The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 10 March 2011, 02:18 PM   #1
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Second hand jerking on hack

Just set the time on my 1680 (freshly serviced at great expense) and the second hand jerked back and forth in about a 20 second arc while I turned the crown in the hack position, is there something up with that? The work is under warranty, not sure if I should take it back.

Also when I unscrew the crown, it feels like there are two threads or something, I unscrew it all the way, and it doesn't "pop" out into the winding position (not hacking position) until I give it a quarter turn in the opposite direction, then it pops out, like its disengaging inside somewhere, not sure if that's normal or not.

Thanks in advance.
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2011, 04:32 AM   #2
jamesw
"TRF" Member

I'm definitely no expert but the second hand jerking back and forth does not sound right. I would be checking with your service guy.
As for the crown not popping out until its given a quarter turn in the opposite direction, i have the same thing with my SD. It was like that from new so i took it to RSC Sydney where the watchmaker said there was nothing to be worried about. I assume there must be a slight imperfection to the thread(s).
jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2011, 04:53 AM   #3
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Just set the time on my 1680 (freshly serviced at great expense) and the second hand jerked back and forth in about a 20 second arc while I turned the crown in the hack position, is there something up with that? The work is under warranty, not sure if I should take it back.

Also when I unscrew the crown, it feels like there are two threads or something, I unscrew it all the way, and it doesn't "pop" out into the winding position (not hacking position) until I give it a quarter turn in the opposite direction, then it pops out, like its disengaging inside somewhere, not sure if that's normal or not.

Thanks in advance.
As to the jerking, that doesn't sound right. I'm sure someone will chime in on that.

As to the crown popping out, that is normal to varying degrees. Mine pops out partially and then to get it fully popped-out into the window position takes a slight turn of the crown. There was just recently a thread on this and its quite normal.
Old 12 March 2011, 09:01 AM   #4
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
The spring loaded part on a Rolex crown that screws onto the stem is a 2 part affair that locks and unlocks when you push in the crown in it has a 5 sided sleeve that sometimes gets stuck when unscrewing the crown and takes a little josiling to pop it out. As far as your sweep second hand goes I have seen it occasionnaly and can't remember what causes it. When I remember I'll let you know. Rik
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2011, 12:26 AM   #5
tattooedfagin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red
the second hand on my 1680 had exactly the same 'jerk' whilst otherwise still running strong, it's currently sat in RSC being serviced for first time in 27 years, let you know if it makes any difference once it comes back

TRF Hall of Fame
tattooedfagin is offline   Reply With Quote