The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 April 2007, 10:47 AM   #1
jackson

Sea dweller a good deal?

Hi,

After much contemplation. I have finally decided to join the rollie family!

For a start I will be getting myself either a sea dweller(SD) or gmt master. Actually, I'm really inclined towards the SD for its rugged looks.

Now, I will need the exprt advices from the helpful and understanding experts here.

for SD:

1.) The seller offered Singapore dollars (SGD$5920) for the SD dated in 2004, D series. Purchased from an authorised dealer in Japen.Is this a good deal? Should I press further for lower prices?

2.)Authenticity is not an issue here as the watch has already been verified by the rolex centre.

3.)Some of my friends (but sadly, non of them owned any rolex sports models) advised me against this deal and they recommended me to purchase the watch at 2nd hand dealer shops. They said that I have no means of knowing if the watch has been dropped or manhandled if I bough it from a private owner and there is a chance that the internal mechanism are not well taken care of and serviced. On the other hand, a watch dealer will refurbish the set and take good care of the watch. I would like to know if my friends are saying the right thing.

4.)I have went through the forum and realised that the SD is more expensive to service. Can I request for certain options like exlcuding the helium valve to be serviced since I will never have any use for it?

For the GMT master:

1.) I woulkd also like to know if the ruggedness of the gmt master could be compared to that of the submariner or the sea dweller. what is the watch proof rating for the gmt master
Attached Images
File Type: jpg andrelck-img600x450-cimg1766.jpg (32.9 KB, 140 views)
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 10:52 AM   #2
jackson

Another question is on that of them retaining their resale values. I'm pretty concerned with this as I will only be wearing the watch for probably 2 to 3 years before selling them off again to upgrade to a daytona.

Which of the following pre-owned watches retains its value better:

1. SD
2. Submariner
3. GMT master

In terms of servicing, which of them is the least hassle free and trouble free.Is it also true that submariner two tone and gold versions depreciate most with usage ad sale in the pre-owne market? An advance thank you to all experts.
Old 3 April 2007, 11:36 AM   #3
kings4sap
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Bud - given your ebay bid fiasco I would stick with new (or pre-owned if available) from an AD only. A possible second choice would be a reputable - long established grey dealer in your area who will unconditionally guarantee the watches authenticity (pass on fly-by-night second hand stores or pawn shops).

Seriously - how much more advice can we give you in this area? Stick to the advice of the friends you referenced and the new ones you have on this board who don't want to see you get jacked.

As for value, my rank in "keeping its value" would be as follows:

1) SD
2) sub
3) gmt

K4S
kings4sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 12:13 PM   #4
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
My ranking would be as follows for resale:

Sub
SD
GMT

I would be a little leary about the anchor, I am not sure they were available with the D series SD.
Old 3 April 2007, 12:41 PM   #5
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
Speaking as an SD owner, I'd tend to lean towards the Sub-Date as a watch with better resale value due to it's higher demand in the used Rolex market.

If you're only going to hold onto this watch for 2-3 years, the maintenance cost of an SD is negligible as you probably won't have too take this watch in for at least 10 years from the date of purchase (That is unless you do a lot of deep sea diving in the watch).

In terms of ruggedness of the 3 watches you listed, the SD would be tops for the simple fact you can go 4000 feet with it. The Sub only goes 1000 feet and the GMT a puny 300 ft.

The Sub and SD from what I understand have the very same braclet except the SD get's one whole link and the Sub only half a link. The SD has 5 links on one side and 9 on the other. Both have the extension clasp.

The GMT has the same links (don't know how many though) BUT, the clasp is different than the SD and the Sub. The clasp on the GMT II is smaller and has NO extension links hidden in the braclet.

The SD and the Sub have a triplock crown. GMT II does not which is why it has a lower depth rating.

In my opinion, both the SD and Sub are more rugged than the GMT II and of the SD and Sub, the SD is more rugged than the Sub.

But that's just my opinion.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 12:52 PM   #6
miner
"TRF" Member

If you are buying to sell in a couple of years then I guess the sub would be the best bet.

I have a GMT (20yo I've owned it for 10) and it is a tough watch. Relatively speaking the sd and sub are "tougher" but you have to do a hell of a lot to the watch to break it. Before I retired my GMT for a sd, I hardly took the GMT off my wrist and I've worked in some pretty rough environments. So long as the watch stays on your wrist (ie you don't drop it on a stone floor) you'll break before it does.

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 01:03 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Not to undermine the GMT-II, it is a very strong and reliable watch and can go to hell and back without flinching an eyelid!!

While the Sub and SD are very tough watches without a doubt, the GMT-II has gone to places like the Arctic cirlce and down to the hottest hell-holes of the Sahara desert....without any problems whatsoever.

All Rolex watches are tough as nails!!! The question is....can you take what is dished out to your Rolex?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 01:17 PM   #8
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
since u r from singapore.....let's put things in context here.....

1. list price of sd in sgd 7711........i know of ppl who can get 15% off for a sd which makes it about sgd 6550......so for an extra 500 dollars or more you can get a brand new watch from an AD......you do the math

2. buying from a private seller or a used watch dealer make no difference as used watch dealer do not service preowned rolex watches at the rsc......

3. i do not think you can tell the rsc not to service the HEV. it's very different from telling them you want to keep the dial and hands original.

4. gmt 2 wr to 100m.

5. resale value: sub, sd then gmt 2

6. if u r buying a watch to be sold later, i suggest u look for something that is older, maybe a P or K. i reckon an sd of 4-5 yrs old will be low sgd 5k......you can save more money during the purchase and also lose less when it's time to sell it

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 03:57 PM   #9
jackson

hi.thanks everyone for your opinion once again. how abotu for two tone rolex subs? is it true that the sub deprecaite much more than full steels ones. I'm not constrained by budget, so I'm inteding to get a gold sub. however, i think i will have rough use for it since I do cross country biking a lot an dive on some occassions during my free time. The thought of letting a gold sub into sea water is terrible.

How is the deprecation like for gold or two tone subs?thanks.
Old 3 April 2007, 04:16 PM   #10
jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlins View Post
since u r from singapore.....let's put things in context here.....

1. list price of sd in sgd 7711........i know of ppl who can get 15% off for a sd which makes it about sgd 6550......so for an extra 500 dollars or more you can get a brand new watch from an AD......you do the math

2. buying from a private seller or a used watch dealer make no difference as used watch dealer do not service preowned rolex watches at the rsc......

3. i do not think you can tell the rsc not to service the HEV. it's very different from telling them you want to keep the dial and hands original.

4. gmt 2 wr to 100m.

5. resale value: sub, sd then gmt 2

6. if u r buying a watch to be sold later, i suggest u look for something that is older, maybe a P or K. i reckon an sd of 4-5 yrs old will be low sgd 5k......you can save more money during the purchase and also lose less when it's time to sell it

I think I got conned. I was told that the SD cost over $8k without much discount
Old 3 April 2007, 04:32 PM   #11
BondandBigM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson View Post
I think I got conned. I was told that the SD cost over $8k without much discount
Just haggle hard, eventually you will get it at the right price, there are so many places selling them, in the six weeks I have been here I have bought four watches and got a good amount off the ticket price on them all.

Have Fun
Bond
BondandBigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 04:36 PM   #12
jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondandBigM View Post
Just haggle hard, eventually you will get it at the right price, there are so many places selling them, in the six weeks I have been here I have bought four watches and got a good amount off the ticket price on them all.

Have Fun
Bond

hi,

do you mind telling me the prices you have bought them with, and also the model that you have bought.thank you very much!!
Old 3 April 2007, 05:22 PM   #13
BondandBigM
"TRF" Member

Sure, I bought a Omega planet ocean, non chrono, orange bezal and steel strap can't remember the list price but paid S$4K and they are around S$5.5k in the UK, a Tag Carrera, black face, bezal and steel strap at S$3K, in the UK they list at about S$4.8K. These were the two main ones, I also bought a CCCP automatic and a watch for my girlfriend called a Sub Chrono another one I hadn't heard of before but they had a shop full of them, these were bought simply because we liked the look of them and got 15% off without even trying so I was happy.

I just need to find a nice Sub now and I will be a very happy camper.

Cheers
Bond
BondandBigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 11:56 PM   #14
jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondandBigM View Post
Sure, I bought a Omega planet ocean, non chrono, orange bezal and steel strap can't remember the list price but paid S$4K and they are around S$5.5k in the UK, a Tag Carrera, black face, bezal and steel strap at S$3K, in the UK they list at about S$4.8K. These were the two main ones, I also bought a CCCP automatic and a watch for my girlfriend called a Sub Chrono another one I hadn't heard of before but they had a shop full of them, these were bought simply because we liked the look of them and got 15% off without even trying so I was happy.

I just need to find a nice Sub now and I will be a very happy camper.

Cheers
Bond
Thanks bond. have you gotten a sub already? I'm thinking of getting an SD. I'm stilling contemplating whether I should get a regular black sub for one of my managers as well.
Old 4 April 2007, 01:08 AM   #15
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
The GMT goes 300 feet? I thought it went to 100 feet!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2007, 04:19 AM   #16
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
My advice would be to go for the Sub Date. Any Rolex can go for more than 10 years of dry land activies and service. If you do some serious diving, I agree to get it checked.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2007, 04:22 AM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
The GMT goes 300 feet? I thought it went to 100 feet!
That would be 100 m or 330 ft. to be precise!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote