The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 29 September 2012, 05:01 AM   #1
KBM
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Super Avenger has taken in water! =(

Hello everyone,

I'm really bummed and would like your comments and knowledge on this.

Last night I decided to put my SA on a leather strap, and proceeded to remove the bracelet. When I did so, I noticed the watch was a bit dirty between the lugs, so I washed it with a bit of soap at the bathroom sink. Before doing this, I made completely sure the crown was fully screwed in. After the wash, I dried the watch with a towel AND some soft toilet paper. After this, I unscrewed the crown to wind the watch and set the right time and date. All went well and my SA looked terrific on leather.

This morning, however, after wearing the watch out in the sun, I noticed condensation underneath the crystal! Needless to say my heart sank. The condensation actually formed in the shape of the chronographs and hands. The only way I can imagine water may have gotten into the watch is when, AFTER drying the watch with a towel AND toilet paper, I unscrewed the crown to set the time and date. Has this ever happened to enyone? I already called the Breitling service center in Brazil, as I imagine I should send them the watch ASAP, since the humidity may rust/damage the movement or other parts inside the case, right? My watch is still under warranty, by the way, as I bought it about one year ago.

I would really appreciate some thoughts from you.

You can't really see the condensation in the picture (the marks on the crystal are fingerprints), but what is a thread without pictures, right...

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SA1.jpg (122.9 KB, 269 views)
KBM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Sorry to hear about that. I too would be unhappy.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2012, 04:31 PM   #3
jokb
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully sc would be able to remedy w/o charging an arm and a leg
jokb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2012, 05:47 PM   #4
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
I highly doubt that us how moisture got in to be honest. It could be something else

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 12:44 AM   #5
KBM

I'm having a hard time figuring it out too, to be honest. Someone suggested that I may have inadvertently pushed the chrono buttons while the watch was under running water from the sink. I can't recall that happening, but maybe it would make more sense than thinking water stayed somewhere in the case and got in when the crown was unscrewed. This drove me nuts, I'm always so careful with these things... and the watch is rated to a freaking 300m, for crying out loud.
Old 30 September 2012, 10:39 AM   #6
nrataul
"TRF" Member

Has happened to me with a Speedy, never ever exposed a non-diver watch to water again.
Definitely get it checked out, rust is bit of a stretch, and dont think water damage will be covered under warranty.
Good luck!
nrataul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2012, 05:45 AM   #7
KBM

Update:

I sent my watch to Breitling through an AD an got back a report stating that warranty will not cover the damages as water got into the watch because the crown was unscrewed. Now, from all of the possibilities we had already discussed here on this thread, I find it extremely bizarre that this was their conclusion. I could even live with the possibility of having accidentally pressed the chrono pushers while the watch was being washed, but I am absolutely certain (having double checked that before putting it under the sink) that the crown was firmly screwed in. Thus, the only way water could have gotten in through the crown being unscrewed is, after I washed and dried the watch (both with a towel and soft toilet paper), I unscrewed the crown to set the time and date. I am left with the answer, from Breitling, that somehow water remained somewhere in the watch in a way that, upon unscrewing the crown, having dried the damn thing, it got into the case

The cost of repair is $650.
Old 24 October 2012, 07:57 AM   #8
1Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea Blue
Not the best resolution from Breitling but the $650 will bring you peace of mind that your watch is now perfect and you can stop worrying. Could have been worse, such as dropping the watch on the floor, etc. Time to enjoy it...
1Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2012, 09:01 AM   #9
brkanand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 4=YMDaytonaGMTHulk
$650/- is steep. But then you get it back in mint condition once again. I doubt if you wash your Brietling ever again.
brkanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2012, 11:08 AM   #10
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkanand View Post
$650/- is steep. But then you get it back in mint condition once again. I doubt if you wash your Brietling ever again.
That has got to be the most expensive bath I've ever heard of... what really drives me nuts is that this watch is rated to 300m, for crying out loud!
Old 24 October 2012, 11:09 AM   #11
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Daytona View Post
Not the best resolution from Breitling but the $650 will bring you peace of mind that your watch is now perfect and you can stop worrying. Could have been worse, such as dropping the watch on the floor, etc. Time to enjoy it...
Yes, I'll just go ahead with the proposed service and put this behind me.
Old 24 October 2012, 01:27 PM   #12
sgt1255
"TRF" Member

What you could have done was remove the case back and let the movement air out to dry. I did that once with a cheaper dive watch that I accidentally left the crown unscrewed. It worked like a charm for me.

Good Day
Ken
Old 24 October 2012, 09:47 PM   #13
Brisman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1255 View Post
What you could have done was remove the case back and let the movement air out to dry. I did that once with a cheaper dive watch that I accidentally left the crown unscrewed. It worked like a charm for me.

Good Day
Ken
IMO this is bad advice for a watch that is still under warranty for another couple of years.

Donald
Brisman is offline   Reply With Quote