The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 May 2007, 04:50 AM   #1
subkrawler
"TRF" Member

White Gold Hands

I love my SD and my LV but if I had one complaint, it would be the white gold hands. I find them difficult to read, especially the seconds hand. That's why I changed the hand on my SD. Most of the time the gold looks black because it's not reflecting any kind of light. If it wasn't for the luminous material, you wouldn't be able to see the hands 90% of the time. The only time I can see the entire hand very clearly is by positioning the watch in such a way that the crystal becomes glared. It's frustrating not being able to easily read something that's supposed to be highly legible.

Rolex paints the hands and minute sourrounds black on the white-dialed Explorer II, so why not paint the hands and minute sourrounds white on all black-dialed, sports SS Rolexes?

Does anyone else feel this way?
Old 18 May 2007, 04:52 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
I love my SD and my LV but if I had one complaint, it would be the white gold hands. I find them difficult to read, especially the seconds hand. That's why I changed the hand on my SD. Most of the time the gold looks black because it's not reflecting any kind of light. If it wasn't for the luminous material, you wouldn't be able to see the hands 90% of the time. The only time I can see the entire hand very clearly is by positioning the watch in such a way that the crystal becomes glared. It's frustrating not being able to easily read something that's supposed to be highly legible.

Rolex paints the hands and minute sourrounds black on the white-dialed Explorer II, so why not paint the hands and minute sourrounds white on all black-dialed, sports SS Rolexes?

Does anyone else feel this way?
Sorry, cannot agree as far as the sports models are concerned. Time readability on all sports Rollies (except those YMs and Daytonas fitted with the MOP dials) is easy peezy.

The WG hands stand out very easily against the black dial of the SD....so it really is very easy to read the time...any time!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 04:52 AM   #3
Solar
"TRF" Member

Watch: their hands, baby.
Or charge less on the White face Explorer II for not using the white gold surrounds............
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 04:53 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Or charge less on the White face Explorer II for not using the white gold surrounds............
The surrounds are in fact WG....just painted over so they don't get camouflaged against the white dial.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 18 May 2007, 05:09 AM   #5
subkrawler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Sorry, cannot agree as far as the sports models are concerned. Time readability on all sports Rollies (except those YMs and Daytonas fitted with the MOP dials) is easy peezy.

The WG hands stand out very easily against the black dial of the SD....so it really is very easy to read the time...any time!!
The lighting must be different there in NZ

Like right now, sitting here at my desk, the hands are blacking out. If it wasn't for the lume, I couldn't see the hands. If they were painted white, there wouldn't even be a question.
Old 18 May 2007, 05:11 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
The lighting must be different there in NZ

Like right now, sitting here at my desk, the hands are blacking out. If it wasn't for the lume, I couldn't see the hands. If they were painted white, there wouldn't even be a question.
Come on, my friend....here's a pic of my ex SD....now, tell me....what's so hard to read?

Old 18 May 2007, 05:41 AM   #7
mlb

Watch: DJ
All those wrinkles are distracting
mlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 05:42 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
All those wrinkles are distracting
Bastid!!

Old 18 May 2007, 06:08 AM   #9
subkrawler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Come on, my friend....here's a pic of my ex SD....now, tell me....what's so hard to read?

I'm talking about seeing the entire hand, not just highlights or the lumed areas. In the photo, if you weren't catching a reflection on the bottom of the hands, the white gold looks black and if not black, at least dark gray. The seconds hand is the worst since it only has lume on the dot.

All I'm saying is that if the hands were painted white, high legibility is easily attained under all light conditions and angles, not just the perfect ones.
Old 18 May 2007, 06:21 AM   #10
ashu2289
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas,SD
Quote:

I agree with JJ
I never found any readability issue on Rolex sports model

Everything becomes nothing after ROLEX
116520 SS Daytona White Dial
116520 SS Daytona Black Dial
116523 18K&SS Daytona Slate Dial
16600 Sea-Dweller
16710 GMT Master II Pepsi Bezel
16613 18K&SS Submariner Blue Dial
116660 Deepsea Sea-Dweller
ashu2289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 06:44 AM   #11
Blue Bull
Banned

Want a easy to read dial ? ..... White Explorer II
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 07:52 AM   #12
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Ahhhh love that photo JJ that is one of the best looking watches that Rolex makes. Black beauty!
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 12:08 PM   #13
subkrawler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bull View Post
Chris...agreed. The white Explorer II is super legible but it's not a diver. Maybe a white dial, black hands Submariner
Old 18 May 2007, 12:23 PM   #14
nudie

You need a red second hand on a white dia like the one on my TOG. Legible from 100m in a coal mine at midnight.
nudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 04:17 PM   #15
Solar
"TRF" Member

Watch: their hands, baby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bull View Post
Love that white dial Exp II

Great choice you made there Chris
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote