The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 1 April 2015, 09:01 AM   #1
hoops10
Banned

Omega Moonwatch 39.7mm question

Hello again, I am still in search for my next watch. I had been looking at the Ladies Speedmaster, because of its small size, I have a very small wrist. But another watch was recommended the Omega Moonwatch 39.7mm. Can anyone who has one give me their opinion of the watch. Also what are the advantages and disadvantages of a manual wind watch compared to an automatic? Will this watch require more frequent servicing? Will this watch need to be wound daily? I generally prefer bracelets, is a replacement bracelet for this watch expensive. Thank you for your assistance.
Hoops10
hoops10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2015, 06:50 PM   #2
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Let me have a shot at answering this question, I guess by the 39.7mm you mean the Numbered Speedmaster edition:

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a manual wind watch compared to an automatic?

This is all rather relative as the disadvantage of winding a watch every other day, may be an advantage for some who enjoy this "connection" with their watches. For me though I find it enjoyable but only because the Speedmaster I own is not my main watch and I do not wear it every day. So in that case the occasional wind is not a big deal. The other advantage I found with the speedmaster is its weight. Granted I have it on a leather strap and its very light and comfortable. The advantage of the automatic watches are that ofcourse they are all pick up and go, also can be put on a winder etc.

Will this watch require more frequent servicing?

I doubt it will require any more servicing than an automatic to be fair.

Will this watch need to be wound daily?

I believe the power reserve is around 45 hours so every other day seems reasonable.

I generally prefer bracelets, is a replacement bracelet for this watch expensive?

Im not sure there is a replacement bracelet available for this particular watch.

In all honesty though, I prefer the original PLEXI moon watch, the one in my signature, as its super versatile with a variety of straps, looks extremely handsome and has a good solid history. But I guess the numbered edition has sapphire crystal which you may prefer. At the end of the day, get the one you want!!

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2015, 10:16 PM   #3
jmsrolls
Banned

The 39.7mm Speedmaster commemorates the First Omega in Space worn by Wally Schirra on his Mercury 7 flight. The watch was his personal Speedy back before NASA began buying them.

I've owned a couple of dozen Speedy Pros over the years (as many as four at one time) but the FOIS is the only one in my current collection. I have even created and installed a custom case back in honor of Schirra's flight.

The watch comes in a commemorative case:

And on a leather strap but I have added an OEM ref# 1125 bracelet to mine:

This is the original case back:

and my custom:

In the past, I have preferred the hesalite crystal but do not find the sapphire on the FOIS to be objectionable.

The lug width is 19mm but most 20mm straps will work. Here's mine on a 20mm Hirsch Medici with Omega fold-over deployant:

I also think it pairs up nicely with the vintage look of the Seamaster 300 Master Co-axial:

The watch wears nicely and can dress up or down easily. Great for smaller wrists.
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2015, 11:46 PM   #4
Shef
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust/Speedy
If you want it to perform as it should you will need to wind it daily
Shef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2015, 12:05 PM   #5
stil

Watch: Rolex n Omega
Grab yourself a Speedmaster Reduced...3510.50. They can be had for under $1500 and have a solid movement. The Omega Cal 3220 (ETA 2982-A2 and the DD piggyback chrono module).
stil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2015, 12:10 AM   #6
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stil View Post
Grab yourself a Speedmaster Reduced...3510.50. They can be had for under $1500 and have a solid movement. The Omega Cal 3220 (ETA 2982-A2 and the DD piggyback chrono module).
Early on in my WISdom, I was considering a Speedmaster Reduced and asked for opinions on another forum. The overwhelming response was don't do it.

I took that advice and bought a pre-owned 3570.50 Speedmaster Pro. A couple of dozen Speedy Pros later, I am thankful I took their advice.

IMO there is only one Speedmaster - the Professional.
Old 18 May 2015, 12:32 AM   #7
stil

Watch: Rolex n Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
Early on in my WISdom, I was considering a Speedmaster Reduced and asked for opinions on another forum. The overwhelming response was don't do it.

I took that advice and bought a pre-owned 3570.50 Speedmaster Pro. A couple of dozen Speedy Pros later, I am thankful I took their advice.

IMO there is only one Speedmaster - the Professional.
To each his own...which is a good thing.and one of the main reasons there are so many options. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on why you came to that conclusion.

I think the hesitation with the reduced is primarily the piggy back DD module on the ETA movement from what I've read. That said, I haven't found anyone that has said its not a solid, reliable piece.

It's perceived that service costs are higher on this as well but in reality I've found several places, including Omega, that will service it for the same price as the 3570 variants.
stil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2015, 10:34 AM   #8
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
There really is only one IMHO.
The Speedmaster Pro with the 321,831 or 1831 cal.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2015, 10:42 AM   #9
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I like the 39 version.
Old 28 May 2015, 10:54 AM   #10
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
Wow, I've probably owned ten speedmasters, mostly the older ones, and I didn't even know
that the 39.7 existed. Thanks for posting this.

Does anyone have a picture of a standard speedmaster man on the moon watch next to the 39.7 model, as this piece could be on my list...?
Old 28 May 2015, 11:21 AM   #11
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I've had both...i really like the raised logo, hands, and lack of crown guards of the numbered edition, but always had a thought in the back of my mind that the 3570.50 I previously had was more representative of the true moon watch
mps354 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2015, 02:49 PM   #12
Joe.King
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Just bought mine last week. Speedmaster Numbered Edition.

Joe.King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2015, 10:00 PM   #13
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.King View Post

Congrats!

Old 29 May 2015, 08:56 AM   #14
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.King View Post

Very nice
mps354 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2015, 02:17 PM   #15
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Omega Moonwatch 39.7mm question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
The 39.7mm Speedmaster commemorates the First Omega in Space worn by Wally Schirra on his Mercury 7 flight. The watch was his personal Speedy back before NASA began buying them.

I've owned a couple of dozen Speedy Pros over the years (as many as four at one time) but the FOIS is the only one in my current collection. I have even created and installed a custom case back in honor of Schirra's flight.

The watch comes in a commemorative case:

And on a leather strap but I have added an OEM ref# 1125 bracelet to mine:

This is the original case back:

and my custom:

In the past, I have preferred the hesalite crystal but do not find the sapphire on the FOIS to be objectionable.

The lug width is 19mm but most 20mm straps will work. Here's mine on a 20mm Hirsch Medici with Omega fold-over deployant:

I also think it pairs up nicely with the vintage look of the Seamaster 300 Master Co-axial:

The watch wears nicely and can dress up or down easily. Great for smaller wrists.

Great review. I read it a few days ago. Wasn't even aware of this reference...this Speedmaster wasn't on my radar at all.

I've got my father's Speedmaster Professional, purchased in the mid 1970s. I'd toyed with the idea of buying a new Speedmaster Professional.

I stopped by the Omega boutique yesterday. I was chatting with their technician, who had put a black leather strap on dad's Moonwatch. We started to discuss Omega's relationship with NASA. He brought out the First Omega in Space.

I placed it against my wrist and knew, instantly, that I would buy it. Just a perfect fit for me. A great compliment to my father's Moonwatch. A damned good value, too.

When a watch speaks to you, listen.

That watch didn't just speak, it positively sang out! So, I brought it home.

I'll post pictures soon...but it looks just like yours, of course. Thanks again for the review. Thanks to it, I had some idea of what the technician was talking about!

A beauty. A great watch, with a great history.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote