The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 November 2007, 02:53 AM   #1
laguna_surf

Watch: Rolex Submariner
tell me about my new LV

Hello Friends, I recently received a LV as a gift - my first Rolex. I've always enjoyed watches and been fascinated by the concept of time - the philosopher in me. Although I'm not one to covet a Rolex for the impression it may make (not necessarily a judgement, just my impression), I do admire craftsmanship and quality. I also like the concept that the founder of Rolex viewed the watch as symbol of achievement, not status. So a few questions for all you who are far more well versed in Rolex than I:

1. The LV is an anniversary model. However, the anniversary was in 2004 and according to the little bit I've discovered my watch was produced in 2007.

1a. Is this watch 'special' or just a regular production called 'anniversary'?

2. This sub is two weeks old and runs about 30 fast/week. I realize this is with in the COSC specs, but I also read there's a "break-in" period. What's process does the watch go through as it 'ages'.

Thanks my friends. Its fun to know there are so many others who appreciate time and timepieces.

Oh & by the way the Omega and the TAG look like they're going to be collecting a lot of dust - haven't even considered taking off this new sub!http://www.rolexforums.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
laguna_surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2007, 01:03 PM   #2
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
This topic would be best in the general Rolex forum, but I'll answer your questions.

The LV is a regular production even though the design commemorates the 50 year anniversary of the sub. As for it being special, that depends on who you ask and what your definition of special is. I think it is since they don't make as many as the standard subs.

As for break-in period, as long as it's in COSC then it's fine. Mine wasn't even after months of having it so I had the RSC regulate it.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2007, 02:43 PM   #3
vitacura
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the beautiful watch!
vitacura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2007, 11:34 AM   #4
Solar
"TRF" Member

Watch: their hands, baby.
The Sub LV is the anniversary model commemorating 50 years of Submariner.

People often confuse the designation "LV" as meaning "Limited Version" or somesuch. In fact, its a contraction for the French "Lunette Verte", or green bezel. Differences from the regular Sub date include:

1. Maxi dial; the hour indices are of a larger diameter;
2. The hour hand is thicker;
3. The latests "M" series has a chapter ring branding (CRB), in other words, the "rolexrolexrolex" that runs around the inside chapter ring.

People seem to either love or hate the green of the LV. I'm a fan, but the majority of people I've communicated with on this forum seem to prefer the classic Sub date with the black bezel insert.

Congrats on the new watch, all the nicer being a gift, what a wonderful spouse/family member you must have!

Wear it in good health,

Chris
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote