The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 April 2007, 10:22 PM   #1
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Did Rolex hire Omega/Tag rejects or what??

What is up with the new models, either too bling or look like a cross between Omega, Tags, and swatches!

Too bad Rolex does not stick to it's roots.

Kind of like the way Paneri and IWC stick with mens tool type or historical watches.

Real good article today in International Herald (put out by wall street journal). Insert was all on watches. Had one big article comparing Rolex vs. Paneri. Talked about how Roelx founder went against the tide at the time when all were makig luxury watches, and he made solid tool watches.

I think this new showing at Basel has definately started Rolex on a new generational path.

Cheers.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2007, 10:46 PM   #2
President
Banned

Watch: Bear Grylls
Some of the new ones I would kill for, but some look like expensive Invictas.
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2007, 11:00 PM   #3
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Some of the new ones I would kill for, but some look like expensive Invictas.

Agreed, that just about sums it up.

I'm always amazed/disappointed at how they can move effortlessly between the sublime & the ridiculous.
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 12:13 AM   #4
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

I will not rush out to buy any of them....yet.

I did not like the LV when it first came out, but after awhile it grew on me. I saw one in person and would not mind buying one in the future.

So things change.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 12:29 AM   #5
mrbieler
"TRF" Member

Watch: all about acrylic
Too bad Rolex won't spin off their traditional tool watches into the Tudor line and leave Rolex the gold and bling.

Back when Rolexs were meant to be used and could be afforded by the guys who would use them.

Cursimus Cum Forfex

mrbieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 12:35 AM   #6
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
I wonder how this will affect the current models?
Old 13 April 2007, 12:52 AM   #7
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
Taking the YM II as an example, had this watch not been a Rolex, no one would even consider buying it much less asking how much it costs.

That's the problem with brand names today. The designer can throw out something ugly and it will still sell because of the name attached.

Case in point, Mr. L changing his mind about the LV. I bet if the same LV had Omega instead of Rolex on the dial, we wouldn't be talking about this watch.

There is something to be said about the topic of this post and it's that it looks like Rolex is going against it's own principles by introducing some of these guady watch styles. They are trying to take some of Omega's customer's by using some of their colour combo's and styles. The "lightning" second hand on one of the new models looks totally out of place. I'd expect to see this on an Omega, but not on a Rolex.

My concern is will some of these new styles devalue the Rolex brand.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 05:28 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Taking the YM II as an example, had this watch not been a Rolex, no one would even consider buying it much less asking how much it costs.

That's the problem with brand names today. The designer can throw out something ugly and it will still sell because of the name attached.

Case in point, Mr. L changing his mind about the LV. I bet if the same LV had Omega instead of Rolex on the dial, we wouldn't be talking about this watch.

There is something to be said about the topic of this post and it's that it looks like Rolex is going against it's own principles by introducing some of these guady watch styles. They are trying to take some of Omega's customer's by using some of their colour combo's and styles. The "lightning" second hand on one of the new models looks totally out of place. I'd expect to see this on an Omega, but not on a Rolex.

My concern is will some of these new styles devalue the Rolex brand.
Good post, Kris. Fortunately (and hopefully), Rolex will continue production of most of the current models, especially the popular sports ones and the recently rejuvenated DJs and TOGs.

As for the new line-up....well, barring the eagerly awaited SS GMT-II, nothing really grabs most of us. The Milgauss? Well, not everyone's cuppa. Most of us will shy away from it.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 07:03 AM   #9
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
Yes, but the LV is a classic version of the SUB, not a deviation of the design. The LV only has a green bezel and maxi dial. Other than that, it is a SUB. SO that is not a good comparison for measuring the merits of change. These new watches, especially the YM ll, is a distinct design aberation from the past Rolex watches. I do not like it. I kind of like the Milgauss, and would consider getting it if it had a cyclops.
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 07:27 AM   #10
mike
"TRF" Member

I hope I don't upset anyone, but a couple of points. The Rolex of yesterday (both brand and company) is not the Rolex of old.
The Rolex of old made tool watches to fit a specific need. These watches were, in the main, used as they were designed to be used. Rolex today is a maker of luxury watches..the president of the company has said this himself.
In my view Rolex has been a maker of luxury watches for several years now.
Rolex cares little about the heritage of the very pieces that brought them to the place they are today, witness the lack of support of many of the references associated with the tool watch legend.

Interestingly, the YM II like it or not, may be the first NEW "tool watch" Rolex has made in years. A watch designed for one purpose--a count down for a boat race.
That the people that own these vessels are by and large millionares many times over is reflected in not only the price of the watch, but the materials used.
The milgauss is an interesting piece and I for one am anxious to see it. The lighting bolt seconds hand? Well the orginal had it. You can buy one for the price of a NICE luxury car.

Sadly, IMO Rolex has not lost it's way. Rolex knows exactly where it wants to go.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 07:34 AM   #11
Mrdi
Banned

Mike is correct.
Rolex has been researching from where the money comes and generated a product to appeal to that market.
This is not a new tack for Rolex!
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 10:07 AM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I hope I don't upset anyone, but a couple of points. The Rolex of yesterday (both brand and company) is not the Rolex of old.
The Rolex of old made tool watches to fit a specific need. These watches were, in the main, used as they were designed to be used. Rolex today is a maker of luxury watches..the president of the company has said this himself.
In my view Rolex has been a maker of luxury watches for several years now.
Rolex cares little about the heritage of the very pieces that brought them to the place they are today, witness the lack of support of many of the references associated with the tool watch legend.

Interestingly, the YM II like it or not, may be the first NEW "tool watch" Rolex has made in years. A watch designed for one purpose--a count down for a boat race.
That the people that own these vessels are by and large millionares many times over is reflected in not only the price of the watch, but the materials used.
The milgauss is an interesting piece and I for one am anxious to see it. The lighting bolt seconds hand? Well the orginal had it. You can buy one for the price of a NICE luxury car.

Sadly, IMO Rolex has not lost it's way. Rolex knows exactly where it wants to go.
Good post, Mike....well said!! No one can touch Rolex at the Sales & Marketing game!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 13 April 2007, 11:45 AM   #13
nudie

I am very disappointed by the new models. Was excited and hoping for some new classics but now I just feel somewhat betrayed.
nudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 11:53 AM   #14
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
That YM-II looks like a swatch.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 12:32 PM   #15
Solo118
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
My thoughts exactly Ken, At first I thought it was a late aprils fools joke!
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 01:00 PM   #16
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
well......they are offering customers more choices.........

i have to admit that....at first look ....the ym2 was like holy sh*t.........fugly....!!!!

after the initial "euphoria".......it's not that bad after all...........:)

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 02:55 PM   #17
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlins View Post
well......they are offering customers more choices.........

i have to admit that....at first look ....the ym2 was like holy sh*t.........fugly....!!!!

after the initial "euphoria".......it's not that bad after all...........:)
The first step is denial. After that anger. Then acceptance.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 02:58 PM   #18
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiVet View Post
The first step is denial. After that anger. Then acceptance.
I think right now we are all in the DENIAL and ANGER stages. ACCEPTANCE may never come to most of us!!

Old 13 April 2007, 03:15 PM   #19
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
I guess I'll repeat myself... Art is a tricky business. Methinks Rolex has a bit to learn in that department. If these new offerings are the best their 'in house' talent can come up with (review and approval process aside), Rolex should seriously consider seeking outside talent.

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2007, 12:28 AM   #20
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
The Clownmaster looks like Tammy Faye Baker sneezed on it.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote