The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 July 2007, 03:15 AM   #1
S2000 Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Datum ß
Walk-In vs. Mail-In RSC Service

Although I hope to not have to send in my new z-series 16610 Sub Date for at least another 5 years, wondering if there is any advantage/disadvantage to bringing your Rolex to one of the RSCs in-person vs. mailing it in.

I am an easy 1-hour train ride away from mid-town Manhattan so I would prefer bringing my watch in to the NYC RSC for service in-person when the time comes.

Anyone here have any recommendations one way or the other?

BTW, this is an interesting post by John Holbrook about mailing his Sea-Dweller to the NYC RSC for service:

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/service.html
Old 31 July 2007, 03:22 AM   #2
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I would ALWAYS take my Rolex to the RSC personally!

Reasons:

1) You can talk to the guy actually servicing your Rolex and better guide him as to what you want. That way you can also very clearly put a FACE and a NAME of the responsible person, IF your Rolex gets bad service (is scratched or something worse).

2) Almost no matter HOW you send the watch, there will always be a risk of:

a) The parcel getting knocked about, not good for your Rolex
b) some dishonest mailman / courier snatching your Rolex
Of course you CAN insure it, but personally I would rather keep the original Rolex than getting a new one and go through all the hassle with the insurance company. It can take months before you get a new one, if at all, since investigations have to be started as to its whereabouts etc., etc.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 03:24 AM   #3
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
I say there are advantages to bringing it in person.

1. You get to interact and see the people who work with your watch which I find a big advantage. You can tell them exactly what might be wrong with your watch. I find that more reliable than describing to your AD what needs to be done. Some people are not satisfied with the job done on their watch because of this. (i.e You have a perfectly aged and faded bezel that you want to keep on the watch but it ends up getting replaced and you cant get the old bezel back.)

2. If you need a simple regulation, its just in and out, a quick hour or less and thats it!

3. You get the piece of mind that they actually receive the watch directly.

I know number three sounds ridiculous when you read it but I dont mess around with number three. I know of somebody who lost their watch during a routine service. They just couldnt recover the watch anywhere like it just disappeared. The AD that took in the watch offered a new watch of the same model at no charge but its never the same as having the watch you always owned.

-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
BiG JeEzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 05:40 AM   #4
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Gotta agree with the rest of the guys on taking it in person...all REALLY good points. I'm about an hour flight from the RSC in Beverly Hills, so when the time comes I imagine I'll just hop on a plane and deliver it myself. It could double as a nice little weekend vacation as well!
Old 31 July 2007, 05:50 AM   #5
Geoff
"TRF" Member

I was told that Rolex NY service work is now done in Pennsylvania. I had a minor issue recently with my Z series Exp. II. I took it to an AD is the Washington, DC area and they suggested it be sent to RSC as the watch was under warranty. They sent it in for me, although I didn't purchase from them, and I had it back from RSC within two weeks.
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 06:06 AM   #6
Chad M
"TRF" Member

If the option is there to "walk-in" then that IMHO would be the best. The Postal service is pretty good but the do make errors etc and if you can cut that process out then why not?
I only live 1 hour away from a RSC so I will be going in person. As mentioned to much to risk sending via mail if it can be avoided.
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 06:18 AM   #7
walds11
"TRF" Member

Pennsylvania? Why would you send the watch to NY RSC? RGM is in PA. They are an authorized Rolex repair center and authorized repair center for other brands too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
I was told that Rolex NY service work is now done in Pennsylvania. I had a minor issue recently with my Z series Exp. II. I took it to an AD is the Washington, DC area and they suggested it be sent to RSC as the watch was under warranty. They sent it in for me, although I didn't purchase from them, and I had it back from RSC within two weeks.
walds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 06:29 AM   #8
Geoff
"TRF" Member

I may not have been clear in my post. I thought the AD was going to send the watch to RSC in NY. They said the work is done in PA. They sent it in; I didn't. All I know is that I had the watch back within two weeks - in the Rolex service division box, an explanation of the work done, a nice new polishing cloth and winding instructions. I'm not sure what happens to walk-ins at Rolex NY given this experience.
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 10:38 AM   #9
Serenty03
Banned

Re Sub Date

Hey S2000:
Did you buy it here in CT?
Serenty03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 11:45 AM   #10
supermarz
"TRF" Member

i never had to do it since my ym is new. but in 5 or so years when i had to take it ro RSC, i definitely will take it in person.
lucky an RSC here in melbourne is only 20 minutes drive from my house
supermarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 12:00 PM   #11
S2000 Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Datum ß
Thank you for your comments and recommendations.

I will personally take my Sub Date to the NYC RSC when the time comes for a major service.

Do you know if an appointment has to be made in advance for this or can you just walk in off the street during normal business hours and drop it off?
Old 31 July 2007, 12:34 PM   #12
triton
"TRF" Member

after reading about lost in transist story, why would anyone want to consider mail in.

if it is a under 500, i would consider. bearing in mind that most of us have an affection with each of our time piece and im sure we all have a story to tell as well. even if it was covered under warranty, there is no way it can compensate with another time piece through insurance.

with such an expensive watch, i rather go in person even if it is slightly more consuming.
triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 01:35 PM   #13
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
I would walk it in and avoid the headaches and thoughts of "did my watch arrive safely?".
Old 31 July 2007, 07:30 PM   #14
walds11
"TRF" Member

USPS Registered Insured...no worries.
Old 31 July 2007, 09:17 PM   #15
blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ, DD, SUB
I've been concidering sending in my DJ, only because of it's age and I know it's overdue for service, but for me, walk in is not a option.
I think bringing it to my AD and letting them send it in sounds like the best bet. That way , if it gets lost or damaged, I will have someone local to lean on.
Now, how do I justify spending $500.- on a watch that works perfectly?
TT Blue Sub Date 116613LB (Random, 2018?)
blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 09:41 PM   #16
walds11
"TRF" Member

Having your AD send it out is a good idea. I don't have a relationship with an AD, so I would send it to the NY RSC myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueface View Post
I've been concidering sending in my DJ, only because of it's age and I know it's overdue for service, but for me, walk in is not a option.
I think bringing it to my AD and letting them send it in sounds like the best bet. That way , if it gets lost or damaged, I will have someone local to lean on.
Now, how do I justify spending $500.- on a watch that works perfectly?