The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 1 December 2015, 12:58 PM   #1
thejerseyrock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega, AP
Vintage Speedmaster service: is this a dilemma?

I own mostly Rolex, thus my joining this forum, but I also love the Speedy and have two of them, one modern, one vintage.

The vintage piece is a 145.012-67. I bought it with no known service history. It's in fairly good shape except the hour totalizer is not resetting to zero and running about 25 sec fast per day avg - faster when its worn, not quite as fast when face up off the wrist.

Had it for a year now and thought I'd better think about getting it serviced.

Upon contacting a recommended watchmaker / service center - now independent, but formerly omega authorized - I was told the following:

1. pushers and crown must be replaced (standard)

2. crystal must be replaced (standard "to restore water resistance" … gaskets too)

3. If there is a lot of mildew or degrading tritium on the dials, the dial should be replaced.

#3, the dial, appears to be a deal breaker doesn't it? But the service center says if flakes or dust from degrading tritium markers get into the movement, that is a problem.

What about #1 and #2? Vintage collectors seem to cringe to find out that parts in the vintage watches they are shopping for are not original. yet, so far, the independent watchmakers Ive talked to say pushers and crown (and often the crystal) normally get replaced during service.

That makes me wonder... is that a dilemma, or is replacing the crown, pushers and crystal no big deal and simply expected for your vintage watch? if a watch is 40-50+ years old, has it either: A. had service and you can count on some parts were replaced (authentic and hopefully period correct, but not original to the watch), or B. its not serviced, so its got problems or problems are imminent?

I know crown is not a big deal in terms of vintage looks or value,but if you were told you had to replace crown, pushers and crystal or no service would be performed, what would you do?

What if you were told your watch wouldn't be serviced without replacing the dial? Not service it at all? Live with busted hour totalizer? Find someone else who WILL fix it without touching the dial? If so, who?

One last question: I know 321 caliber parts are getting scarce, 861 are not. But should service for a 321 caliber really be nearly double the cost of 861 service?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
thejerseyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2015, 01:16 PM   #2
Colina19
"TRF" Member

I would leave it as is, you are not going to miss any appointments by being 30 seconds late anywhere. For all that work, and cost you might as well get a new watch.
Colina19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2015, 01:34 PM   #3
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Just enjoy it as is. If you want a daily wear SMP then get a newer one and wear this one every now and then.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2015, 11:51 PM   #4
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Sounds like good advice.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 12:01 AM   #5
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I'd do the movement service for sure. Parts are scarce now- probably won't be easier to get in the future.

Crown and pushers should be ok. Omega is pretty good with those parts. Meaning you would not get a 700 or 702 crown replaced with a 703 as you do with Rolex- the replacements would look correct. Case polish I would avoid although omega does an amazing job preserving the shape. Crystal is fine- it is a consumable part. Be sure it is genuine with the symbol In The center.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 01:49 AM   #6
Tubber
"TRF" Member

I recently had a 145.012-67 and 105.003-65 serviced. I live in a humid country and would rather have water-tight integrity and a well oiled movement than originality and a corroded movement. The service included new crown, tube, pushers and crystal. 25 seconds a day is quite a bit. If you car starts running on 1 less cylinder do you say, "Never mind I will just get there a bit slower?" It maybe indicative of future problems. At the end of the day these are mechanical devices that need servicing and looking after. It may be something as simple as degraded oils that just require a movement service.
Tubber is offline   Reply With Quote