The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 December 2007, 11:22 AM   #1
cmiller
"TRF" Member

Question on "gray" listed sellers

Hey all, I'm curious as a follow up to a question about buying a 18K/TT Lady Datejust Black MOP/diamond dial with fluted bezel off Ebay from a "gray" listed seller, who has a great reputation on the net . I'd like to get this watch for my wife for Christmas butmy local AD can only offer it at $9400 OTD and this one on Ebay is $7785 shipped. So how are "gray" listed sellers able to offer brand new watches for thousands less, in this case $ 2000 off list price, than an AD especially when I thought Rolex was very strict on pricing? Is the markup that much with an AD?. And are there any problems registering a watch with Rolex that's not bought from an AD? Any comments or opinions would be great!

Thanks!
cmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2007, 11:43 AM   #2
progolferv1
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTc
I thought about buying one on ebay to save some money, but i figured that I was buying a expense watch. It made me nervous that I was going to spend so much on something, but if something went wrong who would I turn to....a email address. It is nice to walk into a AD and know that they will take care of you. After 4 years my Ad still will clean it for nothing and take care of my needs.... that alone is worth the extra money.
progolferv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2007, 11:47 AM   #3
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
All grays get them in different ways so ask them directly. The gray I bought mine from buys in bulk from AD's in Asia and resells here.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2007, 11:48 AM   #4
Operator

I am not an expert but I know of two different friends who got e-screwed on ebay. Ebay did nothing and they were out of luck. Be careful maybe fly out to the dealer to inspect the watch yourself or have the dealer walk the watch to a Rolex dealer with you for inspection. Good luck to you.
Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2007, 12:35 PM   #5
rogerfromco
Banned

I saved 23% on a sea dweller on e-bay. Not sure where they get them, but mine came with open papers in mint condition from a person who sells a lot of high end watches on e-bay. I took it to a local AD and had it authenticated when it arrived. The best advice repeated here often is Buy The Seller, Then The Watch.
rogerfromco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2007, 12:48 PM   #6
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
eBay is fraught with fakes.

An odd bit of advice is to study the fake (or replica) sites and see what they are offering. When you study those watches you'll pick up on the fakes a little easier. Though you do have to find a replica site that uses pictures of the actual fakes that they are selling and not pictures of legitimate Rolexes that they steal .

A watch like the Daytona with it's many features is one that illustrates my point best. A fake Daytona really sticks out.

I also find it VERY odd if an ebay seller has an account that is 4, 6 or even 8 years old and they have less than 20 feedbacks. To me that's a big warning sign.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2007, 01:04 PM   #7
sharif

If you want to go grey, the sure fire reputable Grey market dealers are swiss luxury and Alan Furman (sp)
sharif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2007, 01:16 PM   #8
dr_rolex

Watch: Cartier + Rolex
Icon7

So long as you look towards reputable dealers............EBAY is an option.

But looking on EBAY for a $7,000 that some one just so happens to have for $2,000 and has (2) positive feedbacks for selling chewing gum is not a wise move.

Make sure the PRICE MAKES SENSE.

Make sure the SELLER has POSITIVE feedback. Read the feedback ratings.......I do.

Make sure the SELLERS Feedback has to do with high end watches. (Just because a SELLER has 4,000 feedback, make sure it's selling high end watches, if not, PASS).
dr_rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2007, 01:40 PM   #9
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Also..

I would try to find a Grey dealer who is, or has, a Rolex trained technician in house. A gray who can thoroughly authenticate the watch prior to selling it to you. National Watch in Philly and Bernardwatch.com come to mind. Though National's prices, IMO, are far from good.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2007, 04:57 PM   #10
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_rolex View Post
Make sure the SELLER has POSITIVE feedback. Read the feedback ratings.......I do.
Make a point of checking the seller's purchase feedback, too. If he's recently bought Rolex accessories that could be used to fluff out a package for sale, I'd pass.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote