The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: is rolex a status symbol watch
yes 120 87.59%
no 17 12.41%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 July 2007, 05:49 PM   #61
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Jean Dunand watches which start at about $300,000.00 USD that’s a status symbol. An item that less than 5% of the earth’s population could ever dream of buying would be a status symbol to me. A $10,000,000. Dollar cabin in Jackson Hole Wyoming that’s a status symbol to me. An entry level Rolex can be bought by most anyone with a solid job, and desire to own a Rolex. I could never own a collection of Ferrari’s as I could not afford it, a collection of $200,000.00 Ferrari thats the ultimate status symbol.

http://www.forbes.com/collecting/200..._1201feat.html

Rolex is not even listed in the above article.

Try this one as well
http://www.professionalwatches.com/jean_dunand/
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 12:55 AM   #62
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
Jean Dunand watches which start at about $300,000.00 USD that’s a status symbol. .....with a solid job, and desire to own a Rolex. I could never own a collection of Ferrari’s as I could not afford it, a collection of $200,000.00 Ferrari thats the ultimate status symbol.

http://www.forbes.com/collecting/200..._1201feat.html

Rolex is not even listed in the above article.

Try this one as well
http://www.professionalwatches.com/jean_dunand/
Interesting....

But all this seems to equate spending money with status..... that is only one way and meaningless if nobody knows you have a mansion in the hills.

A symbol though, does not have to be expensive. In fraternal lodges, on college campuses, badges and T-shirts denote your status and are your symbols.

In courtrooms, the black robe is a symbol of status for the judge, commercial pilot captains wear 4 stripes to denote their status, and on and on........

A Rolex on your wrist IS a symbol of your status.
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 12:59 AM   #63
mfer
"TRF" Member

A status symbol is something that is perceived to indicate a high social status in its owner. Almost everyone knows Rolex. Most people think Rolex's are more expensive than they really are as well. My friends think a sub cost like $15k! Only the truly rich know what Jean Dunand is.
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 01:30 AM   #64
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

Absolutley
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 03:06 AM   #65
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
All the folks who own Patek and other big names seem to hate Rolex according to other forums.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 03:14 AM   #66
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
All the folks who own Patek and other big names seem to hate Rolex according to other forums.

Ah yes.....That is envy......

It is very frustating to some to wear a watch that is as well made (or better) and costs as much (or more) as a Rolex, and yet.....is completely unrecognizable except by another owner..

Some of those high dollar watches look, well...just plain goofey.

You want respect...you want a status symbol....Get a Rolex.

Anything else, regardless of make or price, is somehow.......less.

Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 03:17 AM   #67
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
It is a matter of semantics, and a loaded question. What do you mean by "status symbol"? Is a status symbol a bad thing, a good thing? Does owning one make you better than everyone else (No). Does owning one make you richer (no), smarter (no)...etc. To 99.9% of the world, most people know and recognize the Rolex name as one of the (best, most expensive, exclusive, beautiful, classic, fill in the blank) timepieces in the world. To own one or wear one you are either consciously or subconsciously sending a message..."I have the means and desire to spend several thousand dollars on "a truly remarkable timepiece" or a "watch", you decide. People wear them for different reasons. I've learned not to give a sh!t what anyone else thinks. I wear mine because I love them.
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 03:21 AM   #68
S2000 Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Datum ß
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
...I've learned not to give a sh!t what anyone else thinks. I wear mine because I love them.
Amen!

S2000 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 03:47 AM   #69
Omar_Jaramillo

What !? I think people here exaggerate or dont really realise how fortunate everyone here is to be able to buy $10,000 dollars watches.

Keep in mind that more than half of THE WORLDS POPULATION makes less than $2 Dollars a DAY !!!

Even having a solid job depends on what country you are, most people can only dream of owning an amazing timepiece like ROLEX.

So Rolex is DEFINITELY a status symbol !
Omar_Jaramillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 03:52 AM   #70
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Stirring the pot I see......

I have rarely seen anyone on other forums "hate" Rolex watches. I see many who don't consider them to be the best, and who don't worship the brand the way JJ does, but rarely do I see anyone who hates them. They just simply see them for what they are - a good, reliable watch.
Old 10 July 2007, 03:58 AM   #71
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Ah yes.....That is envy......

It is very frustating to some to wear a watch that is as well made (or better) and costs as much (or more) as a Rolex, and yet.....is completely unrecognizable except by another owner..

Some of those high dollar watches look, well...just plain goofey.

You want respect...you want a status symbol....Get a Rolex.

Anything else, regardless of make or price, is somehow.......less.

Offering some alternatrive thoughts for consideration.....

Since even a lower end Patek costs more than most SS or TT Rolex models, why do you think the source of the perceived "hate" would be envy? That really doesn't make sense since most could easily afford to buy a Rolex.

And as for being recognized, that is actually the reason why some of these collectors don't buy a Rolex.......frustrating for some, desirable for others.

Old 10 July 2007, 04:11 AM   #72
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
I think of Rolex as a quality symbol.
Old 10 July 2007, 12:52 PM   #73
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
S2000 Driver
You are very wise "I wear mine because I love them." I feel that is the view of most here on this forum. That is why I wear mine, I have tried to tell non-forum members this when ever I take S- - t for owning a Rolex, but they just don't get it. Most always feel there is some big picture reason for owning a Rolex it is just a watch nothing more or less.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 12:56 PM   #74
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Stirring the pot I see......

I have rarely seen anyone on other forums "hate" Rolex watches. I see many who don't consider them to be the best, and who don't worship the brand the way JJ does, but rarely do I see anyone who hates them. They just simply see them for what they are - a good, reliable watch.
If you read the public forum on TZ, you will find plenty of old timers and collectors that do hate Rolex. I don't fault them, same way I don't fault people that hate the other brands.

There are plenty of big brands that I would never choose to own, don't hate 'em, just have zero use for them.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 01:45 PM   #75
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Actually I would....

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB View Post
Well, of course it is. Would you buy one without the logo, or Rolex brand printed?
This was a great question for me. I've worn Rolex for about 25 years now, and lately bought a solid gold Jaeger LeCoultre Master Calendar "status watch" Was even thinking about a Patek Phillippe. I had moved away from Rolex toward "status" watches.

Now I have two Rolexes again - a 93 TT Daytona and a new champagne dialed TT Yachtmaster, neither of which gets ANY attention.

I also tumbled onto Panerai, which is a brand I really like, despite knowing that it isn't nearly the watch movements of JLC (except the 190)

And my favorite night lume watch is my Ball "Mad Cow"

Would I buy Rolex without the name. You bet. I buy what I like. And I like Rolex. Why? I can put on my Yachtmaster, see it at night or at a play or movie, wear it in the ocean, pool, or running, rinse it off, and do it all again the next day. If they made a 44 mm water proof Daytona with better quality all night lume, it would be my only watch, I think.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 04:26 PM   #76
santaclaus2100

Watch: TT GMT Master II
I bought a Rolex because I got frustrated with my Zenith El Primero & Jaeger LeCoultre.

I like the quality and look, and of course the TT GMT II, is a rugged sports model.

For some reason, they don't function as "ruggedly" as my Rolex. Given, that the Zenith & JLC are good brands, probably "status symbols" too.

But, I am now sticking with my Rollie. Even my wife noticed that I have been wearing my Rolex more than my other watches.
santaclaus2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 02:07 AM   #77
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Hey Omar--90% of the people on the forum (that voted) agree with the idea that they ARE a status symbol (and what that means to every individual wearer).
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 03:13 AM   #78
greenfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16710 Coke
Definately yes! Although it's not the most expensive watch you can buy, any ROLEX is a status symbol watch.....
Old 11 July 2007, 03:26 AM   #79
Interested Bystander

Watch: Rolex Oysterdate
I've owned watches for years with little worry about quality or perceived status and have even had a person or two try to sell me a fake Rolex.

For some reason when people think of quality watches they think Rolex,
there are many quality watches, but Rolex is the one that an average person thinks of when they think of a classy watch.

I sell insurance and have maybe 10 Rolex watches scheduled onto owners policies. I can't think of any other brand watch scheduled onto a homeowners policy.

It is a status of quality. And even though I don't have one I could buy a Rolex 6694 Oysterdate Precision and if someone saw the Rolex brand, they would think I paid a bunch more than I did for it.

Matter of fact I may break into Rolex ownership with a Oysterdate 6694 one day soon. I was thinking against it, but even that modest watch has a look of class and endurance, that most just don't have.
Interested Bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 03:46 AM   #80
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
Since all of us agree that there are many people who wear Rollies simply because they cost a bit and don't know a damn thing about the watch itself, I think it's time for TRF to sell ball caps and T-shirts so we can be recognized as true WIS's!
watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote