The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 July 2007, 08:05 AM   #1
USMCsilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Anniv. GMT II
Icon20 Future Value of LV 50th?

Well, what do you guys think? Will it ever be as valuable as the red-lettered Subs? Or, will it just be a little notch above the regular run-of-the-mill Subs?

I'm still torn on which watch to get -- new GMT II or LV Sub.

I'm just wondering which would ever bring a better resale if forced to sell or decide to trade up.
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 08:17 AM   #2
Oyster Lover
"TRF" Member

My vote is for a pretty good resale value, but not any time soon... Maybe five years?
Oyster Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 08:23 AM   #3
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
Well, what do you guys think? Will it ever be as valuable as the red-lettered Subs? Or, will it just be a little notch above the regular run-of-the-mill Subs?

I'm still torn on which watch to get -- new GMT II or LV Sub.

I'm just wondering which would ever bring a better resale if forced to sell or decide to trade up.

The LV will never ever be as sought-after as the Red Subs.

I don't even think the LV will be discontinued, but I still consider it just a bit more special than the new SS GMT, so if I were to choose one of them, I'd go for the LV.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 08:28 AM   #4
mike
"TRF" Member

I always a bit reluctant to comment on things like this because it might tend to influence a buying decision. The only reason to buy a watch is because it appeals to you.

Having said that ( and without the use of a crystal ball LOL!) I would say the LV for a couple of reasons;

The GMT is a new reference. It's going to be around for a long time. The LV was designed to commerate 50 years of the Submariner. It shares the same case as the current 16610. There are far fewer LVs than regular black subs and that will always be the case.
Should the 16610 receive the "upgrades" we see in the new GMT I can't see continued production of the LV. Yeah, Rolex might continue with the LV in a new maxi case, but that's not the current version.

Will it rival the plastic models? I don't know. I doubt it, but I don't know.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 08:31 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
............. Will it ever be as valuable as the red-lettered Subs? Or, will it just be a little notch above the regular run-of-the-mill Subs?

I'm sorry...........I believe the green sub is selling for more right now than it will be in our lifetime. (comparatively speaking)

Hey....I could be wrong........but I doubt it - flame away

Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 08:58 AM   #6
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
in five years when a brand new LV is going for ... what... $8,000?

you'll be able to get $6,000-$6,500 for your LV Sub depending on it's condition of course.

buy it to wear it... not to make money on it. The LV is a current production watch... it's numbers on the market will continue to increase over the coming years.

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 09:01 AM   #7
Teofilo

Watch: 14060M,16710 PEPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedweller View Post
The LV will never ever be as sought-after as the Red Subs.

I don't even think the LV will be discontinued, but I still consider it just a bit more special than the new SS GMT, so if I were to choose one of them, I'd go for the LV.
The LV would be my choice out of the two.....
The GMT will be about for years, but the LV ??????????
Who knows.......and those that have it absolutely rave over it
Teofilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 09:41 AM   #8
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
As always, I'm with Mike on this one...buy what you like.
As a matter of opinion, I'd take the LV. Not only because I don't really care for the Anniv GMT-II, but also because you never know when your chances of getting one new and (relatively) easily will run out. I'm guessing the new reference of GMT is here to stay, at least for a while.
Rubenonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 10:13 AM   #9
USMCsilver
"TRF" Member

You guys are no help. I was hoping that you'd say GMT...

The new one just has, well, better stuff. Yeah, I can't go down to the bottom of the ocean with it on, but damn, how often does that happen.

Granted, the green looks really, really good, but the simplicity of the all black Subs has been a winner for years, now I can have an even better design and have it packaged in a GMT.

Damn, damn, damn.
Old 11 July 2007, 10:21 AM   #10
Robb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR
Does your dealer have both in stock??
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 10:30 AM   #11
Bama
"TRF" Member

I understand the difficult decision you are facing. I love my LV Sub and worried about resale value and all that stuff when I was looking to buy. I think the best advice that has been given on this forum is to buy what you like without any thought to resale. You will be wearing the watch, not just keeping it in a box as an investment. I wish I knew what the future value of the LV will be. I hope a lot now that I own one. The GMT is great and I hope to own one someday. Good luck!
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 10:35 AM   #12
USMCsilver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Does your dealer have both in stock??
They have neither. That's what really sucks. Can't stick one on each wrist and, "ohh, ahh" until I figure it out.
Old 11 July 2007, 10:36 AM   #13
ajmarton

Watch: Rolex 16750 Pam 48
Not that this will help but I just sold my 1991 L series GMT II (2 tone / jubilee) and picked up a 5/2006 LV. I wore it to work today and several people noticed and commented on it. I never got that kind of attention with the GMT (and this was my second GMT - I had an earlier SS GMT I at some point). I also love the lum on the LV it is incredible. It beats the Panerai which I thought was the best superlumed watch out there. As a side note, I also like the size of the LV.
ajmarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 10:39 AM   #14
capoots

Watch: LV
The 2 things that always confused me is when people ask what watch they should buy and which watch would have the best resale value. How or why would you spend money on an expensive watch if you dont know what style you want, OR if you are considering to even sell it in the future. I would think that if you are going to spend that kind of money on anything, it would be something you know you want and something you dont think you ever would want to part with. How can you put resale value on something you reallly really want and have to have. I have always wanted a SS Sub, for years, its the only watch I ever wanted. I could never consider selling it. When buying a watch, I would think that is how you would want to make your decision.
capoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 10:42 AM   #15
USMCsilver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoots View Post
The 2 things that always confused me ...
Don't get me wrong, I'm just after the best bang for the buck. The LV looks good, but the features of the NEW GMT seem to be a better "value" than the LV. But, that bezel just looks so good. I enjoy the normal Sub, so I am sure I could equally enjoy the GMT, however, that green is gorgeous!

Wonder if the AD can get both in store.
Old 11 July 2007, 10:42 AM   #16
Bama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The 2 things that always confused me is when people ask what watch they should buy and which watch would have the best resale value. How or why would you spend money on an expensive watch if you dont know what style you want, OR if you are considering to even sell it in the future. I would think that if you are going to spend that kind of money on anything, it would be something you know you want and something you dont think you ever would want to part with. How can you put resale value on something you reallly really want and have to have. I have always wanted a SS Sub, for years, its the only watch I ever wanted. I could never consider selling it. When buying a watch, I would think that is how you would want to make your decision.
That's good advice.
Old 11 July 2007, 10:44 AM   #17
Tools

Quote:
You guys are no help. I was hoping that you'd say GMT...

.......................... but the simplicity of the all black Subs has been a winner for years, now I can have an even better design and have it packaged in a GMT.

Damn, damn, damn.
No problem...I'll say it...Get the new GMT.......first issue, new design, trip-lock; it has collector status written all over it right out of the box. Get two...put one in a zip lock bag, box papers and all, and keep it mint...in ten years sell one and get your money for both back...

The LV is just a green sub..

Old 11 July 2007, 11:01 AM   #18
USMCsilver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How can you put resale value on something you reallly really want and have to have.
Have you ever purchased a car?
Old 11 July 2007, 11:03 AM   #19
Bama
"TRF" Member

The LV is just a green sub..

That hurts.
Old 11 July 2007, 11:14 AM   #20
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
More than just a Green Bezel Sub. Has the Maxi Dial as well, that is why I bought it. Hard choice, both are good watches. But, I do think some fo the design features in the newer GMT II are much more practical. (better shock resitance, better anti-magnetic properties, summer extension on the clasp, dual time function - which I personally need, and also has a larger hour hand)
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 12:34 PM   #21
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
More than just a Green Bezel Sub. Has the Maxi Dial as well, that is why I bought it. ....................

I'm truly sorry........I might have stepped on a toe or two...

OK.....OK....The LV is not just a green sub......

It's really just a green bezel Yacht Master.

Old 11 July 2007, 12:43 PM   #22
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
The LV Sub is a watch buy it, use it, and don't sell it as you will miss the watch. I don't think you will ever make big money on it unless your in the future and your so old you could not use the money for anything but medical bills.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 01:36 PM   #23
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
I like the new GMT II and would consider getting that. But I think the LV would hold its value better since I'm going to bet that production will be less than the GMT II.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 03:59 PM   #24
bearzod
"TRF" Member

First off, buy what appeals to you. Having said that, the LV Sub is probably more collectible right now given that it is likely to be rarer, and could go away when Rolex decides to introduce a new reference. Some have speculated that this new reference will consist of the traditional Sub with a ceramic dial, supercase, maxi dial, and upgraded clasp (all features found on the new GMT).

Maybe this happens, maybe not. However the new GMT will always be the "first" of a new reference, making it instantly collectible. Another speculation is that Rolex will go back to the red 24-hour hand at some point, making early models collectible in that aspect. (Think about it - 20 years from now, people may regard a "green hand" GMT as they do a "red letter" Sub.)

But once again, choose the model that appeals to you.
bearzod is offline   Reply With Quote