The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 30 November 2011, 06:56 AM   #31
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp3tiger View Post
Well, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the person that gave it to me, since he's about 90. The backstory, of which I'm pretty sure he's not lying, made it believable enough that it shouldn't have been fake.

That's alright though, instead of selling the watch for a lot of money like I planned on doing if it was real, I guess I'll pay for the big screen tv and lazy-boy the old fashioned way...by earning it.

I'm not sure what to do with this thing now. Maybe I'll wear it to start getting the feel for a watch again, and move myself up to the good stuff later on.
That makes no sense. If you don't think he knew it's fake, then he was ripped off... Someone is out several thousand dollars so if your story is legit, you would tell your "friend" that you confirmed it's fake and whether he knew it. But then again, if he had a relationship with Rolex, as you stated in a previous post, he would have been able to get it authenticated. So bottom line is either he was ripped off or he's a liar

This reminds me of the typical eBay story of those selling fakes. They almost always start off with "I got this as a gift but it didn't come with box and papers...blah blah blah"
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2011, 07:04 AM   #32
herbalt
"TRF" Member

It's a troll post. He knows it's fake and wants to ascertain how good or bad of a replica it is.
herbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2011, 07:14 AM   #33
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
ibtl

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2011, 07:33 AM   #34
sp3tiger
"TRF" Member

Yep, you got me. I wasted all this time registering on a site I've never visited and acting like I'm clueless just to find out if I could sell a fake watch like it's real. I'm really happy I've learned as much about detecting a counterfeit Rolex as I have because that's sure to get me far, but I digress...

A simple explanation of the backstory is that I received this from my grandfather-in-law who was given this watch from someone in the France family (higher-ups in the International Speedway Corp, owners of the Daytona track, amongst others). Since my grandfather-in-law is nearly 90, I'm guessing he may have forgotten a few details of how he actually obtained this watch or the person that gave it to him wasn't forthcoming about the actual authenticity of the watch.

So with the knowledge I had when I received the watch, I had no reason to believe it was fake. I'll be going to the person's house that originally gave my grandfather the watch next month, so maybe I'll wear it there to see if they notice.
sp3tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2011, 10:24 AM   #35
wdalew5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,omega,casio
i will give you .26 cents for it. I want film myself as i toss it through a wood chipper. I will even post the pics of my chipper blades eating this for lunch
Old 30 November 2011, 11:26 AM   #36
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, thanks for the responses. It was given to me as a gift from a person that has a vendor-type relationship with Rolex. I'm surprised by the responses because of this. Oh well, if it's too good to be true...
So you are saying that you were given the watch by someone that is a Rolex authorised service provider or an AD because those are the only two types of vendor relationships that are possible with Rolex.

Sounds like a "story".
MoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2011, 01:01 PM   #37
Richmond1958
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Respectfully, I think some of you guys are being pretty hard on sp3tiger. He sounds like a guy that is inexperienced with Rolex and came here to ask a question. The back story sounds plausible to me (it is pretty unique).

BTW, I think a vendor would be the opposite of a dealer in that it would be someone who would sell goods or services to Rolex or have another type of commercial relationship. And what we dont know here is who knew it was fake ... the guy who gave it to grandpa, grandpa, neither, or sp3tiger (by virtue of this thread).

Just would hate to see someone who took the time and effort to post here just get shot down, especially if its someone who has enough interest in the brand to maybe get a real one someday.
Richmond1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2011, 01:26 PM   #38
jwkunkle
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Next One
Quote:
Since I had made an appointment with the AD already, I took it over there for his opinion. He was nice enough to pull off the band and check the numbers and he said there was no doubt it's fake.

He may have been just trying to be nice, but he did say it was a pretty good replica. So, hooray for tiny victories!
What part of it is a tiny victory? That it was a "pretty good replica"? This doesn't pass the smell test.
jwkunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2011, 01:55 PM   #39
Methos
"TRF" Member

I'm curious as to why you would say it is worthless if people will knowingly spend 100-400 USD on high quality fakes? It certainly has a value to some people.
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2011, 07:25 PM   #40
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
The AD would surely compliment your fake Rolex.

Oh wait.... NOT!
Old 2 December 2011, 01:13 AM   #41
Richmond1958
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
The AD would surely compliment your fake Rolex.

Oh wait.... NOT!
Sure he would, if you are a new customer coming in to ask an honest question about the authenticity of a watch. Why alienate a possible future customer by demeaning an item he brought in to the store for evaluation?

Whether it is a good knock-off or not is a separate question (maybe the dealer was fudging a bit to be friendly to the customer), but you dont want a customer leaving a store with a negative impression. That's just bad business.
Old 2 December 2011, 01:25 AM   #42
Roley
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Roley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2011, 01:31 AM   #43
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond1958 View Post
Sure he would, if you are a new customer coming in to ask an honest question about the authenticity of a watch. Why alienate a possible future customer by demeaning an item he brought in to the store for evaluation?

Whether it is a good knock-off or not is a separate question (maybe the dealer was fudging a bit to be friendly to the customer), but you dont want a customer leaving a store with a negative impression. That's just bad business.
Dont confuse the staff's pleasantness to your face as being genuine. You are not a customer or potential customer. You are the antithesis of it. Whether you bought it or received it as a gift, you are contributing to a counterfeit business that costs brands like Rolex millions of dollars per year. You can bet your bottom dollar that they will all be snickering at you amongst themselves for wearing a fake.

If you don't believe me, walk into a Louis Vuitton or Chanel with a fake. They will make sure you know it's a fake without anyone telling you.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2011, 01:48 AM   #44
Richmond1958
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
Dont confuse the staff's pleasantness to your face as being genuine. You are not a customer or potential customer. You are the antithesis of it. Whether you bought it or received it as a gift, you are contributing to a counterfeit business that costs brands like Rolex millions of dollars per year. You can bet your bottom dollar that they will all be snickering at you amongst themselves for wearing a fake.

If you don't believe me, walk into a Louis Vuitton or Chanel with a fake. They will make sure you know it's a fake without anyone telling you.
I agree, and I bet Rolex dealers get a lot of these sorts of inquiries, and it must be a pain in the backside being nice all the time. I would just respectfully assert that a customer (versus somebody trying to sell or re-sell the watch) that takes the time to come in has enough interest in the brand to want to check things out. It may be aspirational for sp3tiger, at best, but I was just commenting on the posts that claimed sp3tiger wasn't credible because the dealer was nice to him.
Old 2 December 2011, 07:39 AM   #45
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos View Post
I'm curious as to why you would say it is worthless if people will knowingly spend 100-400 USD on high quality fakes? It certainly has a value to some people.
Y`all need to read the forum rules!!!!
MoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2011, 08:04 AM   #46
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD 116660
Quote:
Well, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the person that gave it to me, since he's about 90. The backstory, of which I'm pretty sure he's not lying, made it believable enough that it shouldn't have been fake.

That's alright though, instead of selling the watch for a lot of money like I planned on doing if it was real, I guess I'll pay for the big screen tv and lazy-boy the old fashioned way...by earning it.

I'm not sure what to do with this thing now. Maybe I'll wear it to start getting the feel for a watch again, and move myself up to the good stuff later on.
So you were going to sell a gift from a 90 year old friend for some stereo and tv equipment?... Nice. Like I said before this is fishy.

Rolex: DSSD 116660, 16622 PLATTY
T-Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2011, 08:05 AM   #47
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD 116660
What you should do with it is trash it.

Rolex: DSSD 116660, 16622 PLATTY
T-Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2011, 08:53 AM   #48
BH13GMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn
You can always take it to the AD in time to get the batteries replaced

Rolex Sub 1680, Rolex GMT 116710LN, Rolex Datejust 16220 Salmon Dial (the Mrs), Tudor BB58, Tudor Pelagos Blue and Several Seiko's
"last one in the chopper is a rotten egg" Jonathan Quayle Higgins III
BH13GMT is offline   Reply With Quote