The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 July 2015, 08:11 AM   #1
daytonaTBR
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on the Datograph

After two new additions to my collection in the past few months I can't help but think about what's ahead. Ideally I'd want an RM35-01 but I don't think that's gonna happen any time soon unless I say goodbye to a couple of my pieces.

Recently I've been very interested in Lange and after being sidetracked by a Journe I am seriously considering a Datograph. Out of the following which would you get and why: Datograph PT 39mm, Datograph Up/Down PT 41mm, or the new Datograph Up/Down RG 41mm? I find the 39 mm dato in rose gold to be cool but it just doesn't do it for me like the other ones.

Also for some reason I keep thinking about the Patek 5110P. The smallest watches I own are 39mm, I don't travel nor have any possible usage for the world time feature but it's a stunner. . . . What are your thoughts on the 5110P vs Datograph(s) (strange comparison I know).

Thanks.
daytonaTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2015, 09:20 AM   #2
paverman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw15 View Post
After two new additions to my collection in the past few months I can't help but think about what's ahead. Ideally I'd want an RM35-01 but I don't think that's gonna happen any time soon unless I say goodbye to a couple of my pieces.

Recently I've been very interested in Lange and after being sidetracked by a Journe I am seriously considering a Datograph. Out of the following which would you get and why: Datograph PT 39mm, Datograph Up/Down PT 41mm, or the new Datograph Up/Down RG 41mm? I find the 39 mm dato in rose gold to be cool but it just doesn't do it for me like the other ones.

Also for some reason I keep thinking about the Patek 5110P. The smallest watches I own are 39mm, I don't travel nor have any possible usage for the world time feature but it's a stunner. . . . What are your thoughts on the 5110P vs Datograph(s) (strange comparison I know).

Thanks.
In response to the Dato question, you're going to hear mixed results to be sure. The original Dato is an Icon and is very popular and many favor the original 39mm size. In my opinion, Lange further perfected the original by making it slightly larger and adding a power reserve in the new Up/Down version. By increasing the diameter, the overall proportions were improved. In addition, in typical Lange style, an entirely new movement was created to fit to the new, larger case design .
In regards to platinum vs. RG, that's going to depend on personal preference. I love them both and think the new RG version is going to be a big hit, as it looks awesome.
paverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2015, 09:25 AM   #3
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I think the Dato is iconic and believe you cannot go wrong with such a piece. I agree with Ken--- I would definitely go with the newer version that has a PR indicator. I agree with the overall proportions but in addition -- I think a PR indicator is one of the most useful complications. I personally would go for the P version rather than RG but that is my personal preference
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2015, 09:47 AM   #4
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
For me original Dato in platinum true icon and new Up Down in RG! I have the original PT Dato and it wears great IMHO and love the classic iconic look. I also agree with Ken and think the new RG Up Down will be a huge hit. Lots of threads on this on forums so do your research and either way they are all nice so can't lose.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2015, 10:52 AM   #5
texex91
"TRF" Member

I say hold out for RM.

Lange is smaller (again your milage will vary) so please try it on first.

However if you want a dressy watch, Dato (41mm) would be the one for me.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2015, 11:19 AM   #6
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
Thoughts on the Datograph

For a while I have been eyeing the dato up down, in this case I really love the new larger case fits my wrist better. My vote goes to the platinum dato up down it probably my next watch unless I want to buy something cheaper before making a leap to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2015, 11:48 AM   #7
HL65

PS As someone who owns Dato and also had 5110P I can tell you I much prefer the Dato. The 5110P wears very small on my 7.5 inch wrist whereas the original Dato makes for great dress watch. It is a nice watch and great world timer but also if going in that direction I'd recommend Lange Time Zone which wears much better and looks amazing. Here is RG grey dial for you to check out. It is my personal favorite Lange that I own! Happy hunting...Cheers,

Here is 5110P for you too so you can see comparison.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 12 July 2015, 12:26 PM   #8
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I have the Timezone 1 in RG off white dial. I don't wear it as much as i thought I would but outstanding piece. If that one in the equation--- well then makes your selection even more difficult LOL
Old 12 July 2015, 01:36 PM   #9
daytonaTBR
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. So far I've only tried on the 41mm PT Up/Down and I'm gonna take it slow this time and try to see the other options in the flesh before I make up my mind. As for the 5110P I'm probably going to pass for now and focus on the dato. P.S. that Lange 1 Timezone looks AMAZING (along with the datographs too as well)!
Old 12 July 2015, 02:11 PM   #10
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

The 39mm dato is a dream watch IMHO. The manual wind chrono to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 July 2015, 06:24 PM   #11
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Personally and in a heartbeat I would choose the Datograph up & down.

It's not very often that you can improve on what is already, imo, a perfect watch. But in this case L&S have definitely done that.

I love the new dial, and the slight increase in case size.

And what else can be said about the movement, except STUNNING :)

Choose of metal, I would normally go with the ultimate - Platinum. But I also love R/G

A lovely position to be in :)
Old 12 July 2015, 07:36 PM   #12
SearChart
TechXpert

The Datograph is pure perfection, try them and get the one you like most.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2015, 09:12 PM   #13
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
The Dato is fabulous but I found that it flopped around a lot on my 6.5" wrist.

kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2015, 09:20 PM   #14
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
Ken and Ken nailed it in my opinion. For me the increase in size and RG are two strong positives. I believe on another forum a guy bought and posted pictures of the new RG Up/Down he purchased. It looks great.
Old 13 July 2015, 09:08 AM   #15
paverman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
The Dato is fabulous but I found that it flopped around a lot on my 6.5" wrist.

As much as I love platinum watches, the flopping issue is always out there given the mass. The thickness and weight of both the new and old (platinum) Dato's makes for a top heavy reality. This is where I think the Up / Down gains a little advantage on the original because of its larger "footprint". My opinion of course (don't flame me Ken )
The new RG Dato will be better in this regard.
paverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2015, 09:11 AM   #16
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by paverman View Post
As much as I love platinum watches, the flopping issue is always out there given the mass. The thickness and weight of both the new and old (platinum) Dato's makes for a top heavy reality. This is where I think the Up / Down gains a little advantage on the original because of its larger "footprint". My opinion of course (don't flame me Ken )
The new RG Dato will be better in this regard.
No flaming my friend. For me given larger wrist size as well the original Dato wears very comfortable and doesn't flop around at all. Again there are no wrong answers simply different tastes. I love the original Dato as it is a true Lange icon and think the RG Up Down will be perfect metal for that watch given that it warms it up and somehow makes the open space work more vs platinum UD.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 13 July 2015, 12:27 PM   #17
daytonaTBR
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the helpful insight everyone. I am going to NY soon so I plan on going to the boutiques there to help me come to a decision. Judging from pictures I think I prefer PT over RG on that Dato. That said I also think that I prefer the original but am slightly worried about the wearability of the piece. Also I wear mostly casual clothing and already have watches that are suitable for formal attire so would you think that a Datograph would look out of place with a polo and shorts?
Old 13 July 2015, 04:01 PM   #18
GB-man
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Thanks for the helpful insight everyone. I am going to NY soon so I plan on going to the boutiques there to help me come to a decision. Judging from pictures I think I prefer PT over RG on that Dato. That said I also think that I prefer the original but am slightly worried about the wearability of the piece. Also I wear mostly casual clothing and already have watches that are suitable for formal attire so would you think that a Datograph would look out of place with a polo and shorts?
No. Perfect for that
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2015, 05:54 PM   #19
CWIN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, AP, Rolex
I don't think there's a wrong choice here. My choice would be the 39mm PT.
Old 13 July 2015, 06:16 PM   #20
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Don't worry, I bet it even looks great with some old jeans, shirt and a worn out levi's trucker jacket. Trust me, dress watches are a lot more versatile than you might think, especially complicated ones as they tend to be bigger and sportier than time only pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
No. Perfect for that
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2015, 07:12 PM   #21
HL65

Quote:
Great thing about Dato is it makes for a great dress watch or weekend wearer so suit to jeans/shorts all good!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 17 July 2015, 12:55 PM   #22
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
TO be honest if you can I would go for the RM, it's awesome, and only 125K on chrono 24 they're giving it away at that price anyways it's purely awesome, but if you can't get it, which I understand, I also want a RM but probably a 011 in titanium you can find some BNIB for 85K, but won't be soon as I will have to save up a few years, or sell my 2 watches and add the cash that I have and get it, but that won't happen, love my AP and PP.

So if you don't get the RM I would get the 39mm Datograph, you can find it at very low prices, 40-45k, plus I prefer the design of the old one way more than the new, of course I saw only the Dato perpetual in real so I guess it's 41mm, i thought it was fine size wise, don't know about the 39mm, prefer it's looks but maybe too bulky like the 44mm Pams and the 40mm ones, the 40's are just way too small and thick whereas the 44's are much better balanced.

By the way you know that you can get the Datograph perpetual in WG, the coolest version because it has grey dial, for great prices, the retail is 130.000 euros but on chrono 24 take a look you will see, great deals on this model IMO, with ALS if you buy right, either used either new from grey dealer, it's one of the best bang for your buck watch brands on the market, the only person in the world who thinks Lange don't loose money is the saleslady at Wempe in Paris, she's german, maybe it explains it according to her buying at retail is like buying gold or real estate, at the good moment of course, great investment you gotta love these salespeople, the BS they serve to their clients is incredible and quite fun in fact when you know a little about watches
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2015, 08:53 AM   #23
daytonaTBR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
TO be honest if you can I would go for the RM, it's awesome, and only 125K on chrono 24 they're giving it away at that price anyways it's purely awesome, but if you can't get it, which I understand, I also want a RM but probably a 011 in titanium you can find some BNIB for 85K, but won't be soon as I will have to save up a few years, or sell my 2 watches and add the cash that I have and get it, but that won't happen, love my AP and PP.

So if you don't get the RM I would get the 39mm Datograph, you can find it at very low prices, 40-45k, plus I prefer the design of the old one way more than the new, of course I saw only the Dato perpetual in real so I guess it's 41mm, i thought it was fine size wise, don't know about the 39mm, prefer it's looks but maybe too bulky like the 44mm Pams and the 40mm ones, the 40's are just way too small and thick whereas the 44's are much better balanced.

By the way you know that you can get the Datograph perpetual in WG, the coolest version because it has grey dial, for great prices, the retail is 130.000 euros but on chrono 24 take a look you will see, great deals on this model IMO, with ALS if you buy right, either used either new from grey dealer, it's one of the best bang for your buck watch brands on the market, the only person in the world who thinks Lange don't loose money is the saleslady at Wempe in Paris, she's german, maybe it explains it according to her buying at retail is like buying gold or real estate, at the good moment of course, great investment you gotta love these salespeople, the BS they serve to their clients is incredible and quite fun in fact when you know a little about watches
I'm probably going to get both a Dato and an RM now but probably Dato first. I'll just sell one or two of the pieces I don't wear often anymore to ease the pain haha. I tried on 2 rm11's last week along with a 55 last week and the 11's didn't really sing to me. When I do decide on an rm I have a feeling it's either gonna be a 55 or a 35.

I was also able to try on the 41mm RG Dato up/down as well and also a 41mm plat and found that the RG was more charming. Problem is I didn't find a 39mm PT dato to try on and like you I prefer the original in PT to the new PT. So in terms of dato I think its either between the Up/Down RG or the Original in PT. I don't think they'll be that far apart in terms of pricing too (grey dealers) in a couple of months. But I am worried that the 39mm dato might seem top heavy as others have commented (my wrist is on the large side but I wouldn't say it's that big).

While I do appreciated the mechanical ingenuity of the Dato perpetual I prefer the normal datograph for its simpler appearance as the Dato perpetual is too cluttered for my liking and I think for its price range I only want an RM
And I too went to a Wempe to look at datographs recently and was assisted by a Germany lady. I asked to see a Datograph up/down in RG and she said they didn't have a datograph but had a up/down. I was confused and she brought a 1815 up/down But yeah I've often gotten the whole BS about Lange watches being super rare, resale as good as gold (lol), no discounts at AD etc. often. It's funny because quite the opposite sales approach happened when I visited the boutique a couple hours later.

Anyways for now I'm deciding between the Datograph 39mm in PT or the new Datograph Up/Down 41mm in RG or the FPJ Resonance Old Version but RG case and movement (Very impressed and addicted with Journe as of late and have always been fascinated with timezone related watches even though I don't travel often). I attached a picture of the Journe I found on the internet for those that are not familiar with the model.

What are everyone's thoughts on these 3?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resonance.jpg (108.5 KB, 343 views)
Old 21 July 2015, 09:29 AM   #24
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What are everyone's thoughts on these 3?
If you're looking for a dress watch grab the Dato without question.

If you want a sports watch that is simply amazing, sell what you need to and say hello to your RM incoming
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2015, 10:18 AM   #25
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

That is a beautiful Journe. I have their 38mm CS in rose gold. The Resonance you are considering while having two time dials was not primarily developed as a dual time watch. You can google and do so more reading about this piece. They are becoming more difficult to find. I really think it is a great choice

Tags
5110p , datograph , lange , patek , worldtimer