The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 13 July 2014, 07:40 AM   #1
PatekCollector
"TRF" Member

My story whith the new Pam590 ...!!

I've read from other guys who had the same issue!!. Honestly I don't believe them till I had the same experience.

Ok, last month I've contacted a Panerai US Boutique to order the new Pam590 (to be delivered to US address). Last week I got email from the same boutique telling me that this reference is exclusive to US market (Ok I know that) and they'll be able to sell it ONLY if it is accompanied by another Panerai watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I think this is totally wrong marketing way!!. Why should I get something I don't need it while you'll give me the original item in full price.

I immediately cancel the whole idea as I don’t see or hear that any other brand did the same.

IMHO, these bad marketing/selling ways brought the brand to the basement level!!!!.

Forgive me but I’ve a message to Panerai Management: Guys, are you suffering from the very drop-off your brand to force buyers to buy unneeded watch to get what they want??!!

Instagram: @PatekCollector
PatekCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2014, 08:01 AM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Shocking..... So sorry to hear this.

I thought that you had already liquidated your very impressive Panerai collection, so, it's interesting that the 590 would tempt you back?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2014, 08:35 AM   #3
bigstick
"TRF" Member

although it's bad and wrong, i'm not massively surprised
They are very aware this is going to be flipped big time in the first 6 months, my understanding is they are trying very hard to get the early ones to hard core collectors who won't flip them
The problem is they get none of the profit of the flipped watch, the watch is relatively cheap

can i ask, i saw when you sold your amazing collection, what brought you back to buy the 590?
bigstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2014, 09:32 AM   #4
PatekCollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
although it's bad and wrong, i'm not massively surprised
They are very aware this is going to be flipped big time in the first 6 months, my understanding is they are trying very hard to get the early ones to hard core collectors who won't flip them
The problem is they get none of the profit of the flipped watch, the watch is relatively cheap

can i ask, i saw when you sold your amazing collection, what brought you back to buy the 590?
I think its not worth flipping specially with these hard days for Panerai and don't forget its non limited (I think).

I discovered that collecting PPs & Langes (correct refs) are more valuable and enjoyable also politicly of Panerai which harmful the brand.

So i've no choice but to use thos Panerais funds in a better way.

As for the new 590. I like the shape of the dial and I said buying just one watch with almost 7k+ is not big deal.

Instagram: @PatekCollector
PatekCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2014, 04:13 AM   #5
Milgauss J
"TRF" Member

That is just wrong. I am glad you sent a message to Panerai management. I hate dealing with AD's that behave that way.
Milgauss J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2014, 03:57 PM   #6
bry
"TRF" Member

That is absurd. Sorry to hear that.
bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2014, 10:10 PM   #7
bigstick
"TRF" Member

it's clearly wrong, but i do wonder if they were basically telling you, no we're not going to sell you one. From the Boutiques point of view, they will only get so many initially who do they sell them to?

They are clearly going to go to those that will develop potential future sales, if you're not buying panerai now, what do they have to gain by choosing you over someone else

This was and in some cases still is standard practice with daytonas in the rolex AD

i have the same problem, i'm not in the USA, i won't be buying more watches from a US boutique, they may politely take mu name for the waiting list, but i'll be a long was down it.

The weird part is that initially it's a US only model, which would make sense if there were also Europe only models, but i'm sure there is a logic in it somewhere

My choice is either wait a couple of years until they are on worldwide release of pay the flipper tax, it's annoying
bigstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2014, 12:42 AM   #8
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
I have lost interest in Panerai and have no plans of buying anymore. I still have an PAM 005 PVD but that's it. Just sticking with AP and PP now.
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2014, 06:55 AM   #9
Mystro

Typical Italian exclusivity sales tactic. Ferrari invented this tactic.
Old 18 July 2014, 04:33 AM   #10
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Very silly tactics. Glad I'm only interested in the regular production models
Old 18 July 2014, 12:53 PM   #11
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
The 590 is a regular production model. It will only be available in the US initially (I've been told the 1st year of production), then it will become available as a regular ongoing production model worldwide.

People held these same beliefs about the 372 and look at those now. Anyone who wants a 590 will get one in time. The only thing new here is the "initial" US only availability, which is temporary.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2014, 09:22 PM   #12
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonovox View Post
The 590 is a regular production model. It will only be available in the US initially (I've been told the 1st year of production), then it will become available as a regular ongoing production model worldwide.

People held these same beliefs about the 372 and look at those now. Anyone who wants a 590 will get one in time. The only thing new here is the "initial" US only availability, which is temporary.
Yes, it's listed in the Luminor collection but it's hardly 'regular' in terms of availability i.e. from any AD with no conditions

The talk around the 372 when it was launched was mostly speculation about it being a LE, which as you say was not the case
Old 19 July 2014, 01:44 PM   #13
mborkow
"TRF" Member

Watch: gmt2c pam372
I like the 590 (nice balanced dial) but it's hard for me to imagine paying anything extra for any PAM these days.
mborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2014, 02:40 AM   #14
zlin08033
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear this.
Just got the call from Alex NY boutique, 590 is on the way to my house.
zlin08033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2014, 03:46 AM   #15
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlin08033 View Post
Sorry to hear this.

Very nice! Congrats.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2014, 11:00 AM   #16
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlin08033 View Post
Sorry to hear this.
Alex is a good man! I can't wait to see it and hear your feedback!

Best,

Fred
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2014, 01:12 PM   #17
Preeble
"TRF" Member

I also am getting one from the NYC boutique... She said it would come Friday or Saturday. I've had a hunkering for this watch since I saw it earlier in the year and I'm excited to finally see it in the flesh!
Preeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2014, 12:30 AM   #18
abnerc15
"TRF" Member

This seems to be a tactic used by all Panerai ADs.... I remember expressing interest in the PAM 507 some time ago and the salesperson in Singapore told me that she could offer me one only if I bundle it with one of their gold models.... I found this ridiculous and said NO THANK YOU!!!!
And no I was not a walk in customer as I have bought a couple of APs and other watches from this AD...
abnerc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2014, 12:41 AM   #19
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Reputation is everything to a luxury goods manufacturer. If the sale force for any brand, including Pam and Rolex, is not trained, respectful, and consistent across all stores, it will damage business in the long run no matter how nice the watches are.

This is basic business 101 (and I have a master's degree in business management). My guess is that corporate is pushing for short term sales boost at the expense of the long term sales and protection of the brand image. If pam is part of a publicly held company (with shareholders), then this is pretty common. No excuse for privately held companies, which can focus on the long term success without pressure to meet quarterly earnings numbers.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2014, 05:34 AM   #20
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalidSS View Post
I've read from other guys who had the same issue!!. Honestly I don't believe them till I had the same experience.

Ok, last month I've contacted a Panerai US Boutique to order the new Pam590 (to be delivered to US address). Last week I got email from the same boutique telling me that this reference is exclusive to US market (Ok I know that) and they'll be able to sell it ONLY if it is accompanied by another Panerai watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I think this is totally wrong marketing way!!. Why should I get something I don't need it while you'll give me the original item in full price.

I immediately cancel the whole idea as I don’t see or hear that any other brand did the same.

IMHO, these bad marketing/selling ways brought the brand to the basement level!!!!.

Forgive me but I’ve a message to Panerai Management: Guys, are you suffering from the very drop-off your brand to force buyers to buy unneeded watch to get what they want??!!
Khalid..

I can feel your pain! This is absurd! :

As for myself, I always wonder how is panerai doing lately, cos for myself I am great fan of panerai for many many years and always own some in my collection and I had been buying at least one piece per year... But after I bought the 372 not only did I stop buying completely, I don't even bother to step into the boutique! I usually just do some window shopping looking at display from the outside the store!! .. I do love my PAM372 to bits and i think it is all I ever need from panerai. Hence I sold 5 of my other panerais in my collection after I bought the 372..

.. James
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote