The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 March 2007, 01:17 AM   #1
Snakeyes
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Differences between getting serviced by an RSV and an AD

What's up guys?

I'm just purchased a used 99' air-king w/ blue arabic dial. It's going to be my first Rolex and I'm stoked!! The guy that I purchased it from is the original owner and he's told me that he's never gotten the watch serviced and that the caseback has never been opened.

Anyway the first thing I'm going to do is take it in for servicing and an appraisal. I was wodering if I should take it to an RSV or an AD to get the servicing done?

Also is there really big differences between the two and if so what they're?
What gets done to your Rolex when it gets serviced? e.g.- oiling, cleaning of dial etc.

Any opinions or past experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Snakeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2007, 01:59 AM   #2
OysterDavid
Banned

First things first...

Congrats on the Air King purchase. It's a low key, stealth Rolex style that has all the attributes you'd want in a Rolex without the 'bling' factor.

Secondly, both Rolex and us call their service facilities Rolex Service Centers, or RSC for short.

But now onto the juicy parts...a '99 Rolex that has never been serviced isn't on its last legs. If its been operating on spec, then there's no need to rush right out tomorrow and present the watch at any kind of watchmaker's bench. But that said, it's getting close to the time where you'd want to consider having a routine service if there are no other issues.

The decision to go direct to one of the 3 RSC's or to an independent is entirely up to you and your comfort level. There are lots and lots of well trained and Rolex qualified people who just chose to work for themselves rather than Rolex. An independent will be less expensive than an RSC...the RSC charges $420 (or at least it was a few months ago) just for the basics that include cleaning, regulating and refinishing. An independent will probably be about $100 less.

Just make sure you find someone who comes with a good reputation and has the equipment to do a good refinish job...that's generally considered the area where the RSC's excel.

Good luck.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2007, 04:50 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well most ADs if they have not got a in-house watchmaker they send to one of the main RSC.But to service a Rolex is not rocket science,and just as easy to service as any other watch.And as long as independent watchmaker has a Rolex parts account will do the same job.But I have yet to see any independent polish a case/bracelet like main RSC.Servicing the movement thats the easy part,for any competent watchmaker.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2007, 04:58 AM   #4
mike
"TRF" Member

I pretty much agree with what's been said. I've had watches serviced both ways. My watch guy is certified with a parts account and does as good or better than an RSC.
With RSC you get a 0ne year international warranty, if that's important.
My watchmaker also gives a one year warranty. I've never had to use either.
As far as regulating my watch for ME, my guy is a magician!
I am one of those guys that think RSC case polishing is the best.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2007, 07:11 AM   #5
Chris B
"TRF" Member

My local AD will remove the bracelet and just send the head to RSC, polishing the bracelet themselves at the store waiting for RSC to send the serviced watch back to them to be reunited with it's strap. The charge for this is circa £400.

RSC at Bexley serviced my Sub, while polishing out some really heavy clasp scratches and restoring to as new condition for only £220. plus I only paid the shipping one way (£6)

Given that a Sub requires a service maybe every 5 years thats £44 a year, thats what i call a bargain,
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2007, 08:59 AM   #6
Snakeyes
"TRF" Member

I think I've made up my mind to go with an RSC, at least for the initial checkup.

Thanks for helping me with my decision guys!

Pete
Old 11 March 2007, 09:08 AM   #7
Snakeyes
"TRF" Member

By chance any of you guys know what Air-king parts est. cost?

For instance to replace bracelet, crystal, or even a air-king dial?

Thanks
Old 11 March 2007, 09:45 AM   #8
OysterDavid
Banned

Bracelet will be a 'trade in' only...meaning if you need a new one, it will be Oyster only and they'll keep the old one. It will likely set you back $350 or so. A dial change is done the same way...old one stays and new one is installed, so there will be no dial collecting in the US. A dial is likely to set you back around $280 or so. Sapphire crystal only needs to be replaced if your current one is dinged or scratched, and it will be something in the vincinity of $100. All this in addition to the cost of routine servicing.

The possibility of a dial change I understand...I've done it myself. But, does the bracelet really need replacement? Was it delivered to you in a damaged state? And does the crystal really need to be replaced? At some point, you have to think you'd have been better off ordering new and getting the dial configuration you really wanted if you're trying to get all new components on an 8 year old watch.

Believe us when we say Rolex USA will give you back a watch that really looks new for what they charge for a normal service.
Old 11 March 2007, 11:43 AM   #9
Snakeyes
"TRF" Member

In response to you OysterDavid,

I was just inquiring about the prices because I've only seen photos of the watch that I purchased and it seems like the bracelet has some scratches on it. So then I started to think worse case scenarios about what if I have to replace the bracelet, dial, or crystal.

Check out the pics and let me know what looks like it may need some work:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7537&rd=1&rd=1

Pete
Old 11 March 2007, 11:58 AM   #10
OysterDavid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeyes View Post
In response to you OysterDavid,

I was just inquiring about the prices because I've only seen photos of the watch that I purchased and it seems like the bracelet has some scratches on it. So then I started to think worse case scenarios about what if I have to replace the bracelet, dial, or crystal.

Check out the pics and let me know what looks like it may need some work:
Pete, worry not. Those scratches and swrills will vanish after a trip to the refinish machines at an RSC. Based on the picture, it doesn't look anywhere near abused...just normal wear for an 8 year old timepiece. I can't tell if there is anything wrong with the crystal, but if you've got the watch, you can. If it's chipped, then it's an issue. The sapphire can scratch, but it takes some major abuse to do so.

As for the dial...the Air King comes in limited choices...check out oysterworld.de (don't forget the w's) and click on dial and bracelets...scroll down to Air King (one of the first models listed) and see what's available. I think the Blue Arab that comes with your watch is a sterling choice, but it's not my watch and you may decide to spend the bucks to swap it out.

I think you'll be happy with the watch and the service outcome.

Enjoy
Old 11 March 2007, 10:48 PM   #11
Snakeyes
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the help OysterDavid!
Old 11 March 2007, 11:18 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Got to agree with above the explorer type dial is great,and the bracelet watch case once a RSC has refurbished,will look as new.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote