The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2007, 02:04 PM   #1
Blue Bull
Banned

New designs .. much ado,about nothing !!!

Had some time now to study the new designs.Luckily,not one will land up in my modest collection.The Blue TT Sub and Sea-Dweller,is going to be on my wrist for a long time.

The new designs are less than inspiring and one cannot help but to feel that Rolex on their part could have done much better ...

I think the new YM II is one of the most crippled designs I have ever had the displeasure of viewing.

Whats next ? I sure hope they dont bugger up the classic Submariner line up,but,I have a feeling that will come in a years time...

If it aint broken dont fix it .... !! Class is timeless and the new offerings are not ...

Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 02:40 PM   #2
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
If it aint broken dont fix it .... !! Class is timeless and the new offerings are not ...

Rolex! Are you listening!!!!!!?
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 02:45 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiVet View Post

Rolex! Are you listening!!!!!!?
Do those buggers ever listen?

Look at the amount of publicity I've been giving those tossers....and what have I got to show for that?

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 04:49 PM   #4
mike
"TRF" Member

I'm all about the classics!

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 07:16 PM   #5
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Damn them with that dreadful YM2, I sat at the pc this morning thinking it'd all been a bad dream, but no its real all right.

I'll admit that until yesterday I knew less than nothing about how a yacht race started, I'm still not sure I know now, but listening to guys that are well-informed it's apparent that this fiddly contraption is gonna be as much use to them as a chocolate fire-guard, unscrewing the crown at sea is a seriously not recommended and some mentioning that any critical countdown device should have a loud audible alert when it hits zero.

Perhaps they should have put a microwave “ping” on it, I’m joking honest.

It seems very pointless to me and that they went ahead & made it just to prove that they could.

They’d have been better employed looking at the forums & taking notice of what their aficionados wanted, they really missed a trick as they could have learned a lot, some of the Photoshop’s this year make the YM2 look like it’s fallen out of Christmas cracker.

Great pics Mike,
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 08:18 PM   #6
Solar
"TRF" Member

Watch: their hands, baby.
I agree with the above mentioned. There's more of a sense of urgent catch-up to follow a bad trend than the quiet leadership of an industry leader setting an example. And now they want to discontinue the GMT II Pepsi and Black and Red bezel 16710? Oh man.............get your Explorer II now before it is replaced by a Corum-esque nightmare with beeping alarm.............
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2007, 05:06 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
....some of the Photoshop’s this year make the YM2 look like it’s fallen out of Christmas cracker.
How very true, Chris!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2007, 08:37 AM   #8
pcarson

Watch: 16610 Sub Date
"I think the new YM II is one of the most crippled designs I have ever had the displeasure of viewing." (BlueBull)

Couldn't agree more, Chris. I think the YMII is embarassing.

Overall, there are some disappointments, like buggering up the Air King, the blaring YMII and all that bling. On the positive side, the Milgauss is very cool, esp. with the green crystal. It's great to see they've returned to the lightening-bold second hand (very hold-on-to-your-hat, it's 1954!) for this model and the GMTII is a stunner.

The point is well made though; Rolex's positioning has always been to adopt trend only to the extent that it compliments classic design (lightening bolt!), and try to stick to the roots. This new generation has some worrying "me-too" features that make you think about strategic direction, but enough goodies to keep us all watching, if you'll pardon the pun.

I'll take a nice plain Milgauss and a new GMTII any day, and two watches out of a new collection isn't that bad a hit rate. You can't love everything! (Sorry, Keith Richards aside; I think he has tried)
pcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2007, 12:23 PM   #9
Blue Bull
Banned

Yes,the new ss GMT II appears to be a good design.The polished centre links will be more prone to scratching ,though,then no red/black and red/blue options,anymore and the red 24h hand should have been retained ,but overall a pleasing design.Its also going to be expensive.Perhaps now is an excellent time to press the AD hard for a large discount on the excisting GMT II ....

The AK and new DJ dials are also a bit confused.Modernization should not be tried at the expence of style and class .. It would have been nice to see a 40mm option,on both.34mm on a AK,is a bit old and out of style.

What I do like about the Milgauss is the 40mm size and the green tinted crystal.Still,uncertain about the orange lightning bolt hand ... Dials could also have been simpler.Overall,not too bad.
Old 14 April 2007, 12:53 PM   #10
ashu2289
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas,SD
I feel that Rolex should stick to their heritage for which Rolexes are praised for and also because of which their watches have always retained their values over such a long period of times.
But with these innovations Rolexes are hampering the value of their existing watches.

Everything becomes nothing after ROLEX
116520 SS Daytona White Dial
116520 SS Daytona Black Dial
116523 18K&SS Daytona Slate Dial
16600 Sea-Dweller
16710 GMT Master II Pepsi Bezel
16613 18K&SS Submariner Blue Dial
116660 Deepsea Sea-Dweller
ashu2289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2007, 01:46 PM   #11
Blue Bull
Banned

Have been studying the Milgauss white dial.Although the pics are limited and would like to see some more this may be a design that actually works.The white dial with the orange markers and the orange "flash bolt " hand compliments each other and forms a nice contrast on the white dial.This with the "sparkle" of the polished dome bezel, centre link of the Oyster bracelet and polished case,may just provide a very pleasing design,when viewing it "in the flesh"(On the wrist)Whether that will be "dress with a touch of tool " or "tool with a touch of dress",is open to opinion.This one may just be the "best" of the overall ,dismal new offerings.
Old 14 April 2007, 04:26 PM   #12
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
I was looking at a GMT Master II the other day and it has 24 clicks per rotation now...

So it can't be used as a rudimentary timer anymore... you know like for timing parking meters etc.

Swoopier design / Less functionality (disturbing trend).

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2007, 06:46 PM   #13
Blue Bull
Banned

.... and one unfortuanate "mistake" on the Milgauss....the lack of the date function.Its 40mm now,so an exquisite date window/without cyclops,similar to the Sea-Dweller,would have been fantastic ...

You know,the designers at Rolex should should just wake up a bit ...
Old 14 April 2007, 08:45 PM   #14
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonelar View Post
I was looking at a GMT Master II the other day and it has 24 clicks per rotation now...

So it can't be used as a rudimentary timer anymore... you know like for timing parking meters etc.

Swoopier design / Less functionality (disturbing trend).
Yeah, I agree. Though it wasn't designed for that it was nice to have the capability. Shame
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2007, 08:58 PM   #15
Solar
"TRF" Member

Watch: their hands, baby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Yeah, I agree. Though it wasn't designed for that it was nice to have the capability. Shame
I'm telling ya! I'm glad I got my GMT II Pepsi 16710 just under the wire of price hikes/extinction, as they're not going to be making the 16710 anymore apparantly............
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2007, 02:01 AM   #16
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

It is nice that the new Milgauss is 40 mm. I will wait to hold one to see if I really like it, but it looks cool.

Upgrade the bracelets and cases and try to keep the styling classic. That is my advice.

The YMII, well I do not sail, to a sailor it might be very cool for timing races. Mr. Rolex reported the movement is truly something amazing, but to me, I'd never use it.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2007, 02:14 AM   #17
DocD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
There's no doubt that the beauty of the ceramic bezel on the new GMT II is certainly a positive that few can dispute. And as I've stated in prior posts, there's something about the new "supercase" that just doesn't line up right with the bracelet, in MY opinion.

It appears that the gap between the bracelet and the lugs is larger than in the "older" models, though this has been disputed on this site. But if you look at the pictures, most of you will see what I mean. In my opinion, if the end links tapered slightly wider, it would be a nicer transition into the lugs and would be a "cleaner" look.

I also am not a big fan of the polished center links, especially in a "tool" watch. As others have stated, the polished center links are basically a scratch magnet that will take away from the beauty/appearance of the watch, and would drive someone as anal as me crazy!

I'm confident that a change to a supercase and ceramic bezel are in the very near future for the SS sub date. I'm OK with the ceramic bezel, and I'm neutral on the supercase, but I really hope that when they make a change to the sub, they DON'T give it polished center links. It's just not the right look for the sub.

As far as the new Yacht II goes............I really thought I accidentally went on the Corum website or that I was looking at a Rolex/Corum Frankenwatch.
DocD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2007, 02:17 AM   #18
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
I was so pleased with what they did with the new DJ TOG a few years back...It did homage in a way to the Thunderbird, and became a bit less scratch resistant with the fluted bezel. The GMT ll retaiins it heritage, although I see no need for the big crown if it is really not a diving watch, and they would have been smarter to have made it with a white face to commemorate the Pam AM watch. The YM ll looks like a different company...not like a Rolex. The LV retains the SUB history and is just a SS Sub with Maxi Dial and green bezel. No history loss there. But to think that Rolex has to prove something to be something it isn't with complications is a little troubling as who knows where it will go next?
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2007, 02:25 AM   #19
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
Mr. K said it all for me....focus on the bracelets and keep the faces essentially classic. Creative touches with second hand colors (red/green) are interesting, and maybe other subtle stuff, but do not change the watch.

Do any of you own a pair of Alden Cordovan Penny Loafers? Timeless and classic. Can you imagine Alden suddenly making them with a square toe?

That Milgauss is cool.....I like that second hand. I like the 007 hand on the Bond watch. Something whimsical inside a classic design does not scare me.
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote