The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 13 May 2012, 08:23 PM   #1
bamseladin
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Icon20 What about The PAM 72 -(whith the steel/titanium bracelet)?

Hi everyone! The PAM 74, is a nice watch. But i have found, a PAM 72, (Limited edition to only 1500 peaces... including a zenith el primero movement)..., and I have falling in love, whith this PAM-watch.

My qustion, to all of you PAM/Rolex-fans: Should i trade my Rolex Deepsea, against the PAM 72 (whith a steel/titanium-bracelet)?!

PS. The only negative thing, i can find - about this watch - is the size (40 mm).

I hope to hear, from you soon...?!

Best regards John!
bamseladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2012, 10:20 PM   #2
dimitros
"TRF" Member

Watch: NDSub/PAM176/R1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamseladin View Post
Hi everyone! The PAM 74, is a nice watch. But i have found, a PAM 72, (Limited edition to only 1500 peaces... including a zenith el primero movement)..., and I have falling in love, whith this PAM-watch.

My qustion, to all of you PAM/Rolex-fans: Should i trade my Rolex Deepsea, against the PAM 72 (whith a steel/titanium-bracelet)?!

PS. The only negative thing, i can find - about this watch - is the size (40 mm).

I hope to hear, from you soon...?!

Best regards John!
Sporty Rolexs look best on metal bracelets, ok on NATO straps depending on model and IMO, not so great on leather.

In general, pams look best on leather straps. But if it sings to you buy it! If you are ever considering resale, for panerai, the more base the better and 44 mm is better than 40. Good luck with your hunt!
dimitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2012, 11:46 PM   #3
mfer
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't...
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2012, 11:58 PM   #4
watchdaddy1
Banned

Watch: strap whore
Not for Moi
watchdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2012, 12:14 AM   #5
dimitros
"TRF" Member

Dont trade.

Deepsea will have way better resale than the PAM you are looking at. Save and get a gently loved PAM, limited production or not...
Old 15 May 2012, 06:24 AM   #6
bamseladin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitros View Post
Dont trade.

Deepsea will have way better resale than the PAM you are looking at. Save and get a gently loved PAM, limited production or not...
ok, but why cant i get this PAM- out of my head? Really, must be sick, or something- but dreamed about this watch, yesterday?!

On chrono24 they asking 8000 dollars for it. I can buy it for around 7000 dollars?!

Better to buy it, then trade it?!

Just love the combo, of steel/titanium braclet, i dont no why?!

best regards John
Old 15 May 2012, 06:35 AM   #7
psv
2024 Pledge Member

Johan,

you need to sober up. The PAM72 is not a sought after number, partly because of the odd mix between titanium and stainless steel; partly because Panerai watches on bracelets are never really successful; and lastly because this model is a 40mm watch instead of the 'normal' 44mm. Years from now, you'll take a financial bath on that PAM72 is you go that route.

I can fully understand that you perhaps getting tired off the DSSD but I for one would never give it up for a Panerai 72.

Best of luck!
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2012, 07:28 AM   #8
bamseladin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Johan,

you need to sober up. The PAM72 is not a sought after number, partly because of the odd mix between titanium and stainless steel; partly because Panerai watches on bracelets are never really successful; and lastly because this model is a 40mm watch instead of the 'normal' 44mm. Years from now, you'll take a financial bath on that PAM72 is you go that route.

I can fully understand that you perhaps getting tired off the DSSD but I for one would never give it up for a Panerai 72.

Best of luck!
I think your right, i have been smoking, to many "joints"...

Really, i dont wanna trade, my deepsea - against the PAM 72, i understand what your saying.

But how about buying the watch? This will be, my first PAM-watch - so thats why my OCD- has made this watch - "a must have - or else i will die" - kind of thinking?!

i have a dayotona, so this PAM72, is the same size?! And the seller says, it feels more like a Omega Planet Ocean 42 mm?

If you think, should not buy this PAM-watch... please give me some ideas of 44 mm PAM-watches, limited or not - that would be, a perfect choise of PAM-watch, to take my "virginity"?"

best regards

John
Old 15 May 2012, 08:29 AM   #9
psv
2024 Pledge Member

Well, it doesn't really matter how it feels or if it wears bigger. It will never be a model that is counted as a "real" Panerai because that brand is all about the size. They are not meant to smaller and comfortable like your Daytona. Sure, if you really like that size, then by all means, buy and enjoy it, but you will take a bath on it financially speaking. It just not they way I would spend my money.

If it is your first Panerai and you are not addicted to the brand yet, by all means, start with a minty used one. Actually most used Panerais are mint because owners tend to have a couple of them and most models don't get that much mileage. I'd take a look at a PAM 111, 112 or the 176, 177 (love the Ti) to start with. Try a couple of straps and have fun. If it sticks to you, then you can always get something bigger, more significant, get into pre-V vintage etc.

Panerai is about simplicity. Buying a 40mm Panerai with crazy zig-zag of two different metals, that on top of it is a chronograph with a Zenith movement doesn't speak to the core of the brand IMO.

Best of luck!
Old 15 May 2012, 10:42 AM   #10
bamseladin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Well, it doesn't really matter how it feels or if it wears bigger. It will never be a model that is counted as a "real" Panerai because that brand is all about the size. They are not meant to smaller and comfortable like your Daytona. Sure, if you really like that size, then by all means, buy and enjoy it, but you will take a bath on it financially speaking. It just not they way I would spend my money.

If it is your first Panerai and you are not addicted to the brand yet, by all means, start with a minty used one. Actually most used Panerais are mint because owners tend to have a couple of them and most models don't get that much mileage. I'd take a look at a PAM 111, 112 or the 176, 177 (love the Ti) to start with. Try a couple of straps and have fun. If it sticks to you, then you can always get something bigger, more significant, get into pre-V vintage etc.

Panerai is about simplicity. Buying a 40mm Panerai with crazy zig-zag of two different metals, that on top of it is a chronograph with a Zenith movement doesn't speak to the core of the brand IMO.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the respond!

This PAM 72, is not my first choise of a PAM-watch. The Numero Uno -PAM-watch, i found. was the PAM 307. A stupid qustion, but i ask anyway: should i buy the PAM 72 impulsive?! -, or go For the "entitled worthy" PAM 307?!

best regards John
Old 15 May 2012, 10:48 AM   #11
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the respond!

This PAM 72, is not my first choise of a PAM-watch. The Numero Uno -PAM-watch, i found. was the PAM 307. A stupid qustion, but i ask anyway: should i buy the PAM 72 impulsive?! -, or go For the "entitled worthy" PAM 307?!

best regards John
Really??? You go from one of the smallest Panerai to one of the largest. I wouldn't buy the 307 either. I don't like batteries in my watches, even if not for time.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2012, 11:19 AM   #12
rulessapt
"TRF" Member

Watch: u c
If you feel the need to go smaller, then try one of the 42mm range, the 337 or 338.

As far as a Zenith movement in some of the earlier watches is concerned, I beg to differ on the comment by psv.

Panerai always outsourced their movements. Zenith movements used in Panerais are some of the best quality movements out there, certainly better than the ETA/Valjoux/Unitas that started when the watches became popular.
The JLC, Zenith and Minerva movements used in Panerais have always commanded a premium on the second hand market.

The 40 mm sixe though, it just doesn't seem to cut the mustard with the cognoscenti.
The 42mm, with the right movement, does command a premium, today and tomorrow. Not as quick to sell, but then some people prefer their cake without icing.

cheers
richard
rulessapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2012, 11:38 AM   #13
psv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulessapt View Post
If you feel the need to go smaller, then try one of the 42mm range, the 337 or 338.

As far as a Zenith movement in some of the earlier watches is concerned, I beg to differ on the comment by psv.

Panerai always outsourced their movements. Zenith movements used in Panerais are some of the best quality movements out there, certainly better than the ETA/Valjoux/Unitas that started when the watches became popular.
The JLC, Zenith and Minerva movements used in Panerais have always commanded a premium on the second hand market.

The 40 mm sixe though, it just doesn't seem to cut the mustard with the cognoscenti.
The 42mm, with the right movement, does command a premium, today and tomorrow. Not as quick to sell, but then some people prefer their cake without icing.

cheers
richard
Yeah, critique wasn't really for the use of Zenith movement per se rather the rest of the attributes.

To the OP: 307 is not my fav either. Perhaps a 243 for be a happy medium then?
Old 15 May 2012, 11:54 AM   #14
rulessapt
"TRF" Member

I had a chance to buy aa 121 last year, which is similar to the 74. It was the real deal, cheap too, but the 40mm chrono thing, well, it's been done by everyone else and it isn't in the PAM feeling of things, in my opinion. Rare to be sure, but it doesn't guarantee value or an easy sell in the market place.

Worst thing that can happen is you buy the 74, love it for a while, see something else, get the kick and punt the 74 onto someone else, perhaps at a loss, which, in the grand scheme of things is what usually happens with this hobby.
I've never looked at it (watch collecting) as an investment simply, experience and pleasure. Not to mention the friends you make along the way.

cheers
richard
Old 15 May 2012, 12:18 PM   #15
bamseladin
Banned

Quote:
I had a chance to buy aa 121 last year, which is similar to the 74. It was the real deal, cheap too, but the 40mm chrono thing, well, it's been done by everyone else and it isn't in the PAM feeling of things, in my opinion. Rare to be sure, but it doesn't guarantee value or an easy sell in the market place.

Worst thing that can happen is you buy the 74, love it for a while, see something else, get the kick and punt the 74 onto someone else, perhaps at a loss, which, in the grand scheme of things is what usually happens with this hobby.
I've never looked at it (watch collecting) as an investment simply, experience and pleasure. Not to mention the friends you make along the way.

cheers
richard
This watch is a PAM 72/74. It was sold as a PAM 72, whith the "cool" steel/titnium braclet - incuding a PAM- rubberstrap + the same strap that the PAM 74 has got! If you have seen the movie - "Transporter" whish Jason Statham had on his arm.

If i buy this watch, the goal is not to put in a safebox - or trade/sell it later on. I find this watch, very rare, because its a combo of both ugly and beautiful - in the same time...A little bit like SHREK (PAM 72/74)...

One more thing: I have a Rolex Daytona (whith the same zenith-movement as the PAM72/74, have got)!

Im not looking for love - just wanna have a "friends whith an advantageously to deside your own choise, even if you have to take the chanse - i dont mind where my destiny will take me - amen!

best regards

Johnny B Good!
Old 15 May 2012, 03:29 PM   #16
rulessapt
"TRF" Member

Go with your heart, if you went with your head you'd wear a Swatch.

Did I really say that?

Go for it John, what feels good is the way to go. No way though would I trade a Deepsea for it, ever.

cheers
richard
Old 16 May 2012, 09:36 AM   #17
bamseladin
Banned

Quote:
Go with your heart, if you went with your head you'd wear a Swatch.

Did I really say that?

Go for it John, what feels good is the way to go. No way though would I trade a Deepsea for it, ever.

cheers
richard
I dont have a heart, and my brain is to crazy - to deside, the simple question: To be, Or Not To Be, thats the question?!

either i go to jail - or get the watch - no question asked, or am i?!

PS. All of you watch-freaks : Have a nice day, or night - whenever - or wherever you may be!
Old 16 May 2012, 09:53 AM   #18
dimitros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I dont have a heart, and my brain is to crazy - to deside, the simple question: To be, Or Not To Be, thats the question?!

either i go to jail - or get the watch - no question asked, or am i?!

PS. All of you watch-freaks : Have a nice day, or night - whenever - or wherever you may be!
Don't let us tell you what to do. Go with your heart! If the 72 is singing to you buy it! You only live once. Its your wrist, its your money, its your happiness!
But just don't trade the DSSD, you might regret it. Save up and buy the 72 for a discount.
Old 16 May 2012, 10:18 AM   #19
bamseladin
Banned

Quote:
Don't let us tell you what to do. Go with your heart! If the 72 is singing to you buy it! You only live once. Its your wrist, its your money, its your happiness!
But just don't trade the DSSD, you might regret it. Save up and buy the 72 for a discount.
Sir Yes Sir! Thanks for the tips; i will keep the DSSD, and buy the PAM 72, instead!

On chrono24 a PAM 72 retals for around 8000 dollars?!

How much, is it "really" worth?!

Let say, that you were me, and had this OCD- crazyness about this PAM 72 watch. How musch would you payed, for this watch, for real?

best regards John

Ps. Get To The Chopper!
Old 16 May 2012, 10:25 AM   #20
dimitros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sir Yes Sir! Thanks for the tips; i will keep the DSSD, and buy the PAM 72, instead!

On chrono24 a PAM 72 retals for around 8000 dollars?!

How much, is it "really" worth?!

Let say, that you were me, and had this OCD- crazyness about this PAM 72 watch. How musch would you payed, for this watch, for real?

best regards John

Ps. Get To The Chopper!
If you ever had to sell, the resale would be terrible. You would take a loss. If you are okay with the idea of Gray market, look for a BNIB or LNIB for $6500
us from TRF. If you buy used, would you still have to pay the VAT? I don't know about Sweden, but VAT rate when visiting Denmark was hard for me to swallow, of course for that you get birth to grave safety net, university education for all, healthcare for all, pension for all, generous maternity/paternity leave... but thats a different topic, no?
Best,
Dimitros
Old 16 May 2012, 12:04 PM   #21
bamseladin
Banned

Quote:
If you ever had to sell, the resale would be terrible. You would take a loss. If you are okay with the idea of Gray market, look for a BNIB or LNIB for $6500
us from TRF. If you buy used, would you still have to pay the VAT? I don't know about Sweden, but VAT rate when visiting Denmark was hard for me to swallow, of course for that you get birth to grave safety net, university education for all, healthcare for all, pension for all, generous maternity/paternity leave... but thats a different topic, no?
Best,
Dimitros
Your right about what you say, in person... but your faith, has a lack of utopian sense, or does it?!

I may be a true pragmatists; a narzisist whith or whithout a black@white mirror, if you get my drift?!

the reason why I chose The PAM 72 is simple to tell: first of all, the nr. 72 is my "lucky" nr 13?! secondly the "nickname" PAM, stands for PAMela Anderson(baywatch). I have been, and still is in love whith this, beautifule "freak".

Never mind, my fuzzy rhetoric.

OT. I have a godchild in India, who cares?! - it benefits my ego-mind, even if its a good deed, or not?!

Happy Birthday

John
Old 19 May 2012, 10:35 AM   #22
bamseladin
Banned

Quote:
Best,
Dimitros
Hi! Can you explane, what you meen? What does BNIB, or LNIB and VAT - meen?!

Im looking forward to hear from you soon!

best regards

John
Old 19 May 2012, 12:56 PM   #23
dimitros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi! Can you explane, what you meen? What does BNIB, or LNIB and VAT - meen?!

Im looking forward to hear from you soon!

best regards

John
Brand New in Box, Like new in box...
"Value added" tax....
Old 19 May 2012, 04:47 PM   #24
bamseladin
Banned

Quote:
Brand New in Box, Like new in box...
"Value added" tax....
Ok, thanks - now i know! This PAM 72, is LNIB, and is complete - whith a pam-rubberstrap + a leatherstrap-also included.

I think that 7000 dollars, is a reasonble price, (because, the watch, is in sweden... so i dont have to pay any tax), dont you think?!

If im, that stupid, to trade my Rolex DSSD, against this PAM 72, should it be an even trade - or should i get some money- in-between?!

Best regards John
Old 22 May 2012, 10:00 AM   #25
bamseladin
Banned

tried the PAM72 on, and i did not like it - too small! Im going for a PAM 236 daylight instead.
Old 22 May 2012, 11:46 AM   #26
dimitros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok, thanks - now i know! This PAM 72, is LNIB, and is complete - whith a pam-rubberstrap + a leatherstrap-also included.

I think that 7000 dollars, is a reasonble price, (because, the watch, is in sweden... so i dont have to pay any tax), dont you think?!

If im, that stupid, to trade my Rolex DSSD, against this PAM 72, should it be an even trade - or should i get some money- in-between?!

Best regards John
No don't trade. If you trade, you should get some money also...
Old 22 May 2012, 12:11 PM   #27
bamseladin
Banned

Quote:
No don't trade. If you trade, you should get some money also...
I did not trade, lucky me. even if the watch, was a hall lot differant, from a regular, rolex-watch, i felt it was to small. Im going for a pam 236 daylight, insteed. Its 44 mm, and i will get the "new" special blue-dial to it, also.

that must be a better choise, of a "first" time Panerai-watch?!

best regards John
Old 15 June 2012, 02:03 PM   #28
bamseladin
Banned

Really, i want some help, from you PAM-lovers: I tried the PAM72, and i had trade my Rolex DSSD, against it, if the braclet had fit my wrist - but it was to small, so i desided not to trade. My question is: I still want the PAM72, watch - should i buy the watch, instead of trading it?! I can buy it for around 5000 euro, is it a good price?!

Im looking more towards a PAM daylight-watch. Limited to 500 pieces, and change the dial, towards the new, blue dial?!

Any thoughts, or comments are welcome?!

best regards John