The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 April 2007, 03:21 AM   #1
jackson

Purchasing rolex parts

This is a question from my neighbour. I'm helping him out as he cannot speak english.

He wants to know if he could walk into any rolex dealer and just purchase parts from them. specifically, the balck submariner dial. Also, what is the cost for them.

thanks.
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 03:27 AM   #2
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
No. Rolex is very strict on that.
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 03:32 AM   #3
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Sadly to say, He might have to go to "the bay"
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 03:32 AM   #4
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson View Post
This is a question from my neighbour. I'm helping him out as he cannot speak english.

He wants to know if he could walk into any rolex dealer and just purchase parts from them. specifically, the balck submariner dial. Also, what is the cost for them.

thanks.
No. Rolex tightly controlls parts. Normally geniune Rolex parts are sold on an exchange basis during service in the U.S. In other parts of the world it seems some have been able to get their old parts back during service.
I have been able to receive some parts back through my watchmaker that has a parts account, but not a dial and hands.
Cost depends on the reference. For example a submariner is about $240 USD from Rolex at service.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 03:37 AM   #5
jackson

I see thanks. We wants also wants to know if the dial could fit onto his swiss made replica. He just sold off a few subs (and is still currently selling them on ebay and via other means in my country) as his business took a bad hit. I'm not trying to invite flame threads.thanks.
Old 3 April 2007, 03:37 AM   #6
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Rolex parts are strictly controlled, they even make an AD, send in the defective part, then after they receive it and confrm, they send the new part out.
Old 3 April 2007, 03:43 AM   #7
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
I see thanks. We wants also wants to know if the dial could fit onto his swiss made replica. He just sold off a few subs (and is still currently selling them on ebay and via other means in my country) as his business took a bad hit. I'm not trying to invite flame threads.thanks.
I would in no way want to flame on anyone, But I hope he wouldnt be installing a genuine dial and trying to sell it as an authentic.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 03:56 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
I would in no way want to flame on anyone, But I hope he wouldnt be installing a genuine dial and trying to sell it as an authentic.
My thoughts exactly. That would be blasphemous!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 08:54 AM   #9
sevykor
"TRF" Member

I think the reason Rolex keeps a tight hold on parts is for the very reason mentioned above - to prevent fakes that look genuine. I hate when I need a part I can't obtain, but love that they refuse to give that same part to anyone else too. Better for all of us in the end.
sevykor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 10:21 AM   #10
jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post

Thanks. He is an honest soul. doing that, from my my knowledge of him for the past 8 years, the watch will be for his own use.thanks.
Old 3 April 2007, 10:37 AM   #11
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Whats the point of installing a genuine dial on a fake watch?
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 11:09 AM   #12
daunwaun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18K YG Day Date
trying to figure you out jackson...every thread i read from your posting has someway to do with fakes, or watches that "could be" fakes...hope your not a replica dealer trying to get information...

anyone else back me up on this
daunwaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 11:59 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by daunwaun View Post
trying to figure you out jackson...every thread i read from your posting has someway to do with fakes, or watches that "could be" fakes...hope your not a replica dealer trying to get information...

Well, Jackson's got around 11 posts and you've got just 13.....so not too sure whose side to take.

In all fairness to Jackson, at least he's not going around throwing down the gauntlet at every other member on TRF.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 3 April 2007, 01:24 PM   #14
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
at this moment jj has 27501 posts.......and on whose side is he on......:P

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 08:45 PM   #15
----

Quote:

I will admit that after seeing the thread on his "near eBay" purchase, and then seeing this one on parts shortly after, I did wonder if there was something else going on.
Old 3 April 2007, 11:43 PM   #16
jackson

Quote:

Give me a call at on my mobile 8282 2190. Have a coffee with me in my company. I'm based singapore and I live in orchard road, beside tomlinson road. If you have been to singapore, you would know what the cost of a rolex means to me.

If you like, I may offer you some real deals on "swiss replicas" oops, did I mention no flaming?

Peace and God bless
Old 3 April 2007, 11:50 PM   #17
jackson

Think about this, if I am a replica dealer collecting information I would change another name and start posting. Would I be as stupid to use my same username and post these questions.

Moderator: pls lcok this thread before it gets out of hand.

thanks
Old 4 April 2007, 06:37 AM   #18
pcarson

Watch: 16610 Sub Date
Oh no, let's not lock this thread! Daunwaun's point is ot a bad one, it's just that this might not be the place for it. Jackson does present some contradictions; one minute he's buying a watch for his Dad's birthday (three weeks ago) but wants to get a second-hand one and is interested in authentication. Next thing, money is no object. Next thing he's apparently stung on eBay trying strike another bargain on an unfeasibly cheap and obviously fake watch, again for his Dad, and knowing that we're all here to help. Then he is not "constrained by budget" and can buy any watch he likes, and is telling us he lives in the nice part of Singapore. His next-door neighbour, who is also presumably well-to-do is into fakes!

I'll give this to Daunwaun; he does nothing more than give voice to some valid observations about inconsistency and thoughts I'm sure many of us have had. Sometimes these are best kept to one's self. Can I make a suggestion? Jackson sounds young and he's probably naiive, and this is a watch forum. If he is a replica dealer, he's a bad one, getting himself done on a fake you could spot on a dark night.

From what I've seen we're certainly not here to help people build Frankenwatches, or deal replicas or anything of the sort. As far as Jakcon himself is concerned, it's very difficult to judge motivation from actions. If anyone thinks Jackson's not on the level, just don't respond to his posts. Otherwise, let's give him the benefit of the doubt, since we all probably have interesting inconsistencies!

This is a rich environment and I think we need to be careful not to homogenise it too much by deciding who are the "in" people and who are the "out". Jackson will declare in time, as will we all.
pcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2007, 10:31 AM   #19
daunwaun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18K YG Day Date
look, if you want to talk about money and where you live and your surname and all that b.s. by all means be my guest. Im not looking to pick a fight, or say your something your not, but the bottom line is you contradict everything you say. please dont talk about money, i think we all may have a few dollars as this is an expensive hobby.

I do not know the "replica" or fake market and dont really want to. Nor do I LOOK ON EBAY TO BUY A WATCH FOR THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!!!

but hey...who am i to say anything? I'll let the "experts" here pick you apart!!

D
daunwaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2007, 10:44 AM   #20
Blown Wide Open
"TRF" Member

Watch: All with a crown.
This is turning into an interestering thread. I hope JJ is on my side, that I can tell you.

PAtrick

Instagram: El_Diablo_Rosso
Blown Wide Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2007, 10:49 AM   #21
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Wide Open View Post
This is turning into an interestering thread. I hope JJ is on my side, that I can tell you.

PAtrick
Well, dw has made a few valid points. I don't see why we should be even discussing availability of Rolex parts - just a pipe dream.

I've seen the stash of neatly laid out Rolex parts in huge Plan Cabinets at my AD-cum-RSC here in Auckland. It's truly an amazing inventory - each and every part, even the tiniest of ones - having their own individual blister pack with the Rolex logo on it.

Every part is properly arranged as per the watchmaker's instant requirement and all the flat plan chests are duly marked.

There's no way on earth would any of those parts ever leave the AD for cash to some outsider. Those parts are strictly for the use of the Rolex watchmaker and his service or repair work to the numerous Rolex watches that come in for either servicing or repair.

JJ

Old 4 April 2007, 11:10 AM   #22
pcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Wide Open View Post

PAtrick
It's a fabulous thread, hats off to Jackson for kicking us off! A little diversion away from things horological and into things psychological is always good so long as it's kept friendly. As I say, DW has been brave enough to say something a few have been thinking, and Jackson has countered with another response that's out-of-register with his previous posts. Please don't lock this down, it's just getting really interesting.
Old 4 April 2007, 11:33 AM   #23
pcarson

PS ...and JJ, you are a skilled diplomat and a true gentleman, and I mean that sincerely.
Old 4 April 2007, 12:24 PM   #24
jackson

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm here to ask questions. Not to pick fight, or to invite flames. This has been a good place which I learn about rolex their parts and its dealership, which I have no knowloedge of prior to these. I admit that I'm a newbie to this hobby, bu these are my genuine concerns. My threads do speak of contradictions and I seem to take after a lousy replica watch dealer trying to fish out info, I have to apologise for that.

As different threads, I'm quite surprised why would members go to the details to looking through different threads that I have posted and to draw some parallelism to to fake watch dealer. If my actions speak of that. I have to apologise again.

At the same time, I'm not familar with the online ebay environment, and no one would reject a cheap deal - like what I have mentioned before on my experience with my clients and rolex watches.

Prior to this forum, I collect montblanc pens. I also collect bmw dealer version minatures and the real car. the thing about me is that I get tired of thing very qucik and is pretty fickle minded. I encountered the same problems when I have some members in my local BMW forum trying to pick faults in my questions. I can remember that at that time, I wanted a 330ci convertible, but I'm worried as I travel a lot to Malaysia and a convertible is too attention seeking. Later, again, I wanted to know how could I change the whole transmission to a manual version (Singapore dealers do not bring in manual bmw e46, they only do so on a special indent basis). Not knowingly, I invited flames from some younger members that laughed at me for trying to "replicate" an m3.

I do not know of rolex watches, but montblanc pens sold on ebay are really authentic (most) and they are a real deal, except that the warranty is not stamped by a montblanc AD, so these might be parallel import or gray market sets. In my country, there are't many varieties. Even if there were, montblanc cost a bomb. For example, the 100th anniversary starwalker diamond ballpoint cost SGD$730 at the boutique with no discount. On ebay, I chanced upon this deal where each similar pen cost only USD$200 shipped to my residence. I bought a total of 10 pcs from the seller and they were all authentic.(all verified at montblanc boutique) Some of them I gave to my friends, others, I resold at slightly higher prices to others.

I do not know about other people, when we are engaged in a hobby, the spirit and excitement of buying and then selling (when tired of it) makes it even more interesting. Why, because, we get to meet fellow collectors like us. I do make some money of of this, but this is not my livelihood and the other collector/user gets a real deal. For me in my humble opinion, if I begin a hobby in rolex watches, the same happens. Incidentally, after looking at the ebay for the past few days (before my green LV fiasco), I realised that Singaporean prices for rolexes are much cheaper than in US and other countries.

Just to clarify, as of current situation, I'm looking for for a total of 3 watches.

1. regular sub or a green LV (but I guess not, after the ebay fiasco) for my dad.

2. Either a regular black sub or a gmt master for my manger whom has been with me for sometime.

3. A SD/SUB/gmt master for myself. After all of the excellent feedbacks and suggestions from fellow forumers, I think I will go for a sub. I wanted to get a daytona straight. The reason for me not doing so is that I find it really hard to read the date on the chronograph and I have no use for the rest of them. I like the simple and utilitarain looks of the sub w\date, but it does not have the 24 hrs hand like the gmt master (I travel a lot). For now, I will most likely get a sub, and after being tired of it, will sell it for a daytona.

Peace
Old 4 April 2007, 09:13 PM   #25
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
3. A SD/SUB/gmt master for myself. After all of the excellent feedbacks and suggestions from fellow forumers, I think I will go for a sub. I wanted to get a daytona straight. The reason for me not doing so is that I find it really hard to read the date on the chronograph and I have no use for the rest of them. I like the simple and utilitarain looks of the sub w\date, but it does not have the 24 hrs hand like the gmt master (I travel a lot). For now, I will most likely get a sub, and after being tired of it, will sell it for a daytona.

Peace
Well the Daytona date is very hard to read,because of the main factor, it don't have a date complication in the first place, well genuine Rolex ones don't.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2007, 12:03 AM   #26
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
hehe......cant find that small date on the dial....really

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote