The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 January 2010, 02:28 AM   #1
Skyblazer
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG GMT II grn dial
Dayton Zenith Movement: collectable?

Edit: My mistake. I confused two ads by the same seller. One was BUY IT NOW or Make Offer and the other was a open bid.
This watch is NOT buy it now, $3500 is the current bid.

Grateful for any opinions about this watch.
Any reason to purchase or not to purchase?
Is it collectable?
Is $3500 about right for price?
Below is the seller's write-up.
Many thanks,
Gary

Rolex Daytona Steel and 18K Gold Chronograph Zenith Watch

Brand: Rolex
Model Number: 16523
Model: Daytona
Material: Stainless Steel and 18K Gold
Function: Chronograph
Dial: White
Movement: Automatic
Case Size: 40 MM
Condition: Excellent, Please see pictures
Notes: X Serial Number indicates the watch was made in 1991. Does not include box or papers. Will fit an 8.5 Inch wrist. This model has the Zenith Movement. The Zenith Movement was discontinued in 2000. Many believe the Zenith movement to be far superior to the Rolex Movement. It is far more collectable.

Last edited by Skyblazer; 30 January 2010 at 02:53 AM.. Reason: Corrrection
Skyblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 02:35 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
History has not yet proven that the Zenith is going to be more "collectable" than other movements... The earlier Valjoux 72 movements are where the money is right now..

However, if you can get one for 3500, it is a steal and I would approach with caution..........
Old 30 January 2010, 02:38 AM   #3
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
History has not yet proven that the Zenith is going to be more "collectable" than other movements... The earlier Valjoux 72 movements are where the money is right now..

However, if you can get one for 3500, it is a steal and I would approach with caution..........
Agreed, that sounds to be very close to that: "Too Good to be true" category.

Having said that, they are excellent movements/watches, so if you end up getting it, and everything's kosher, congrats!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 02:39 AM   #4
smallcandle
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, Omega PO
Yeah, I would approach a $3,500 Daytona with a great deal of caution!
smallcandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 02:41 AM   #5
robsteve
"TRF" Member

That is on an auction. The price that really counts is the price at which the auction ends.

The last one that same seller had went for $7,100.

Robert
robsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 02:43 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well certainly the all S.steel version of the Zenith powered Daytona will IMHO be more collectable than the in-house S.steel Daytona.But just like the TT with the in-house movement the Zenith TT is not so collectable as the all S.Steel. Its just purely a fashion thing the S,Steels have always been hard to buy at retail so thats the ones that demand the most prices which IMHO is crazy as IMO the TT are far nicer looking watches.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 02:49 AM   #7
robsteve
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Its just purely a fashion thing the S,Steels have always been hard to buy at retail so thats the ones that demand the most prices which IMHO is crazy as IMO the TT are far nicer looking watches.
Did you see my thread about the SS Daytona I saw in the watch case at the local Costco :) It was priced like a collectible though!

Robert
robsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 03:18 AM   #8
newmedia
"TRF" Member

this watch will be sold around $6500 in this condition , its nice bargain when this ZENITH movement will not be made by Rolex or Zenith anymore @ 2800bph.

The lowest price I seen TT zenith daytona in last couple month went for around $6100 , these Zenith DAYTONA are selling at bargain prices given the movement has gone through Rolex inhouse movement treatment to be more reliable.

Will it be collectible? , not in next 12 years, will it hold value? DAYTONA models do well as they age.
newmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 03:33 AM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmedia View Post
this watch will be sold around $6500 in this condition , its nice bargain when this ZENITH movement will not be made by Rolex or Zenith anymore @ 2800bph.

The lowest price I seen TT zenith daytona in last couple month went for around $6100 , these Zenith DAYTONA are selling at bargain prices given the movement has gone through Rolex inhouse movement treatment to be more reliable.

Will it be collectible? , not in next 12 years, will it hold value? DAYTONA models do well as they age.
Well first the complete ebauche movement was and is still made by Zenith and not by Rolex, the El-primo has got to be in the top 5 chronograph movements of the century.And quite a few say the El-Primo movement was down-graded by Rolex from its normal 36000 BPH to 28800 BPH just to fit in with the Rolex 5 year service.And even at the Zenith normal 36000 BPH its a well proven chronograph movement for quite a few decades now.So just because Rolex put there own escapment parts in would not make it any more reliable than it was in standard Zenith El-Primo form.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote