The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 December 2012, 08:39 AM   #1
TyinLex
"TRF" Member

Need help identifying this Bubbleback please

I obtained this Rolex Oyster Perpetual Bubbleback with black dial watch in a family estate auction from my Grandmother's brother-in-law about three years ago. I bought a box of goodies and this little jewel was in there, now I have done as much research on it as possible without opening it up. I have never worn this (too small) but as you can see, it has a lot of wear. Using the serial number, I dated the watch to ~1944, serial number 325***

The Case

The solid stainless steel screw down case is in fair condition with signs of wear to be expected on a watch of this age. You can see where someone has tried to open the case with something other than the proper tools. It also has a few dents and scratches that are visible, a working mans watch. I know many Rolexes have 'Stainless Steel R.W.C.' on the case, but this does not. The phrase 'Stainless Steel' appears at 12 o'clock between the lugs. The serial number is at 6 o'clock between the lugs: 325***. The winding cap has 'Rolex Oyster' and is free and winds the hands.

The Dial

I believe the dial is a semi-Arabics black gloss dial with its original pink gilt factory printing and Radium luminous. The ‘Rolex Crown’ dial is in fair condition for it’s age. The hands are all straight and wind properly. The numbers have corrosive appearance but looks like with a cleaning, could be brought back to life. It is signed ‘Rolex Oyster Perpetual, ‘Chronometer’ and ‘Swiss Made’. The lens shows signs of wear and scratching.

The Movement

Have never opened it, but I can hear something moving when I shake it. Sounds like something needs fixed.

The Strap

I received the watch with this current stainless steel Speidel USA strap.

I'm just looking for as much information as possible on this watch. I have seen many pictures and descriptions, but I have never ran across any that looked like this. I know the black dials bubblebacks are unique and could bring a hefty payday, but I am just looking for information and whether or not it is worth repairing and restoring. If anyone has a ballpark value or restoration value, I would appreciate it. Happy Holidays!
TyinLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2012, 11:30 PM   #2
adam78
"TRF" Member

A pic is worth the proverbial thousand words...We are lost without some clear photos, sorry.
Old 19 December 2012, 05:11 AM   #3
TyinLex
"TRF" Member

Struggling to get a post seen, here is three photos, but I have more.

Old 20 December 2012, 07:51 AM   #4
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
She's in rough shape, but with a full restoration and a nos oyster rivited bracelet shell look great. I'd recommend sending her to bob Ridley for the restoration.
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2013, 06:26 AM   #5
TyinLex
"TRF" Member

Would you happen to know the ballpark range of cost for a restoration from Bob Ridley?
Old 6 February 2013, 06:43 AM   #6
oinkitt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyinLex View Post
Would you happen to know the ballpark range of cost for a restoration from Bob Ridley?
I doubt it would be "cost effective" to send this watch to Bob. Id be looking for a good local service centre.

Remember guys... Bob isnt the only game in town.
oinkitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2013, 07:03 AM   #7
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
When it comes to Bubblebacks, I would send it to Tommy Taylor. He specializes in these and will know what to do.
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2013, 08:07 AM   #8
timely

Watch: 3131 bubble back
Bob Ridley quioted me 895+ to do my Fathers 14k Bubble Back
I ended up having Rolex RCS in New York do it after lots of begging it was 1600.00

Before

After
timely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2013, 04:19 PM   #9
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Do NOT send it to anyone (be that BR or RSC) -- OK, you can send it to Tommy.

You have a very rare and interesting dial on your watch. Don't do more that you need to keep the watch running. Replace the crystal, but keep the original one.

Here's mine 6050 (ok, few years later, but similar dial).

Vlad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP4793.jpg (94.3 KB, 291 views)
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2013, 04:21 PM   #10
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, you have a VERY desirable EARLY dial (two line, with Rolex Oyster being on the first line).....
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2013, 06:53 AM   #11
Lody

Watch: Rolex
Got the same! Ref. 2940

Lody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2013, 06:59 AM   #12
TyinLex
"TRF" Member

So my watch would be listed as a 'Rolex Oyster Perpetual Bubbleback Ref. 2940'? I noticed on Lody's watch (Ref. 2940) that it does not list all of the numbers like my watch. Does that make my watch more desirable?

Thank you all for getting back with me on this, just trying to honor his watch the right way. He was in the Army and possibly got this overseas when on duty. I want to get all the information before I determine what to do with the watch.
Old 30 July 2013, 09:46 AM   #13
adam78
"TRF" Member

Your case reference number, depending on the year of production, could have been on the outer case back, with the SN (if so, then worn or polished off), or on the inner case back, or (if post-WWII), between the lugs at 12:00. It is probably a 2940, given the steel case and center-seconds. The original dial and hands, despite the extreme patina, are super.

I would also give a recommendation for either Bob Ridley or Tommy Taylor (rolexwatchtime@att.net). Both would cost about the same (400-500 without other than routine parts), but Tommy usually has a shorter turnaround time these days. Both have worked on my bubblebacks and early Oysters and are great.
Old 4 August 2013, 12:19 AM   #14
DrLindaPhD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Boys Tudor Sub
Dial and hands need to be restored (but keep them, don't replace them) case needs thorough policing and get a nice replacement distressed leather band and you will be good to go. To get it looking great and professionally restored, figure about $800. Would it be worth it? If you want to keep it and wear it and enjoy it. Now, the restoration quote does not, and I repeat, does not include a servicing which it also may need and that could be another $400. Think it over carefully before you put money into it. While it is a nice, somewhat rare dial and the bubblebacks have a lot of collectibility, you can probably pick up a really nice bubbleback in good working condition for under $2000 so you need to think this through and decide what you really want. If you want to find a nice vintage, wearable Rolex then save your money to get a good one but if you want to restore this and keep it then figure at least $1,000 between restoration and servicing (at minimum)
DrLindaPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2013, 06:44 AM   #15
adam78
"TRF" Member

Leave the dial and hands as they are, in the watch, please!
Old 4 August 2013, 08:42 PM   #16
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam78 View Post
Leave the dial and hands as they are, in the watch, please!
I agree, they're aged, but I don't think that it would look bad at all cleaned up
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2013, 09:37 PM   #17
adam78
"TRF" Member

I'd be very hesitant to have anyone touch the dial, actually. The spotting may well be under the lacquer. It's too unusual a dial to risk more damage IMO. It probably isn't too bad in person!
Old 4 August 2013, 09:40 PM   #18
Lody

Watch: Rolex
Totally agree with Adam ! Change the plasic and get the movement serviced. That is all I would do....
Lody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2013, 02:41 AM   #19
DrLindaPhD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Boys Tudor Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lody View Post
Totally agree with Adam ! Change the plasic and get the movement serviced. That is all I would do....
After thinking about it, you guys are right. I would just do that first and see if it is acceptable before touching the dial. I know a lot of you are big on leaving the dial as is but I don't have an issue with restoration and I do love patina if it is equalized on the dial.
DrLindaPhD is offline   Reply With Quote