The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 July 2007, 05:27 AM   #1
RONeb

Icon19 Hello from a newibe and a story and a quesion

Hello
I am kind of new to this forum, just wanted to say hello to you all

I really love watches!
I have been readin this forum for quite a time, enjoying all the great posts/reviews and so on
I always loved watches, since I was a little boy, and the more I like watches the more I like more of a "tool" watches like diving watches
I prefer the "old plain" simple design of a watch, with 3 hands and a date or with out a date (Don't like chorons, GMT and so on)

Any way
Up till now I haven't had in my collection of watches any watch worth more then 1000$, and I always wanted to have a Rolli, since I was a kido I wanted to have it
So, I wonder ;Is it worth getting it for me?
The main issue is the $, I mean for the price of one Rolex I can get some nice watches like Omega,Breitiling and so on (and I love all watches)
But I want some thing "special" for me
I am thinking that if I will get a Rolex, it will probably be my only daily watch for the coming years, is Rolex a good choice for a daily beater?
Also, Should I invest in only "ONE" good expensive watch like a Rolex, when I get many others for that price?
I am afraid that if I will get a Rolex, I will feel sorry for all the $ I have spent on it (I don't have a lot of $ right now, it will take me maybe a year to save for it)
, but if I won't get it, I will feel like I have missed something out there... and will always have this feeling like "I should have got what I really want, and nothing else can satisfy me till then"
So
I don't sure what to do with all that, I am sure they are many guys out there who had the same dilemma when they have bought their first Rolex when they didn't have a lot of $ and needed to save of it for a long time

And finally, if I do get a Rolex, it must be one of the diving watches(SeaDweller,Sub not date,Sub with date), and even here I am not sure what to get that will both be an "all time classic" and will satisfy me for years to come

Hope you guys can help me a little bit
Thank you
RONeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 05:46 AM   #2
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Welcome to the club; I was there myself some time ago. To answer all your questions; YES; a Rolex is an expensive (sort of, not if compared to other brands) watch, but it is something you can wear daily with no problems. If your idea is for a Rolex to be your 'daily beater', I would go with a SS or 2T. As far as the model, it is really up to what YOU like.
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 05:50 AM   #3
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Just MHO
If you desire a Rolex, get one.
You are right, you might always be saying "I should have" if you settle for something less.
Any of the 3 you mentioned are great. Me, I would go Sub Date.
Classic design, classic Rolex Cyclops, great overall watch.
Also, SS over TT. The SS will show less scratches on the bracelet than the high polished TT.
Best of luck.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 05:57 AM   #4
RONeb

Oh yeah I prefer SS, not matter what
I love to be more "discreet", don't like all this 2-tone or golden watches
I also love big watches, I wished the Rolex was more than 40mm
It is just that it cost quite a lot, it really need "guts" to pull off such an amount of $ for it
Old 11 July 2007, 06:37 AM   #5
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I replied "Go for the Sub 14060M" in your other thread.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 06:42 AM   #6
stlduckhunter

Watch: Rolex Daytona
A Rolex is never a "daily beater" maybe a daily driver, like Daytona.
stlduckhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 07:40 AM   #7
RONeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedweller View Post
I replied "Go for the Sub 14060M" in your other thread.
Amm, Yeah this one will maybe do it, and it cost the less of them all
I wished it had the "no holes" design
Old 11 July 2007, 07:51 AM   #8
mike
"TRF" Member

I'm with Bo on this one. The 14060M is a great choice!
Classic style, and look at the lug holes as a bonus...it's the only sport model left that has them.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 08:28 AM   #9
Bama
"TRF" Member

I was in the same situation not too long ago trying to justify spending the money on a new Rolex vs. getting an Omega or something. I thought of all the watches I liked that I could buy for the price of one new Rolex. But then I thought, this is something I've wanted for a long time. All of my watch purchases have been leading up to getting a Rolex. What's the point of spending another grand or two on a watch that I would really just be settling on. Omega and others are great watches and will do the job well but I wanted a Roelx and decided I'd spend no more money on other watches until I had owned one. My advice - GET IT! SS Sub, SD, or GMT, all good choices that will stand up to everyday use and be a classic for years to come.
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 08:43 AM   #10
richardlo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
I say just do it, you have admired them since a child and to get many others in place of a Rolex is still not the same. Buy it enjoy it and if you have grown out of it there is still a market to sell it in.
I think its fine as a daily watch, its reputation is quality so using it everyday is ok. Its not a delicate piece of glass and can take more damage to it than you think.
I live by the motto you can only drive one car at a time, live in one house at a time, and wear one watch at a time. So for me I got the one I have always wanted and thats the only one I will wear till I get tired of it then I will sell it or give it to my son and then go after the next one I want.
richardlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 09:43 AM   #11
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Welcome to the club!
I'm with the Mike and Bo on this one...go with the No-Date Submariner. An absolute classic. That watch IS Rolex.
Rubenonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 04:44 PM   #12
RONeb

Thanx guys
I guess the $ is the issue now, need to earn it
BTW
Is it true they are going to change the Sub to a new one? with the new case,bracelet and so on? (Like the GMT II)
Old 11 July 2007, 05:13 PM   #13
erasuretim
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
14060m

Hi!

I was in a similar position. I had a large sum from an insurance claim that i could only spend in a jewelers - i found it a little daunting. I was worried in case I bought something expensive and did not like it once i got home. I already had a couple of Rolex but they were vintage pieces, buying new is different.

Really you can't go wrong with a 'the' sub [14060m] I love mine [it was what i got with the insurance money] Simple, rugged, understated, historical lineage, easy to flip if [for some inexplicable reason] you want to later. Given that you have such a fantastic stylish watch, in house swiss movement, everything else on it made by Rolex, great accuracy etc I think they are cheap for what they are! In five years time after you've worn it every day abused it and scratched it you can send it to Rolex and it will come back looking like new!

Owning a Rolex is not for shrinking violets, they are a catalyst for [sometimes heated] discussion among watch fans and you have to sometimes be prepared to stand up a defend the brand!!!!

Get down that AD!!

Regards

Tim
erasuretim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 05:30 PM   #14
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Welcome to TRF, go out and get a sub.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 05:32 PM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Welcome to TRF. Looks like the guys have given you all the necessary advice.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 07:24 PM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONeb View Post
Thanx guys
I guess the $ is the issue now, need to earn it
BTW
Is it true they are going to change the Sub to a new one? with the new case,bracelet and so on? (Like the GMT II)
Basically the Rolex Subs have changed very little over 50 years and any changes have been are very minor.Now since the introduction of the Cal 3135in 1988 the only changes to the date sub has been the SEL and non lug holes in case hardly earth shattering and a different date letter stamped on case.Would doubt if Rolex will change the case or put polished centre links on the subs.The only thing they will do is clutter up the non date subs dial with
a few words Superlative Chronometer.Now without these words the non date could easily match the COSC test.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2007, 12:24 AM   #17
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
If you like a simple watch, get a nice Explorer withut date. Simply beautiful and simple, and will serve you for years. You will then start on your path of Rolex addiction. Well, there could be worse things, car addictions, woman addictions, booze and drugs and gambling. So go ahead and get this more harmless addiction started. I highly recommend it.
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2007, 01:09 AM   #18
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
If you don't have your heart absolutely set on a divers watch, I think the Rolex Air King model 14010M is a great watch.

Good looks, good movement, waterproof, looks like a Rolex,

and costs about 20% less than the Sub.

Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2007, 01:30 AM   #19
s1m0n
"TRF" Member

Hi

As one Israeli to another there is no question as to which watch!!

Simon

Last edited by s1m0n; 12 July 2007 at 01:32 AM.. Reason: none
s1m0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2007, 02:03 AM   #20
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Is the camel on the grill the same one that is in the picture?? LOL. If you can swing a Rolex, do it. My 1st was a stretch and I never looked back. Your main regret won't be getting it but not getting it. If you got a SS Sub you could wear it forever and never need or want to upgrade (brand or model). BTW, am I the only one who has never had to "defend" my Rolex? I don't obsess about owing one (except here) or flash it, etc. It's just a beautiful watch that I enjoy and shouldn't matter to anyone else. Nobody seems to want to get into it with me...BTW, I am 6' 5" and 275 lbs.....could that be part of it? Try it, you'll love it.
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2007, 02:18 AM   #21
RONeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo View Post
If you like a simple watch, get a nice Explorer withut date. Simply beautiful and simple, and will serve you for years. You will then start on your path of Rolex addiction. Well, there could be worse things, car addictions, woman addictions, booze and drugs and gambling. So go ahead and get this more harmless addiction started. I highly recommend it.
The problem that it doesn't have the date, and like I say the case with holes is kind of "weak" compare with the the Sub Date or SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
If you don't have your heart absolutely set on a divers watch, I think the Rolex Air King model 14010M is a great watch.

Good looks, good movement, waterproof, looks like a Rolex,

and costs about 20% less than the Sub.

It is to small for me, I have a 7.25' hand, and maybe I have got used to big watches, but when I put any thing under 40mm it look to small for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1m0n View Post
Hi

As one Israeli to another there is no question as to which watch!!

Nice photos!
I hope the camel didn't end his life on the grill

Simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
Is the camel on the grill the same one that is in the picture?? LOL. If you can swing a Rolex, do it. My 1st was a stretch and I never looked back. Your main regret won't be getting it but not getting it. If you got a SS Sub you could wear it forever and never need or want to upgrade (brand or model). BTW, am I the only one who has never had to "defend" my Rolex? I don't obsess about owing one (except here) or flash it, etc. It's just a beautiful watch that I enjoy and shouldn't matter to anyone else. Nobody seems to want to get into it with me...BTW, I am 6' 5" and 275 lbs.....could that be part of it? Try it, you'll love it.

Well you are a big guy
BTW, doesn't a Rolex look to small on a big man like you?!

Yeah my point in getting a Rolex is actually saving $, because if I won't get it , then I will buy other brands and than some more, and in the end I will buy the Rolex
So maybe buying a Rolex can save me all of this quest
Old 12 July 2007, 02:55 AM   #22
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONeb View Post
The problem that it doesn't have the date, and like I say the case with holes is kind of "weak" compare with the the Sub Date or SD
Well don't forget the first Comex subs were converted 5513 with the H/V and they had lug holes.And can assure those watches would take a lot more punishment that the average Rolex wearer today will ever give them..And what difference is having lug holes or not, at least with the lug holes bracelet is much easier to change.And the only reason rolex introduced the non lug hole cases,less time per unit to drill though,means more production time for more watches.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2007, 02:59 AM   #23
givenup

Watch: sea dweller
ive got a tag and an omega and neither have the feel or quality of a rolex
submariner or seadwller
givenup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2007, 03:28 AM   #24
RONeb

Quote: