The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 January 2010, 04:52 AM   #1
sandy007robb
"TRF" Member

Icon20 About to sell Sub- advice needed

I'm about to advertise my 2003 sub 16610 date for sale but I am quite inexperienced and nervous about selling the watch due to the stories you hear about scam artists etc. What is the best way to sell, get the money and be sure you don't get conned / ripped off?

Is Paypal safe to use? Is a money transfer direct to your bank account the best way to go? Should I get whoever is buying it to meet me and get it verified at a Rolex dealer before handing it over?

There are shops who buy 2nd hand Rolex watches where I stay but I imagine that they won't offer me anywhere near what I would get in a provate sale.

I've a lot of questions but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
sandy007robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 05:09 AM   #2
wgs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 000
Just from my minimal experience, I have used PayPal and been happy with it. The good thing about PayPal is - Scam artists may email you with a fake invoice/receipt saying they paid you but you can check your account to truly know if you have been paid or not.

You will definitely get more for your watch selling privately vs. going to a secondhand shop, but it will take more time and effort.

This is an excellent site for selling a preowned Rolex, along with timezone.com. Some of the more experienced folks here will be able to provide you with better advice than me.

Good luck to you.
wgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 05:16 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I hear that Subs are in short supply in Scotland............. I wouldn't expect that you would have much difficulty in finding a buyer at a dconsignment shop or any other sales ad medium...
Old 30 January 2010, 05:28 AM   #4
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy007robb View Post
I'm about to advertise my 2003 sub 16610 date for sale but I am quite inexperienced and nervous about selling the watch due to the stories you hear about scam artists etc. What is the best way to sell, get the money and be sure you don't get conned / ripped off?

Is Paypal safe to use? Is a money transfer direct to your bank account the best way to go? Should I get whoever is buying it to meet me and get it verified at a Rolex dealer before handing it over?

There are shops who buy 2nd hand Rolex watches where I stay but I imagine that they won't offer me anywhere near what I would get in a provate sale.

I've a lot of questions but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Wire transfer or cash only. For most people, Paypal is safe, but there are a million and one ways to get scammed as a buyer and seller. As for meeting to have it verified, do whatever you want, it's your watch - you're the seller.
Old 30 January 2010, 05:32 AM   #5
sandy007robb
"TRF" Member

I was only worried about getting it verified as you hear of people swapping the movement and then sending it back saying it's a fake
sandy007robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 05:33 AM   #6
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Do it for cash, with money check.

♕126610 ♕126333
Breitling Avenger A17318
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 06:14 AM   #7
slevin kelevra
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
I got my Sub from an AD in Glasgow over the xmas period and they had to get it from another one of their stores. Also Watches of Switzerland didnt have any and said it would be four weeks before they could get one for me.

Walked past the AD last weekend and no subs to be seen. Plenty of every other model though.
slevin kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 09:16 AM   #8
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
im in scotland too.. i recently sold a sub to a guy in newcastle. he paid by bank transfer, i spoke to my bank to ensure the transfer was legitimate and could not be reveresd, i sent him the watch.
i advise you NOT to use paypal for anything of any value. not only are the fees for a £3000+ watch nearly £150, but the buyer could open and argue a dispute- putting the payment jeopardy.

cash or bank transfer to remain safe. a true, genuine buyer will have no problem with this.

tom coll, argyle arcade, glasgow- buys and sells pre-owned rolex, is your last resort. they offered me 2600 for my 2007 Z 16610.
i ended up selling for £2750 to a private man.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 09:47 AM   #9
tandrup
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Sandy,

I have a friend in Denmark who is looking for a Sub within the EU. I can vouch for him 100% - PM me if you are interested in his contact info.
Georg Jensen 2347
tandrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 10:42 AM   #10
Skyblazer
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG GMT II grn dial
Wire Transfer is best

Wire transfer is usually considered best and safest.

But, after giving all your banking info to the money sender; he can attempt to get the money back out. Theoretically, it's not suppose to happen, but it can.

A small car dealership had to change all their accounts after that happened to them.

I maintain an empty account for receiving funds. The arrangement with the bank is; the money automatically transfers to another of my accounts at the same bank.
Skyblazer is offline   Reply With Quote