The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 16 August 2012, 02:39 AM   #1
sbessel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 116613LN
Icon9 Breitling service issues?

<venting>

I picked up my Skyracer Raven back in February of this year, as noted in this post.

I find out later that it was sent in for basic service December of 2011, then another basic service February of 2012 (by the AD, info here) and then again in August 2012 (by me) All to the main service center in Wilton, CT.

When I had the AD send it in on February it was due to it running fast, 10-15 seconds per day, and the clasp on the band was broken. When returned it was still running fast, but the band was fixed and all else was well. I decided to keep it and let it run for a while.
Going through the dealer took an extra 4 weeks.

Jump ahead to July and it is still running fast, but now there is a chunk of red paint missing on the chronograph second hand. There is nothing I could have done to the watch to cause that. I hate to lose it, but I can't take the missing paint. I send it in myself, at the cost of over $60 (insurance is killer) It only took 4 weeks total.

I just got it back yesterday and it will not run longer than 5 minutes. I am so disappointed and frustrated. I can also hear the weight inside moving when I move the watch, I never heard this before. I have tried everything to keep it running, I wound it well but it just keep stopping and it takes a good 'smack' to get it running again. Not something I would expect from a Breitling, worse a newly serviced Breitling. I wonder how it left the service center like that.

It would seem that all they have done each and every time is a basic service, now it would appear it needs more. I called Breitling service and they said they would take care of it, send me a call tag and probably do a full-service this time. I told them anything less would be unacceptable to me. Should I be asking for more, something specific? I would think they should know what to do, but clearly that is not the case.

I really do love this watch, the look, the weight, the shine, I have nothing else like it. But it is frustrating that it has spent more time in service than on my wrist.

</venting>

Rolex TT Sub, Black; Rolex Sub 50th; Breitling Skyracer Raven; Omega Seamaster 300m GMT; Breitling SuperOcean Heritage 46; Graham Chronofighter Commander, too many others to list...
sbessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2012, 03:59 AM   #2
ralpie
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

That is really frustrating! I had my own issues with them when I owned an Emergency, they told me that my case was dented and they'd have to fix it if I wanted the watch serviced. I insisted that there was no dent and eventually they said there had been a mix up.

Ask them if they can replace it with a brand new one. They likely will not, but after all that annoyance it is worth asking.
ralpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2012, 12:52 PM   #3
amblerdw
"TRF" Member

Watch: MB Selene FC
Ugh... I need to send in my M1 and not looking forward to missing it let alone the possible hassle.
amblerdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 06:15 AM   #4
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Sorry to hear about that.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 11:22 PM   #5
russellnyc
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear this.

I'd escalate to a manager as best you can to get some high level attention. I had a similar lemon when I bought my frecce tricolori, and eventually the dealer traded mine for his personal watch to make me go away.

Since, I have had generally good customer service from Wilton, but they have done at least a couple really dumb things, including polishing brushed bracelet links and then arguing with me that they were originally polished (not true). I won the argument finally by showing them a picture in one of their own catalogue books, but I'll never get that metal back. The other thing they did was replace tritium hands with superluminova ones without asking me.
russellnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2012, 10:16 AM   #6
malik713
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 111
That seems excessive. Do watches have a "Lemon Law?"
malik713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2012, 06:23 PM   #7
jaybee2712
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Breitling service!!!!
Just had an estimate from an AD,direct from Breitling UK, to service my 816.
Now bearing in mind that it was fully working and keeping time the cost was intergalactically astronomical indeed. well over a thousand GBP, telling me that this was broken, that was broken etc. now i am very anxious to get it back to see if it still works?
NOT HAPPY WITH BREITLING!!. And it was going to take 52 weeks not including holidays to do! OUTRAGEOUS, makes you wonder what they would do if they really wanted to upset someone??
After some research ive found a repair service who are confident they can deliver the service i need. keep you posted!
jb
jaybee2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2012, 01:07 PM   #8
lavaman
Banned

Watch: what happens next
this is not filling me with confidence

and yes, as with most any consumer good, there is an implied warranty of merchantability with any product, e.g. that a watch should be able to tell time.

also you can look in the DTPA (deceptive trade practices act)
lavaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2012, 01:39 PM   #9
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
I had a B2, went to service and the dial came back scratched! I went crazy at the dealer and the repair centre. The watch was with Breilting 9 weeks because it had to go in twice, and that was only for a routine checkup. I asked for it to be polished, they did not do it. I m not a breitling after that ordeal anymore.
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2012, 01:58 PM   #10
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

I'm sorry about your bad experience. I recently send a Cosmonaute for service in the US and their service was prompt and of good quality.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2012, 02:01 PM   #11
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrés G View Post
I'm sorry about your bad experience. I recently send a Cosmonaute for service in the US and their service was prompt and of good quality.

Australian only repair centre in Queensland was horrible.
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2012, 04:49 PM   #12
cruvon
"TRF" Member

You could try Mark and Theresa Heist of Horological Services or Craig of Chronodeco, they are known to service vintage Breitlings but I think they also do modern ones. I have used Craigs services in the past and he did a great job on my triple date Datora 785 and a vintage Pierre Cardin with a JLC movement and is very reasonably priced too. Both repairers are in the US.

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2012, 10:16 PM   #13
CaptLeslie
"TRF" Member

I also will second the great service from Mark and Theresa Heist ! They restored my 806 and it has been running great! Service was on time and under estimate! Cheers Jim
CaptLeslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2012, 02:07 AM   #14
lavaman
Banned

is this their contact info?

http://www.horologicalservices.com/m...ng_service.htm
Old 27 August 2012, 10:34 AM   #15
patek.wis
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Sky
I have had to send Breitlings in far too often for service. I guess that's why I don't own one anymore
patek.wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2012, 03:43 PM   #16
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaman View Post
Yes that's correct, you could try this email addres too for Horological Services horological@dejazzd.com but maybe best give them a call before you do anything.

Craig's email is scbergsma@embarqmail.com website http://www.chronodeco.com/index.htm

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2012, 02:34 AM   #17
russellnyc
"TRF" Member

+1 on the Heists at Horological services, they serviced/restored my 7806 and did an excellent job.
russellnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 12:48 AM   #18
sbessel
"TRF" Member

So my Skyracer was returned to me yesterday. This time it was listed as having a 'Complete Service" all the other times it was a "Basic Service"

Good news is it is still running So we are better off than the last service.
They didn't do any polish or anything extra.

I have not had enough time to check it's timing. But at this point it is just nice to have it back.

The only complaint I have is the bezel doesn't seem to fit correctly. It appears to rattle a bit and you can hear/feel something click when turning it.

Well I am just glad to have it back, hopefully it will stay together this time.

The repair order did not say what was replaced, other than gaskets, but when I called the advisor told me they replaced the hands.

Thanks for the support

Rolex TT Sub, Black; Rolex Sub 50th; Breitling Skyracer Raven; Omega Seamaster 300m GMT; Breitling SuperOcean Heritage 46; Graham Chronofighter Commander, too many others to list...
Old 14 September 2012, 08:23 AM   #19
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Breitling replaces the hands with all services and charge extra. I don't understand why it's not included.

Old 15 September 2012, 02:24 AM   #20
sbessel
"TRF" Member

Well it has been a day and so far it is still running, it is keeping better time, no more gaining 10-20 seconds a day, and the hands have not fallen off.

I am now much further ahead than before. I am also happy once again, as I really love this watch it is so far different that any of my others.

And to answer MrBill's question - I wonder if they replace the hands every time because they get damaged on removal or if because they are press fit they may not fit as well the second time. The hands couldn't really cost Breitling anything, maybe a buck or two each? of course I am sure they charge a fortune for them.
just a thought.

All of my recent services have been no charge and under warranty, otherwise I am sure I would be much more upset.

thanks,

Old 15 September 2012, 02:58 AM   #21
Perrys Emporium
"TRF" Member

I have a few Breitling watches.
The last one I sent in for basic service. (sent it in every other year)
They hit me with a $900 estimate.
It is a lightly used Superocean.
They said there was a tiny nick in the edge of the crystal and about a dozen other things.
I told them I only wanted the basic service and they said I had to get everything or nothing!!!
Perrys Emporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2012, 11:22 AM   #22
streetracer101
"TRF" Member

I had a Steelfish serviced under warranty a couple months ago and all was fine. They did not do anything extra (I hoped they would clean the case up), but it came back running great. Later, I was disappointed when I asked for an estimate on a replacement crystal for a Seawolf. They quoted me over $500. I thought $500 for a replacement crystal was excessive and sold the watch. It is sad that I can send a watch to Germany (a Sinn), have gas or oil changed, a new crystal as well as a service and return shipping for about the same as it costs to get a replacement crystal from Breitling here in the US. Needless to say I no longer own any Breits. If I were to buy another, it would be an older model with a standard movement that I could have serviced by an independent watch maker.
streetracer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2012, 11:13 AM   #23
lavaman
Banned

just got mine back from Horlogical services. it just needed a tiny adjustment, even after 12 years without a major service. said it was well within tolerances and they kept it for several days to check it
Old 20 September 2012, 09:32 AM   #24
lavaman
Banned

Disregard last please remove and ignore.
Old 5 October 2012, 07:51 AM   #25
ismelllikepoop
Banned

posted my own thread and didnt notice this until after. I guess Im not the only one they are trying to hit up for random charges to pad the bill.
ismelllikepoop is offline   Reply With Quote