The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 June 2011, 03:34 AM   #1
mburl549
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Running Slow

Hi Guys,

What's an acceptable amount of seconds to lose on an automatic watch?

MB
mburl549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2011, 03:44 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburl549 View Post
Hi Guys,

What's an acceptable amount of seconds to lose on an automatic watch?

MB
The COSC spec is a Average of between -4 and +6 seconds over any 24 hour period. But thats with a fully manually wound watch to start with, try resting watch while off wrist flat dial up might gain a few seconds over night.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2011, 03:51 AM   #3
mburl549
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The COSC spec is a Average of between -4 and +6 seconds over any 24 hour period. But thats with a fully manually wound watch to start with, try resting watch while off wrist flat dial up might gain a few seconds over night.
Great thank you. what amount should be cause for concern?
Old 22 June 2011, 03:55 AM   #4
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Rolex watches have a stricter standard of -1 to +5 seconds per day and hence the designation, "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" on the dial.
Old 22 June 2011, 04:03 AM   #5
mburl549
"TRF" Member

thanks, this has been a great help.
Old 22 June 2011, 11:55 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
Rolex watches have a stricter standard of -1 to +5 seconds per day and hence the designation, "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" on the dial.
Not 100% true movements of the Rolex size are all tested to the same Swiss COSC standard.The wording "Superlative" in front of the official designation of Chronometer, is today merely a Rolex marketing ploy to give it a more distinguished sound to the chronometer status of their products. Any words added before or after the official designation of Chronometer are merely purely marketing,likewise the wording Certified Chronometer,is a redundant phrase word, since getting the Chronometer status is the certification,but the certification is only at the time of testing the bare uncased movement at COSC,the added certified on the dial is just more marketing to make it sound better.But many of the Rolex watch servicers will try and better or at least equal the Swiss COSC spec standard.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2011, 01:15 AM   #7
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
You'll get lots of opinions on what is acceptable accuracy. I'd suggest you sync to an atomic clock source, then check it in exactly 7 days. Then divide by 7. If you've lost 20 seconds or less most would say it's acceptable. Some would say even 28 seconds or less is good, ie the bottom end of the COSC. It's up to you, losing four a day average is ok, it's good enough, the question is, is a watch that is good enough, but not spectacular, good enough for you?
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2011, 01:31 AM   #8
khoi201188

I adjust my sub 4 minutes faster
This way I will never be late, and I will never need to care about the variation of my sub , I cannot find any bad reason of adjust the watch faster
khoi201188 is offline   Reply With Quote