The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 March 2007, 11:51 AM   #1
nudie

Help restore Bark Prez

Hello friends,
This watch belonged to my father. Model 18078 bought in 1984 from an AD - I have the original receipt and the papers.
The dial has some damage around the lume and the gold on the side of the case seems to be "tarnished". This worries me as the gold shouldn't tarnish right?
Need some expert advice on this watch and whether or not it can be restored.
Thank you kindly and please do not hold back on your comments even if they are negative.

nudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2007, 12:31 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Frankly, I don't quite like that dial. Would have preferred a white one with gold Romans.

But that watch is still beautiful and can definitely be restored to its former glory.

The "tarnishing" on the side could be due to sweat which can tarnish gold. Just needs a good polish.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2007, 12:34 PM   #3
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
I love it! I would not get anything restored on that watch.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2007, 12:38 PM   #4
Lol-x
Facilitator

Solid 18k Yellow Gold does not to my knowledge tarnish. Going by your photograph it looks like the case is gold plated (but I can't really tell), as the metallic gray colour appears to be associated with areas of wear i.e. the area of the case around the crown. Tarnishing is normally associated with areas of non-use, so your tarnishing does not seem consistent with what one may expect to see in the usual course of things.
The dial is also suspect, I have not seen this before happen to a President from the 1980's. It maybe that the dial is an aftermarket replacement dial and it has suffered from materials being used for the luminous material that were incompatible with the paint on the dial.
You really need to take the watch to a Rolex service centre and get a quote for repair/replacement. Once you have that quote you can decide what to do.
I'm no expert and I can't say for sure what's going on by looking and the photographs you have presented.
Good Luck
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2007, 12:43 PM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Let's give the guy the benefit of doubt. He says his father bought the watch in 1984 from an AD and he has all original papers, etc.

Gold can tarnish over a very long period of time if left unattended. All that watch needs is a professional polish from any RSC and it will look as good as new.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2007, 01:53 PM   #6
ian.thomas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Very nice! I would keep that forever!

Okay here's what I would do:
1. Nothing, or
B. Send it to RSC, get a new dial (gold with romans would be nice) and have them clean it up. Not sure of the cost (won't be cheap), but it will look like new.

ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2007, 02:35 PM   #7
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
You need to know that if RSC gives you advice then know the watch will not be back in a few days. It may costs $1000 and a few months out for service. I purchased my gold DJ had it expressed shipped to me within 24 hours I sent it out for an overhaul and I got it back 2 months later. If the watch runs and keeps decent time. I would keep it as is.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2007, 03:03 PM   #8
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
I've seen that kind of tarnishing on a rolex dial. It happens usually when water has entered the case. The dial will need to be replaced. I would take it to the RSC or to the AD and have them restore the watch. You'll be very pleased that you did. That is a stunning watch and in need of a touch of TLC. Besides, it was your father's watch, it is worth keeping it spot on. Good luck with it.

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote