The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 January 2015, 08:25 AM   #1
Doc Strange
"TRF" Member

RSC won't service my 1503 because it was relumed.

Has anyone had this problem and solved it?
I'd like to get my 1962 1503 serviced but the RSC on 5th avenue won't do anything to the watch unless I let them change the face. The new face is a flat blue and not even close to my linen dial.
I can't go for it.
Is the watch "doomed" to aftermarket servicing?
Can a tech knock off the relume to the point where the RSC might let it slide?
What should I do?
Doc Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 08:29 AM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: Golden Tuna
For a watch of that age I would get an independent onto it anyway. RSC are not that great at vintage servicing, in my experience.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 08:35 AM   #3
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
yep , as above ,,, there are a few names that keep popping up , depending on where you are ,, shame to loose a linen dial.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 08:36 AM   #4
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
I think that, for vintage, the top independent guys are a better choice than RSC even if they were willing to work on it.
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 09:54 AM   #5
V.lats97nsx
2024 Pledge Member

Im not sure how the procedure goes for knocking off old lume without damaging the dial. Bring it to an independent.
V.lats97nsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 04:53 PM   #6
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

"Doomed"!? Nothing wrong with a good independent. The movement is relatively simple and easy for servicing. Good luck. And don't go knocking lume off!
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 05:00 PM   #7
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

I find that very odd...

Since THEY THEMSELVES used to RELUME dials and even REFINISH dials during the period your watch was first serviced...it seems hardly fair that they would reject it for service on that basis.

I'm actually surprised they would service it at all....being a 1560 movement.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 05:52 PM   #8
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Independent, otherwise if you hearts set on a Rolex service buy a dial on eBay have any decent watchmaker change it then send in do the same after I see no other option if you want a Rolex service, personally I would go independent cheers
Old 8 January 2015, 10:08 PM   #9
Doc Strange
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
"Doomed"!? Nothing wrong with a good independent. The movement is relatively simple and easy for servicing. Good luck. And don't go knocking lume off!
I used the quotes around doomed to hint toward sarcasm. Always tough on the internet. I'm not against going with an independent but I had hoped to get some rolex papers for this thing.

I'm still happy with the watch and pretty eager to get it into the hands of a knowledgeable watchmaker.

Why not knock off this old aftermarket lume? It's a little sloppy and is missing from the 9 position, having already fallen off at some point leaving no marks or scars where it was. Assuming it can be removed without causing damage below, is there some other reason not to remove it? Is there any concern beyond possible damage underneath? Couldn't any damage underneath be dealt with by having an expert re-re-lume the dial?
Old 8 January 2015, 10:27 PM   #10
CharlieMae
Banned

Even if you knock off the dial lume, it has been my experience that RSC will still require you to purchase a new dial at full retail before they will service it.

If you want papers for this watch then you will need to have a private watchmaker replace the dial and then send it in to RSC for service. Then, once it gets back from RSC, bring it back to the private watchmaker to reinstall your original dial.

I think its all a waste of time and money. A 1503 isnt going to be worth that much more with RSC papers than without. In fact, I think the cost of the RSC service, especially if you buy a new dial, will be more than any possible increase in value from the papers.

It has also been my observation that RSC papers, as opposed to punched papers, do nothing more than substantiate you had a service and the watch is genuine. Removing the caseback can provide the same thing for any knowledgeable buyer and provide similar information.
CharlieMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2015, 02:50 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Look around and find an era correct linen dial.
Old 9 January 2015, 03:33 AM   #12
jban5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513~1675x2~1680~
Since RSC won't service your watch they actually performed a great service to you. It's possible that if you had had them send it in, aside from the problem with the dial they might have sent it back after several weeks with the note that they no longer service that movement due to age. This would put you time and money wasted.
jban5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2015, 03:59 AM   #13
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Strange View Post
I used the quotes around doomed to hint toward sarcasm. Always tough on the internet. I'm not against going with an independent but I had hoped to get some rolex papers for this thing.

I'm still happy with the watch and pretty eager to get it into the hands of a knowledgeable watchmaker.

Why not knock off this old aftermarket lume? It's a little sloppy and is missing from the 9 position, having already fallen off at some point leaving no marks or scars where it was. Assuming it can be removed without causing damage below, is there some other reason not to remove it? Is there any concern beyond possible damage underneath? Couldn't any damage underneath be dealt with by having an expert re-re-lume the dial?
I understand, sorry! OK, well we haven't seen the dial/lume in question, but I suppose if it's already falling off, and was a bad job anyway then why not. It's hard to comment without a photo.
Old 9 January 2015, 04:02 AM   #14
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieMae View Post
Even if you knock off the dial lume, it has been my experience that RSC will still require you to purchase a new dial at full retail before they will service it.

If you want papers for this watch then you will need to have a private watchmaker replace the dial and then send it in to RSC for service. Then, once it gets back from RSC, bring it back to the private watchmaker to reinstall your original dial.

I think its all a waste of time and money. A 1503 isnt going to be worth that much more with RSC papers than without. In fact, I think the cost of the RSC service, especially if you buy a new dial, will be more than any possible increase in value from the papers.

It has also been my observation that RSC papers, as opposed to punched papers, do nothing more than substantiate you had a service and the watch is genuine. Removing the caseback can provide the same thing for any knowledgeable buyer and provide similar information.
Plus the peace of mind and the 2-year warranty from Rolex...
Old 9 January 2015, 05:11 AM   #15
southtexas
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I personally would skip the hassle and just send it to Rikki at timecareinc

He'll probably be cheaper, give you a warranty, and if I was looking at purchasing a watch, a service receipt from him would assure me it was legit.

As to reluming the dial, yes it can easily be done. There's a place in Dallas that can do it. The name escapes me at the moment...anybody help? It's a relatively easy process, and there are certainly shops in your neck of the woods that can do it as well.

Rikki could probably also do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2015, 11:20 AM   #16
Doc Strange
"TRF" Member

@Vincent65
Here it is. I didn't re-post it in this thread as I had already posted it elsewhere.
Old 10 January 2015, 02:05 AM   #17
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Strange View Post
@Vincent65
Here it is. I didn't re-post it in this thread as I had already posted it elsewhere.
Doesn't look bad to me at all - I'd just have one added at 9 and leave it, but it's your decision, obviously.
Old 10 January 2015, 02:06 AM   #18
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Or get another dial, as others have suggested.
Old 10 January 2015, 04:03 AM   #19
sryukon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 16800
I get it serviced at ABC watchwerks they will give you a warranty and most people feel they do excellent work and the paperwork would be worth as much as Rolex paperwork IMHO

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
sryukon is offline   Reply With Quote