The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 4 January 2009, 08:01 PM   #1
Omega_Precision
Banned

Watch: ing basketball
Thoughts on the 2254....

What is everyone's thoughts of this newly retired SMP? Was it a mistake on Omega's part to retire this watch? What are the reasons? Slow sales?

As an owner of this great watch, I think it's kind of bitter sweet that I won't be seeing this watch in AD's. It's always great to see your watch in the display case even when you have it on your very own wrist. It reminds me of all the great classic Omega dive watches such as the 300 that influenced the likes of the 2254......

I think of all SMP's that are made by Omega the 2254 looks more like a tool watch than any other SMP's.
Omega_Precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2009, 06:32 AM   #2
gaopa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
While I don't know the reason the 2254.50 was discontinued, I do think it is a big mistake on the part of Omega. I was fortunate enough, through the help of Fr. John, to get one from our favorite AD before they are all gone. I am crazy about my SMP! Cheers, Bill P.
gaopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2009, 08:47 AM   #3
timackerman
"TRF" Member

Wow, I didn't know they discontinued it!

I sold mine a year ago, but might have to think about picking up one now since they are discontinued. It is a great watch, and I think it is a mistake for Omega to discontinue it.
Old 5 January 2009, 12:03 PM   #4
jmsrolls
Banned

The 2254.50 has been discontinued as Omega is implementing the co-axial technology across their lines. Sales were not a problem as the 2254.50 was one of Omega's most popular models and sold well. Some call it a "poor man's Sub" as the quality is comparable for one-third the cost.

The cal. 1120 movement is as accurate and reliable as they get and although the co-axial is theoretically better, the 1120 is tried and true - a proven workhorse.

Many believe that Omega will introduce a co-axial model similar to the 2254.50 but expect the MSRP to be in the $3500 range rather than the current $2300. Still considerably cheaper than the Sub.

Personally, I prefer the 1120 over the co-axial so I'll keep the one I have.

My AD received the last batch of 2254.50s out of Bienne and still has a few in stock.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2009, 12:16 PM   #5
Golfster
"TRF" Member

I have a tendency (or bad habit) to purchase in this manner...I heard the 2254 was being discontinued...I liked it OK up to that point, yet I then had to have one. I was in Orlando on a trip, on my way to dinner, walked into an AD...they had a new example in the case next to the PO's. I tried it on, keeping in mind my dinner reservations, we played a quick game "what if" negotiations. They suggested they could meet me in the bar at Captial Grille (the restaurant where I was dining) with the watch sized for me to "try" during dinner to see if I liked the feel...."Then decide," they said. After paying for dinner I returned to the AD and paid for the watch. A great experience and a great watch.

The watch fits and feels great, keeps excellent time, durable, etc. I purchased a Sub and GMT-II this year as well, yet this watch gets a considerable amount of wrist time.

Go for it if you like it!!
Golfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2009, 04:43 PM   #6
Omega_Precision
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
The 2254.50 has been discontinued as Omega is implementing the co-axial technology across their lines. Sales were not a problem as the 2254.50 was one of Omega's most popular models and sold well. Some call it a "poor man's Sub" as the quality is comparable for one-third the cost.

The cal. 1120 movement is as accurate and reliable as they get and although the co-axial is theoretically better, the 1120 is tried and true - a proven workhorse.

Many believe that Omega will introduce a co-axial model similar to the 2254.50 but expect the MSRP to be in the $3500 range rather than the current $2300. Still considerably cheaper than the Sub.

Personally, I prefer the 1120 over the co-axial so I'll keep the one I have.

My AD received the last batch of 2254.50s out of Bienne and still has a few in stock.

Fr. John†

I am going to have to disagree with it being a poor man's SUB. As much as I love Rolex, it still doesn't have the feel of an Omega. I was at the mall today and tried on the new GMTIIc and I came out disappointed. The new clasp is cool but the bracelet still feels cheap still. I thought it would have a nice weight to it but it didn't compared to Omega's. I had the sales lady hold my 2254 and hold the GMTIIc in each hand and tell her to give me her honest opinion. She picked my Omega...lol....she asked why I had sold my last Rolex and I told her I had to upgrade to an Omega....I still love Rolex and their mystique but I find myself more drawn towards vintage pieces that I collect now. For a modern day society, I think it's unacceptable for Rolex to produce a watch that doesn't feel what it's worth, 20-30 years ago you may feel like you got your money's worth but today?..no.
Old 5 January 2009, 09:30 PM   #7
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_Precision View Post
I am going to have to disagree with it being a poor man's SUB. As much as I love Rolex, it still doesn't have the feel of an Omega. I was at the mall today and tried on the new GMTIIc and I came out disappointed. The new clasp is cool but the bracelet still feels cheap still. I thought it would have a nice weight to it but it didn't compared to Omega's. I had the sales lady hold my 2254 and hold the GMTIIc in each hand and tell her to give me her honest opinion. She picked my Omega...lol....she asked why I had sold my last Rolex and I told her I had to upgrade to an Omega....I still love Rolex and their mystique but I find myself more drawn towards vintage pieces that I collect now. For a modern day society, I think it's unacceptable for Rolex to produce a watch that doesn't feel what it's worth, 20-30 years ago you may feel like you got your money's worth but today?..no.
I prefer the SMP to the Sub as do others: SMP vs. Sub. I could own either but the 2254.50 is the dive watch of choice in my collection.

Last Friday I stopped by a long time Rolex AD who has recently added Omega. I was wearing my EXPII and walked up to the Rolex case where one of the owners was standing. He and I chatted as he pulled out a new DSSD for me to peruse as well as the old SDD and GMTIIc.

As we discussed the pros and cons of each, one of his sales people brought over the new QoS PO for some cross brand comparison. The sales person had done his homework and pointed out what he said was the "superior features" of the Omega even delved into the dive history of the Seamaster. The owner admitted that he had not had time to learn about the Omegas but even he was impressed.

I bought the EXPII to fill the GMT niche in my collection. I needed a watch with a lower profile, literally and figuratively, than the Omega GMT I had. After removal of the Cyclops, I am quite happy with the Explorer but my 2254.50 gets more wrist time.

Fr. John†
Old 6 January 2009, 07:22 AM   #8
Ken Cox
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
I suspect Omega wants to raise the price for this type of watch in order to take advantage of the marketing work Rolex has done to elevate a tool watch to stratospheric prices.

However, Omega can't just arbitrarily raise the price without incurring negative effects.

Therefore, Omega must remove the watch from the market and then reintroduce it as NEW and IMPROVED, which justifies the increase in price (still a bargain compared to a Rolex).
Ken Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2009, 06:24 PM   #9
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

Looks like Omega has a hard time increasing the prices.... everywhere you go.. you go and get 20% off on an omega (cash) but Rolex.. usually is 10% or 1000USD.

Cheers,

MVF
moviefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2009, 09:10 PM   #10
Portzed
"TRF" Member

Watch: My 1st 60's Timex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_Precision View Post
I am going to have to disagree with it being a poor man's SUB.
I agree on this point, the 2254.50 is to many the preferred diver's watch, but each to their own eh

I have owned both Subs/Dwellers and the 2254.50, the latter was the keeper when I was forced to reduce the collection this year
Portzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2009, 11:50 AM   #11
cdmackay

I showed my new 2254.50 to a friend with a 1960s Rolex GMT today, and we swapped for a bit. I was amazed at how much smaller and lighter the GMT was; it felt almost like a toy.

I've had mine since xmas day, and I still catch myself looking at it admiringly :)
cdmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2009, 01:38 AM   #12
mikea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
love mine! in a way i'm kind of glad they discontinued this watch....this watch is certainly not rare or limited but to me its kind of appealing omega isn't making the watch anymore.
mikea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2009, 09:50 AM   #13
Alan111
"TRF" Member

I heard from a few people that they discontinued it due to a new co-axial type movement. Regardless, I have been eyeing this watch. I want to buy this watch as an everyday "beater" - it looks magnificent. I still see them around, and don't think it'll be hard to get one, if you really wanted one.

Stupid move imho by omega, as they should have at least waited to release the new one, before dropping the 'old one'. Rolex still produced both the SeaDweller and the DeepSea, but now it seems that they will be dropping the SeaDweller ion favor of the Deepsea. Omega should have followed this route and allowed potentional new buyer to make a decision between the two before the 2254 becomes "extint"
Alan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2009, 07:01 AM   #14
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
I have a 2254.50 that my wife wears I wear this:

It’s last years Bond Model without the 007 second hand and it has the speedy bracelet instead of the 9 link seamaster bracelet. I love it and think the new 2254.50 whatever it ends up being will be close to this, JMHO oh it’s a reference 212.34.41.20.01.002 BTW
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2009, 07:14 AM   #15
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV C
I loved my 2254.50. It was a very substantial watch and well made. However, I sold it to help fund my LV along with my Pasha C. Yes the 2254.50 had a more substantial weight but if you take the bracelets off of both watches the case and heft of the Sub is more substantial. Yes the bracelet on the Sub feels clunky but.............the steel is of higher quality and frankly who needs all that weight on their wrist?? The subs bracelet hasn't changed much since the beginning and it does exactly what it was designed to do. Once locked on the wrist nothing is going to take it off. No buttons to accidentally push etc. Both watches are great but the Sub when really looked at is a much more crisp watch with a more robust movement IMHO. Just my 2c.
meloncap78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2009, 07:22 AM   #16
cdmackay

yup, I love my 2254.50, but I'd have a Sub-ND if I could afford one.
Old 12 January 2009, 08:09 AM   #17
Portzed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmackay View Post
yup, I love my 2254.50, but I'd have a Sub-ND if I could afford one.
Crap lume tho
Old 12 January 2009, 10:28 AM   #18
cdmackay

ah, the lume on the 2254 is a glorious thing; continues to amaze me. That and the sword hands are two reasons why I wish Omega hadn't discontinued it.
Old 15 January 2009, 01:11 AM   #19
jets
"TRF" Member

Sorry if the thread takes a turn but wondered. Does anyone know if the 2231.50.00 is still being made? It's identical to the 2254.50 but is Titanium on Titanium. The only difference by looking at it is that the bezel is not black but titanium colored. I saw one at an AD yesterday but the numbers on the bezel were not black, just the same color as the bezel itself and thought it looked alright. Not sure what the price was though..
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2009, 01:20 AM   #20
cdmackay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets View Post
Sorry if the thread takes a turn but wondered. Does anyone know if the 2231.50.00 is still being made? It's identical to the 2254.50 but is Titanium on Titanium.
The Omega website doesn't list this as "sold out", unlike the 2254.50, so perhaps it is; good spot.

Another one to consider, when supplies of the 2254.50 do dry up, is the GMT version: 2234.50. Slight differences in the dial (lettering & white border around date) and of course it has the GMT hand and bezel, but otherwise it's very similar.

However, none of the above are in the 2008 Collection brochure, so they may all be gone soon.
Old 15 January 2009, 05:03 AM   #21
jmsrolls
Banned

It is my understanding that none of the cal. 1120 based SMPs continue in production. This includes the Bond, the TI SMP models and the black and white dial GMTs,

This is not to say that some may not remain in the pipeline and on AD shelves.

When Omega announces that a model has been discontinued, my AD immediately places a large order for that model knowing that the demand will be there down the road.

As for the 2231.50, if anyone has it or can get it, my AD would be the guy to check with.

Fr. John†
Old 15 January 2009, 05:51 AM   #22
cdmackay

thanks Father John; makes sense.

I'd really love a GMT to go with my 2254.50, but perhaps that's being silly :)
Old 16 January 2009, 03:52 AM   #23
Portzed
"TRF" Member

To avoid any deep depression here's an oblique shot of my wee beastie

Old 22 January 2009, 06:34 PM   #24
Omega_Precision
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portzed View Post
That's one big thing I noticed from Rolex divers to Omega divers. Although bigger in size compared to the Subs and SD's, it wears very comfortably with the flatter case back. The case back is one beautiful lid!
Old 15 June 2009, 01:01 PM   #25
Nakow
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622
I feel so proud to own one 2254.50 now ! this one is my second one , but this time ,I won't let it go.
Old 23 November 2013, 08:33 PM   #26
Rolex_99
"TRF" Member

I think 2254 is discontinued becos of PO. Although PO and 2245 SMP both has its distinctive look. IMHO, PO still share its heritage from 2254.

2254 SMP is a great watch. Almost perfect except a major flaw which is the bezel grip. I remember bringing it to Phuket Thailand for snorkelling and have a hard time gripe and turning the bezel.

I owned both PO and SMP 2254 and if I need to sell one, from a practical usage point of view. PO will wins hands down. The PO sharp edge is grippy and the click is one of the best.

But I understand why Omega designed it with scallop bezel. From a aesthetic point of view, it looks from dressy and less tool watch like unlike the sharp edge bezel. But that just me, I want my watch to look nice but I also really want them to function like tool watch.

Rolex_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2013, 04:54 AM   #27
judodave1964
"TRF" Member

Watch: seadweller 16600
It's a shame Omega discontinued the 2254.50 as I thought it was their best looking diving watch to date.
judodave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2015, 11:44 AM   #28
T.Mas
"TRF" Member

Years later, the 2254 is still awesome and even more desirable. It was never properly "replaced" by Omega.
T.Mas is offline   Reply With Quote