The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > New Members

Old 18 April 2008, 04:52 AM   #1
Suzanne
"TRF" Member

Hello from Seattle!

Hi everyone, I just joined because I am interested in buying a Rolex soon and I need to learn more about them in order to decide what I would like to buy. If anyone has any advice they would like to share with me, I would love to hear it! Thanks!
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2008, 04:02 PM   #2
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Welcome (again) to TRF, Suzanne!

I for my part prefer buying from an AD for peace of mind. The best thing is to simply go to an AD and try on various models and go for the one that appeals most to you.

Personally, I really love the look of a 36 or even 40 mm watch on a female wrist.

Don't be afraid of asking for a discount at the AD. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Best of luck!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2008, 07:06 PM   #3
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Welcome to the Forum

Have a nice stay and join the fun

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2008, 10:52 PM   #4
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Welcome Suzanne. I have seen many lovely Rolex watches that are women's watches or many women wear the men's larger dial watch. The larger watch looks better in my opinion. You can see it better in the day-time and the illumination is better at night. Enjoy your stay. You could also check out some gray market dealers where you will get a lot of money off from an authorized dealer you won't get a Rolex Company warranty but you will probably get a market warranty. The following company sells nice Rolex watches and are warrantied for life: www.steindiamonds.com.

Welcome to TRF.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2008, 11:47 PM   #5
Chappy

Watch: ND Sub 14060M cosc
Welcome to TRF Suzanne ... You are in the right place for info .... enjoy your time here and good luck on your first purchase .... remember to share

Colin
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2008, 03:46 AM   #6
jmjm

Watch: Blue Submariner TT
Among Asian culture, here's the way I see it. (The bottom line is that you are placing your pin along the "Prestige" chart)

I think, unlike the men, it is rare that women appreciate a Rolex for its history, the beauty of the "mechanical movement" (which is hidden inside a sealed oyster case which no one but the service center can see), etc. That's probably why there aren't many sport models for women. They wouldn't need a rotating bezel to track how much time they have left in the parking meter, as they would usually have the men do it.

Besides the yachtmaster, which I have never seen anyone wearing in person (as most asian men wear Datejust and DayDate), the only choice for women are the Datejust and the "President" as there are no "DayDate" for women due to the obvious size.

In my opinion, I like the women's size on women, (rather than women wearing men's sizes) since most Asian women are petite with thin wrists.

Here are the ones that I've seen on women, and who they are. (In the Asian Community)

1. The Stainless Datejust with roman or stick markers. (Usually in silver face or white face) Fluted bezel, jubilee band.
Since the functionality of a watch for women is 60-70% jewelry, this stainless steel model is very modest and not as popular as the two tone model. (Yes, the white gold has been popularized in the recent years rather than yellow gold, but still the yellow distinguishes it from the steel only model, and makes the statement that you forked out an extra two grand or so. The Jubilee band is much more popular than the oyster band.

1-b In my opinion, upgrading the stainless steel to one with diamond markers and diamond bezel, rather than the basic Two tone version is definitely worth it. (Explanation at the end of this post)

2. Two tone (T/T) Datejust with Stick/Roman markers. (Champaign dial is very popular) The new jubilee band makes it much more prettier, making it more like the president band, and a bracelet. Wearing a TT band, is like wearing a 1/2 gold bracelet.

From this model, there are so many variations. The first upgrade is to go with "Diamond" markers rather than a plain "Stick" or roman. this will add $1000 or so more. The second major upgrade is the "Diamond" bezel" which in my opinon is the prettiest combination for the women's Datejust. Another upgrade would be the "Pearl dial".

So, at this Datejust level, the upgrades are:

A: A Two tone with stick or Roman marker, Fluted Bezel, Jubilee Band
B: Upgrade to Diamond Markers
C: Upgrade to Diamond Bezel
D: Upgrade to a Pearl Dial (at this level, you're looking at about $7,500~$8,500 ???)

The beginning models of the Datejusts are like the Honda Accords. It is modest, beautiful, and makes a pleasant statement "I do my best in life and I like to take care of my self..... Oh this ol thing? I got it for my wedding."

3. The full gold President (Mucho $$$)
At this level, you start all over again with the dial, markers, bezel, etc. The band comes in a full solid 18K gold, and it's called the president band. This band is distinctive from the Datejust's jubilee band. It is much more "expensive" looking. Just seeing a middle aged lady with a president screams out "business woman!!!" or rather "A successful business woman who you don't want to mess with if you know what's good for you." This type of women would be in her early 50's and she would drive nothing less than a late model "E" class. (Although the Diamond model owners raise the bar to the "S" class)

4. The "Masterpiece"

I haven't seen these yet, (I've seen some fake ones, and it is obvious that the diamonds and gold are not real) but basically these seem to be modified Datejusts with more "bling" on the bracelet. In my opinion, these are not as attractive as the DJ and the Presidents, as the bezels remind me of fancy hubcaps or an alien spacecraft. (Maybe I'll change my mind when I see a real one in person)

5. The "Upper Echelon" ($30K and up)

Now these ones are Blings. Diamonds sparling everywhere, including the bracelet. Not an everyday wear, as most women who have these are on their second or third Rollies by now. These are amazingly beautiful.

I hope I didn't sound like a jerk in trying to add a little humor, but basically this is my perspective on women's line of Rolex. My wife started out with a TT Datejust with plain stick marker, fluted bezel and a Julilee band (old verison). She upgraded the dial to diamonds, which improved her satisfaction by 40%. Then, she upgraded to a diamond bezel which improved her owner satisfaction by 120%. She made the upgrade through a reliable 3rd party jeweler. (There are a ton of rolex upgrades that Rolex will not and do not do due to money making issues) She ended up spending about $2000 for the upgrades, but she definitely is 300% more satisfied.

As a comparison, her friend who had a TT smooth bezel, oyster band, plain stick face, did a trade in. She bought the watch for about $3500 back 10 years or so ago, and not too long ago got about $2,000 for it, and bought a Stainless Steel, MOP - Mother of Pearl dial with diamond markers, diamond bezel, jubilee band for about $5000. She too is happy with it.
BTW, if possible, white gold is much, much, much more prettier that Stainless Steel, but it will cost at least $10,000 more for it since it now has a different name called the "President".

Conclusion:

Get the SS or the TT DJ with Diamond Markers, Diamond Bezel, Jubilee Band. These are by far the prettiest combination under $10K. (MOP if desired) mop = mother of pearl
jmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2008, 10:38 AM   #7
Johno
"TRF" Member

The problem with women's size watch is the visibility of the dial and hands. It is much less visible than the mid 31mm or regular 36mm and even a 40mm.
I guess it is up to the individual
Johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2008, 12:18 PM   #8
clbcpa
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508
Hi Suzanne and welcome to TRF! As you can see, opinions vary as to mens vs womens watch (I also prefer the sub date or GMT on a women or even a SD)on a woman. My suggestion is to go to your local AD and try on a few. We will be anxious to hear the results!
Old 20 April 2008, 12:44 PM   #9
GMTII Owner
"TRF" Member

Watch: S/S GMT Master IIc
Welcome!

My wife has a SS DJ woman's watch I bought her for her birthday. However, when we were looking at my GMTIIc, she saw and really liked the mid-size YM (oh boy). However, it all comes down to trying them on and seeing which one "speaks" to your heart. Then you'll know. When you do, let's see the pictures. Enjoy your stay.
Old 20 April 2008, 04:34 PM   #10
OYSTERMANN
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ,DD,GMTIIc,Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTII Owner View Post
Welcome!

My wife has a SS DJ woman's watch I bought her for her birthday. However, when we were looking at my GMTIIc, she saw and really liked the mid-size YM (oh boy). However, it all comes down to trying them on and seeing which one "speaks" to your heart. Then you'll know. When you do, let's see the pictures. Enjoy your stay.

Welcome, again, Suzanne.

This is definitely the best way forward for you here. Have a wander down to your local AD and let them help you choose.

It'll probably be a bit like Hansell and Grettell in the Sugar House at first, but, rest assured, one Rolex will just will catch your eye and call out to you.

It probably won't be the first one that you look at, but as you get more familiar with the array of different models, you'll start to narrow down the ones that really appeal to you. Ultimately, one will just look right, feel right, put a huge grin on your face and that will be YOUR first Rolex.

Please let us all know how you get on - we love thread about new purchases.

116231 SS/RG DATEJUST 2007
118238 YG DAY-DATE 2007
116713 LN SS/YG GMT IIc 2008
116613 LB SS/YG SUBMARINER 2009
216570 SS EXPLORER II 2013
116520 SS DAYTONA 2014
OYSTERMANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2008, 03:25 PM   #11
TDH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Welcome to TRF Suzanne, and no doubt this is the best Rolex resource on the web! Would go the AD route for peace of mind although online retailers like alanfurman are solid as well!
TDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2008, 11:36 PM   #12
PacNW

Watch: Rolex DayDate
Welcome neighbor, enjoy the forum
PacNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2008, 12:06 AM   #13
GMTJOHNNY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2007 DAY DATE 18KT
WELCOME!
This is the very best forum with so many helpful people willing to assist and share their knowledge.
Enjoy and come often!!
JD
ROLEX AIR KING 14000 (1991)
ROLEX GMTIIC TT 116713LN (2008)
GMTJOHNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 03:03 AM   #14
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Welcome, Suzanne!

You might have a gander at the dealer in Bellevue. Friends who have shopped there have only raves.
boa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 04:32 AM   #15
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Welcome aboard!
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2008, 11:11 AM   #16
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Hi Suzanne, belated welcome aboard!
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2008, 02:01 PM   #17
ticowa

Watch: GMT2C
Welcome,

I'm just East of the lake. If you are looking for a new one I would suggest going South to Oregon when you find the right one.
ticowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2008, 11:21 PM   #18
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
welcome to the madness!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote