The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 April 2007, 06:43 AM   #1
Watchlover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subdate,Batman,PAM
In the market for a Submariner Date

Hi,

I'm in the market looking to buy my first Rolex (The 16610 Sub Date). Very exciting but also daunting. I went to several AD and the asking price is $5175 with no deals whatsoever. I'm looking for a good deal so I'm considering going on Ebay or other websites, but I'm scare on getting burned with a fake. Has anyone have any success experiences buying on the web? Also, I've been looking at reownedrolex.com looks like a real good site. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Watchlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2007, 06:43 AM   #2
Watchlover
"TRF" Member

In the market for a Submariner Date

Hi,

I'm in the market looking to buy my first Rolex (The 16610 Sub Date). Very exciting but also daunting. I went to several AD and the asking price is $5175 with no deals whatsoever. I'm looking for a good deal so I'm considering going on Ebay or other websites, but I'm scare on getting burned with a fake. Has anyone have any success experiences buying on the web? Also, I've been looking at reownedrolex.com looks like a real good site. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 4 April 2007, 07:00 AM   #3
pcarson

Watch: 16610 Sub Date
I can only tell you about Australia, and a company that ships to the US. I have no personal or business affiliation with them but their reputation is excellent over here. Whatever other trade-offs you make (such as warranty etc.) you won't buy a fake.

The company is called TheWatchClub and that is their URL. The guy who rus that site is the same guy who sells Rolex and other watches on eBay. His name is Dennis Giovanakis and he has some other businesses over here. His eBay username (I'm sorry to say) is the-footy-show and I don't think that's at all reassuring unless or until you know the history. I won't bore you with it. I imagine that Dennis chooses to keep that name now that he has Platinum Seller status, and presumably that isn't transferable.

I have researched both his operations carefully including company searches and feedback. As I say, buying watches of any sort on eBay has a downside for shipping, insurance and warranty. These are all important things but you can research them separately. There is also the question of replicas, but at least by dealing with this mob, you can remove one variable.

There is also a chap called Nick Hacko. Google his name and you'll hit him. He is reputable and has a decent Website. I would trust him, although he is more expensive. He is not an AD.

When I buy my second Rolex, if I don't get it new from an AD, then this is how I'd go in Australia. That's not to say that there aren't hundreds of other people trying, but this guy has the runs on the board.
pcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2007, 07:10 AM   #4
bmackinlay
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18K Pres.DD 118238
Just purchased from Gary Loyack at 110 Lake Ave Greenfield Township Carbondale, Pa.18407 Phone # 570-222-3244 call him he will save you $ he is a broker and also sells on EBay Feedback on ebay 99.9% positive member since 7/31/99 in USA. Hayman4353
bmackinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2007, 07:53 AM   #5
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
In my honest opinion, I would do everything possible to avoid Ebay when buying your new Sub. You can just NEVER be sure....the pictures may be from a different watch, it could be an authentic case but with a dubious movement, it could be stolen, etc...
Congratulations on making that decision to go with the Crown, by the way...that's great. My first and preferred choice would be an authorized dealer. Don't be discouraged that your AD's wouldn't give you a discount. Some are quite stubborn about it and if they sense hesitation within you to press the issue, they'll let you go on thinking that a discount is out of your reach. One possibility is to find an out-of-state AD that will ship the watch to you tax-free. In that situation, even if you pay retail you save hundreds of dollars on sales tax, and you get the piece of mind of knowing the watch is guaranteed authentic, warrantied, and you have someone to hold responsible should the watch have any mechanical failure. You'll also have the new watched papered in your name and stamped by the AD, which has value when it comes time (if you desire) to resell the watch as it aids in verifying authenticity.
Your next option (and probably a darn good one) is to get one from Cayce and the guys at preownedrolex.com or another grey dealer, as you mentioned. Although I've never worked with him directly, many of your fellow TRF members have and have great experiences. He's got a stellar reputation for selling authentic AND quality pieces at very reasonable prices. I know for a fact he's got a couple of brand new SS Subs at a really attractive price. Whether the papers are in his name or could be in yours is something you would have to take up with him. The drawback from buying from any grey dealer (such as Alanfurman.com, for example) is that although the watch is authentic, it will not carry with it the Rolex manufacturer's warranty, nor will the watch be stamped with the AD's information (as they are not AD's). This may not be THAT important to you, however, if you know you're going to keep the watch forever. You'll know it's authentic, you'll have no trouble servicing it as needed (when that time comes) and you'll have saved yourself a good bit off MSRP and a boat-load on taxes.
I'm sure some of your new friends on the forum will be able to recommend some quality grey dealers, but I'd first try to get a discount from an out-of state AD to save on tax. If available, that's he BEST route to go. Again, use the members on here for solid references, and best of luck!! Post some pics when the big day happens!
Rubenonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2007, 08:03 AM   #6
OysterDavid
Banned

Shopping adventure

We've suggested it before and will continue to do so. Try going to the smaller AD's and be serious about buying and your chances of getting a discount are heightened.

The larger Rolex AD's that are chain stores don't have the ability or incentive to cut a deal, especially if you're a one time walk in customer just price shopping.

You know the retail...so when you get ready to really pull the trigger, seek out an independent AD, find the watch you're looking for and then ask what your price would be if you bought it right then and there. If you have the ability to pay cash and not use plastic, then after receiving the price, ask once again if there would be a further discount for cash/check/debit card. If you're not happy with the price, politely leave and try another AD. Don't play little funnies, don't be rude and for the model you're looking at, don't expect much more than 10% or so.

If you want a price benchmark, then check out some of the Gray Internet Dealers and you'll have a price target.

If you want pre-owned, then the web site you're referencing (preownedrolex.com) is a great place to buy a watch. Cayce and Patton are top notch trustworthy and many here, including myself, think highly of them. My watch from them was better than described. But they're not the only website that offers pre owned Rolex's, so spend a few more hours checking out the larger web vendors. You'll get a feel for preowned pricing and the experience will prove valuable in your hunt for your premier Rolex.

For a first Rolex, I wouldn't recommend the 'bay'. Well there are certainly deals to be had there, and I've purchased there with success, you will probably have a higher comfort level for your first Rolex if you go a more traditional touchy-feeley route.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2007, 09:30 AM   #7
finance21
2024 Pledge Member

I my very own personal opinion, I would check the boards. I have always has very good luck on the boards. If you decide to purchase a watch off a board, make sure that you check out the sellers references. Many watch buffs (like myself) buy and sell many watches and are very happy to talk with you over the phone and provide references from the board.

Of course, I would only deal in my native country and would only pay with bank cert. check as it does leave a trace.
finance21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2007, 09:45 AM   #8
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
The money is too high to be purchasing off ebay or internet for that matter. I would find a place nearby and purchase.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2007, 03:40 AM   #9
Watchlover
"TRF" Member

Thanks OD for the advice. I will do a little more hunting and when the time comes it will be sweet. BTW. Bay Area rules.
Old 5 April 2007, 03:52 AM   #10
Watchlover
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the kindly advice. I will do a little more hunting for the Sub but when that day comes (ecstatic).