wealth, success and power. I collect for investment. I have never lost money on a watch I have sold. And because I love the felling of quality and the respect that comes from a Rolex on your wrist. It gives you something in common with kings and presidents, celebrities and so on. Naturally you want to expand your collection. Yes there are people that just reach overkill a friend has over 200 high end watches worth about 1,000,000 USD. My Collection Rotation is SS/TT watches on work days. Diamond GMT for the club’s, and President’s for birthdays, weddings, meetings, and funeral’s. I tend to lean to unique watches like. I do not own a DJ because every one else owns one. My favorite watch is my 1505 worth about $1,000 USD on a good day. But I like it more because it is old. And was my first watch I Bought when I was 16. I am at 9 Rolex watch’s I plan to add a Rolex mill gauss GV and maybe a pro-hunter or PVD coated. I am in my current collection about 50,000USD. It would be easy for me you dump my collection and get a return on my investment at well over 10% which is better than a CD… This is a good time to buy. I have seen several local's selling for 1500-2500 very nice Genuine Date and DJ and one sub for 3k.
EDDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 11:53 AM   #13
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

I'm a 1-2 watch man, I collect but not extraneously, and only the pieces that I REALLY love.
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 12:25 PM   #14
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
Collecting comes in many different forms, for me it's a horological standpoint and conversational reason for my collecting!

Every since i was a kid my father only owned 2 timpieces in his life, a presidential and a platty ym! i thought at the tender age of 11 that it was the most beautiful pieces of engineering i laid my eyes on.

But my first premium piece was a AP given to me by my father up until then i just collected movados , elgin and a whole host of others too many to mention.

I am so happy that i started this WIS habit over 20 years ago because i will have something to pass along to my son's and my daughter.

Forgive me if i'm running on the brandy has taken full effect , Merry Xmas.
deserted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 12:40 PM   #15
Speed
"TRF" Member

I appreciate good product design. Watches, cars, cameras, guitars, computers (Macs), furniture, pens...so Rolex is a natural fit.

I got into fine watches this year when a friend turned me on to Omega Seamasters...The nicest watch I ever purchased was a Hamilton Ventury (Quartz) don't shoot. Many years ago, my Dad gave me a 14Kt Rolex Oyster Perpetual circa 1955/60 that a friend had given him, but I did not get the bug until the Seamaster.

Cannot believe I have denied myself such cool devices for so long!

Now I appreciate this little engine on my wrist as a beautifully designed work of art!

A great little short online documentary film I pass around on these boards can be found here...it really helps explains why watches are so damn addictive and talks about the (mostly) men who collect watches.

Lots of scenes about the allure of Rolexes - Daytonas, Subs etc.

http://www.theluxurychannel.tv/timeMachines.aspx
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 01:19 PM   #16
JBat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner16610 View Post
it's because of trf.. when you're here on trf,you won't be contented with 1 watch..you would like to have everything...
x2
Old 25 December 2009, 01:22 PM   #17
Speed
"TRF" Member

X3!!!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 01:22 PM   #18
JBat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserted View Post
Collecting comes in many different forms, for me it's a horological standpoint and conversational reason for my collecting!

Every since i was a kid my father only owned 2 timpieces in his life, a presidential and a platty ym! i thought at the tender age of 11 that it was the most beautiful pieces of engineering i laid my eyes on.

But my first premium piece was a AP given to me by my father up until then i just collected movados , elgin and a whole host of others too many to mention.

I am so happy that i started this WIS habit over 20 years ago because i will have something to pass along to my son's and my daughter.

Forgive me if i'm running on the brandy has taken full effect , Merry Xmas.
I'm right there with ya, brother!
Old 25 December 2009, 01:25 PM   #19
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Appreciate fine art!
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 01:28 PM   #20
Mrdi
Banned

Sameth reason I drimk
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 01:35 PM   #21
flyinbrian
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I love the technical aspect, beauty and feeling of wearing these fine pieces of human engineering. I only have three watches as of now but I like variety and the differences between them. I also display my watches in my orbita winder and enjoy that aspect as I would a piece of art on my wall. Call me crazy
flyinbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 01:39 PM   #22
JBat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdi View Post
Sameth reason I drimk
Old 25 December 2009, 01:52 PM   #23
rolex16
Banned

That video was pretty interesting, thanks.

It's funny because I have said "this is my last one" about 3 times now and a couple of weeks or months later, I am looking at another watch. This includes models that I never liked and begin to grow on me after a while. I guess I am just trying to keep some semblance of sanity or at least figure out if there is a rational reason why I should acquire more...

By the way the collection is at 5, soon to be 4
Old 25 December 2009, 01:56 PM   #24
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat View Post
Indeed! I'll drink to that!
deserted is offline   Reply With Quote