The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 November 2007, 04:49 AM   #31
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I would NEVER buy a watch via eBay. It is likes shoes: You have to try them on before you buy them.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2007, 04:53 AM   #32
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
If I bought used it would be from the original owner with evidence that if it's been serviced the service was completed by Rolex or their AD. I would not use ebay but might use TZ.
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2007, 04:57 AM   #33
dr_rolex

Watch: Cartier + Rolex
EXCELLENT opinion, Doctor Bo. One to be respected. You don't like the methodology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
I would NEVER buy a watch via eBay. It is likes shoes: You have to try them on before you buy them.

dr_rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2007, 05:09 AM   #34
mike
"TRF" Member

Well, I've never bought a watch off e-bay. Having said that I have bought watches via private sales. Some of the most knowledgeable and respected collectors and dealers in the the business have and do use e-bay. Some of these gentleman, quite honestly, know MORE about pre-owned and vintage Rolex than any AD I've ever met.
I'm sure an AD can tell me if a watch is correct. How many can tell me if a watch is ALL CORRECT for the era? Not all ADs are willing or equipped to open a watch. Not all watchmakers are familiar with all Rolex movements.
Those that I would deal with via an outlet like e-bay have much more to lose by selling me an incorrect watch than I do.

At the end of the day it really is all about doing your research and KNOWING who you're dealing with.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2007, 05:13 AM   #35
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Btw: Al "Alcan" is one of the members here who has had great success buying via eBay!

Old 25 November 2007, 05:17 AM   #36
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
My limit is $100 when buying on Ebay. I don't mind if I get ripped of for $100, anything more (like buying a watch) I'm not willing to risk it. If I found a $99 Rolex on Ebay, I still think I would pass on it.
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 25 November 2007, 05:42 AM   #37
ohsixx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Make a guess!
I have bought two Rolex on ebay. I am very satisfied with the watches and the transactions in general.

My purchases on ebay should not be of any concern to anyone else.
"Speedy Pro"
ohsixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2007, 06:04 AM   #38
dwaine99
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I didn't mind buying on Ebay because the jeweler has a walk in store in addition to Ebay sales..... all positive feedback too....
dwaine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2007, 06:08 AM   #39
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

I sold my Sub a few years ago on ebay as pictured below, with no issues, I have also purchased Rolex from Ebay. There are only one or two ebayers I would deal with however. I am aware ebayers have used some of John Holbrooks photos in the past in order to sell there watches. At the end of the day, do the research pay via paypal using a credit card, and take the chance.

Only sure way is from an AD brand new. I could of saved a lot of money going down the grey market or ebay route when I purchased my pride and joy SD the other week, nothing compares to the feeling of walking into the AD spending some time and walking out with a new purchase and complete peace of mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christmas 2005 018.jpg (79.4 KB, 78 views)
Old 25 November 2007, 06:13 AM   #40
ashu2289
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas,SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiVet View Post
Question.

How does EBay make money? Do they get a cut from any sale?
Yes. Ebay charges substantial fees when the item is being sold depending on the final price and also there are listing fees.

Everything becomes nothing after ROLEX
116520 SS Daytona White Dial
116520 SS Daytona Black Dial
116523 18K&SS Daytona Slate Dial
16600 Sea-Dweller
16710 GMT Master II Pepsi Bezel
16613 18K&SS Submariner Blue Dial
116660 Deepsea Sea-Dweller
ashu2289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2007, 06:45 AM   #41
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ

All from eBay. All 100% authentic Rolex. All pristine in every way. Nearly all with the accoutrement that normally accompany them (box, papers, etc.).

As Ed has eloquently stated in this thread, be careful, do your homework, know what you are looking for, ask questions of the seller, don't buy unless there is a solid return policy, and NEVER buy when the price is too low.
Old 25 November 2007, 06:49 AM   #42
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post

All from eBay. All 100% authentic Rolex. All pristine in every way. Nearly all with the accoutrement that normally accompany them (box, papers, etc.).

As Ed has eloquently stated in this thread, be careful, do your homework, know what you are looking for, ask questions of the seller, don't buy unless there is a solid return policy, and NEVER buy when the price is too low.
Beautiful collection, my friend....but then you've always been one helluva lucky tosser!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2007, 06:52 AM   #43
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

More tosser than lucky, I'd say!

Old 25 November 2007, 06:53 AM   #44
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Beautiful collection, my friend....but then you've always been one helluva lucky tosser!!!
Indeed! Thanks for the kind words, JJ. You're a fairly lucky stiff yourself, my friend!
Old 25 November 2007, 06:54 AM   #45
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
More tosser than lucky, I'd say!
So...who asked you anyway?!? It takes one to know one!
Old 25 November 2007, 06:55 AM   #46
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Indeed! Thanks for the kind words, JJ. You're a fairly lucky stiff yourself, my friend!
How many times do I have to tell you not to use that highlighted word at my age?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 25 November 2007, 06:56 AM   #47
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How many times do I have to tell you not to use that highlighted word at my age?
Oh right. Sorry - not dead yet, eh?
Old 25 November 2007, 06:57 AM   #48
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Oh right. Sorry - not dead yet, eh?
Errr.....I was meaning "stiff" as in another department!!

And that's how hijacks begin!!

Old 25 November 2007, 07:00 AM   #49
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Errr.....I was meaning "stiff" as in another department!!

And that's how hijacks begin!!
That's Paulie's area of expertise anyway, JJ. And as far as hijacks are concerned, the masters have not been as busy as in days of old. Good to see a sublime example of hijackery (and your own thread to boot!)...
Old 25 November 2007, 08:28 AM   #50
XELOR

Yes, that's the only way to know you didn't get a "bad" Rolex from online sites- documents from Rolex.

Many people think they didn't get taken but truly can't be sure.

Seeing a genuine movement, dial, etc... doesn't automatically mean you didn't buy a counterfeit/problem watch.

AD or watchmaker authentication is a great sign but not 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by areyes926 View Post
I bought 2 already from reputable ebay sellars and used Paypal/CC. I took brought them to BH RSC service center from service estimate this way you'll it 100% Rolex and not stolen.
XELOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2007, 08:54 AM   #51
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I agree with you JJ, it is worth paying a few dollars more for AD protection when buying a rolex - BUT. Take a GMT TT II for example. I bought mine new from the States and saved just under Aus$3000. The AD retail in Australia is $12700. If you can get a 5% - 10% discount from an AD in the States then yes, there is no real need to go Ebay or Grey but with the ridiculous AD prices in Australia there are some serious savings to be made if you are very, very careful.

Just MO.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2007, 09:07 AM   #52
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
I agree with Ed. I've purchased many things including watches on ebay and have been very satisfied. Gotta buy the seller. But it's still a risk.
JJ, your point is completely valid and makes total sense. Wish I could afford to purchase from an AD. If I did I'd have far fewer watches.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2007, 09:12 AM   #53
arttay10
"TRF" Member

Watch: ????????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
I agree with Ed. I've purchased many things including watches on ebay and have been very satisfied. Gotta buy the seller. But it's still a risk.
JJ, your point is completely valid and makes total sense. Wish I could afford to purchase from an AD. If I did I'd have far fewer watches.
dP
Well summed up Dan
arttay10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2007, 09:51 AM   #54
WES

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Hi guys,

I know that quite a few guys on TRF have explicit faith in ebay and have, infact, made several purchases off them.

The question is how can you be 100% sure of your purchase....and how far would you go to trust them?

Okay, okay, so the seller has a great feedback and is a genuine person. But how the hell would YOU know that the seller himself hasn't been duped?

I hate to admit and say this, but today's fakes are mind-blowingly good!!! I have to most grudgingly take my hat off to the master, bastid, craftsman who can come up with such a superb replica.

So what's the guarantee from ebay that you don't wind up with only a genuine movement and all else bogus...or possibly even vice versa?

I'm pretty convinced that an AD is the only way to 100% peace of mind and surity!!

JJ
Quote:
I still think it's worth spending the extra $$$ for 100% peace of mind....rather than harbour doubts about your beautiful acquisition for the rest of your life!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Well, I've never bought a watch off e-bay. Having said that I have bought watches via private sales. Some of the most knowledgeable and respected collectors and dealers in the the business have and do use e-bay. Some of these gentleman, quite honestly, know MORE about pre-owned and vintage Rolex than any AD I've ever met.
I'm sure an AD can tell me if a watch is correct. How many can tell me if a watch is ALL CORRECT for the era? Not all ADs are willing or equipped to open a watch. Not all watchmakers are familiar with all Rolex movements.
Those that I would deal with via an outlet like e-bay have much more to lose by selling me an incorrect watch than I do.

At the end of the day it really is all about doing your research and KNOWING who you're dealing with.
I have purchased all my Rolexes from an AD, with the exception of my wife's Rolex Zephyr which I bought on eBay.

First, my wife's had all the paperwork, certificate with matching serial number, hang tag with matching serial number, an invoice from RSCNY, stating they serviced the watch and had changed the dial from champagne (which was on the certificate) to silver, plus the box and booklets. I spoke to the seller on the phone at his store (which I looked up in yellow pages on line) and he explained he changed the dial because people that came into his store complained it was difficult to read with the gold dial and gold hands. And the frosting on the cake which made me comfortable buying it on line was it was a model you rarely see.The people that make fakes copy the popular and easily recognizable ones! As Mike said do your homework!

But as JJ said there are copies out there today that will scare you! They have swiss ETA movements, bracelets with all the markings, in all the correct places and I even saw a web site selling fakes with boxes and fake certificates! They will even go as far as sending you the watch through an escrow company so you can inspect the watch before releasing the money, they are that confident! A SS Sub is $850 a lot of money for a fake but a far cry from $5000 for a real one!

Today if you want to save a few bucks you have to do a lot of homework, find an AD that sells used ones or wait for JJ to do some "flippin"
WES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2007, 11:22 AM   #55
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
For me it is only the AD. I like new unused,untouched Rolex watches.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2007, 12:08 PM   #56
dwaine99
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
It's not a matter of trusting ebay. It's a matter of doing your homework and checking out the seller. If you do your homework, you will find there are plenty of legitimate dealers on the internet/ebay and some good deals to be had. When I bought my wife's datejust from Scott Mitchum, there were no red flags and 100% guarantee that I could return the watch...

I bought my wife's 3 stone diamond from a internet dealer in New Orleans.... the diamond was sent to me and I signed a contract to puchase at the Fed Ex office contingent on my approval... I had 7 days to send the diamond back or a personal check.... this gave me plenty of time for an appraisal... Pick a seller at random without doing your homework and you are taking a big chance....
dwaine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2007, 12:09 PM   #57
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
To date my eBay buying is 100% positive. Here are the Rolex watches I've sourced there, every one authenticated by Toronto RSC (I budget ~ $500 with each purchase for an overhaul).

My Sub.

Nancy's Cellini

My 1940 British military Rolex P.W. Let's see you find this one at your AD!

Nancy's vintage, currently at the Toronto RSC. Should be back in a week or so.

I've also found a dozen or so others, each unique in it's way. this English chain drive fusee is hallmarked to 1865.

This one still has the original caseback sticker from 1895

The basic Sub we bought for Nancy's son last week.

Is eBay a minefield? Of course it is. It's the perfect venue for thieves. Is it a source of items that would not otherwise be available? Absolutely. A savvy buyer can find great products such as Rolex watches at reasonable prices from honest sellers.

This isn't rocket science, kids. Here's how I do it.

1. Examine the pix

2. Look at the seller's feedback.

3. Examine the feedback. What has he sold recently, what has he bought recently.

4. When were the last feedbacks? Is this a hijacked account?

5. Probably most important, what level of activity does he have? 5 sales, forget it. 25 sales, I'll mark him as "favourite" and watch the account activity. 50+ sales, I'll take a harder look at the product.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2007, 05:29 PM   #58
T5AUS
Banned

Watch: ing the time go by
Quote:
Hi guys,

I know that quite a few guys on TRF have explicit faith in ebay and have, infact, made several purchases off them.

The question is how can you be 100% sure of your purchase....and how far would you go to trust them?

Okay, okay, so the seller has a great feedback and is a genuine person. But how the hell would YOU know that the seller himself hasn't been duped?

I hate to admit and say this, but today's fakes are mind-blowingly good!!! I have to most grudgingly take my hat off to the master, bastid, craftsman who can come up with such a superb replica.

So what's the guarantee from ebay that you don't wind up with only a genuine movement and all else bogus...or possibly even vice versa?

I'm pretty convinced that an AD is the only way to 100% peace of mind and surity!!

JJ

Whatever we do JJ there is a certain element of risk attached to it and the gamble for me on Ebay is worth the rewards, there's certainly a risk, but I like the odds and as long as you follow the form, your pretty safe, not 100% safe though (Sh*t, shouldn't have said that, my next Ebay buy is going to be a bummer I bet )
and I guess it's more suited to the vintage buyer than the new, dont think too many AD's do vintage as well?, could be wrong! Of course the real down side to ebay buying is the lack of eye candy that the privelaged AD buyer seems to get an ubundence of (perhaps this is more to the point JJ, got you worked out mate )
Each to their own though, whatever you feel comfortable with, never risk it if you feel uncertain, not worth the worry.
T5AUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2007, 05:56 PM   #59
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

How far would YOU trust ebay for a Rolex?

The answer to your question JJ is simple....

It's not eBay that you need to 'trust'...it's the Trader.

I have traded (bought and sold) watches on eBay for the past 3 years without a single problem.

My rules are simple....

I normally do my business INSIDE Australia.
I don't do business with traders who don't fulfill my requirements.
I have an honest approach when auctioning and have 100% feedback.

As far as Rolex watches go.....I believe if the auction is from a trader who you can trust... the likelihood of getting something that isn't right is negligible.
Other folks here will agree, there are some real bargains to be had.

Steve
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote