The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 July 2008, 09:39 PM   #31
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil F. View Post
PP and VC are certainly exquisite watches, but none of their respective models is my taste. I know Rolex is more plebian in many cases than these other watches, but an SS Rolex fits my personality so much better. I do like some of the JLC models though!
Gil, thank you for your open and honest and well expressed opinion. It serves to highlight the very point that I myself was trying to get across but lost in my rant up above... that it is simply too subjective a discourse to even attempt to put down objective levels of critique.

This is my watch. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Flickr
Blog
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2008, 10:02 PM   #32
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
Lee, you've said it best here.
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2008, 03:35 PM   #33
Gil F.

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Gil, thank you for your open and honest and well expressed opinion. It serves to highlight the very point that I myself was trying to get across but lost in my rant up above... that it is simply too subjective a discourse to even attempt to put down objective levels of critique.
Roger that, bro ... I enjoyed your "rant" ... I think you're right on that these watches are difficult to compare since they represent different segments of the market! I do appreciate the craftsmanship that go into them.
Gil F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2008, 03:38 PM   #34
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Reading you loud and clear... Ten Four Roger Roger... this is ghost Rider to Tower... requesting permission for fly-by...

Flickr
Blog
Old 29 July 2008, 03:49 PM   #35
ashu2289
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas,SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztimelord View Post
I've owned a lot of different brands, IWC, AP, JLC, Franck Muller and Panerai.

Sold all of them and now only own Patek and Rolex. Posted on another forum as to why this might be. Best response was, "Patek symbolizes the pinnacle of haute de gamme, Genevoise style hand finished (if not hand made) watchmaking, and Rolex likewise symbolizes the pinnacle of modern technical horology".

Frankly one should have some of each

Rene
I have exactly same thoughts for PP and Rolex although I never owned a PP watches and probably would never as I have never been interested for dress watches....

Everything becomes nothing after ROLEX
116520 SS Daytona White Dial
116520 SS Daytona Black Dial
116523 18K&SS Daytona Slate Dial
16600 Sea-Dweller
16710 GMT Master II Pepsi Bezel
16613 18K&SS Submariner Blue Dial
116660 Deepsea Sea-Dweller
ashu2289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2008, 03:52 PM   #36
Jedi
"TRF" Member

People, Patek don't only make dress watches... this is a common misconception. The Nautilus and Aquanauts are not dress watches, in fact, I'd be hard pressed to call the 5296G a dress watch 'cos it is so versatile...

Flickr
Blog
Old 29 July 2008, 05:48 PM   #37
time
"TRF" Member

The hand crafted quality of a PP is superb. Rolex is a luxury tank, and PP is Rolls Royce.

Lee, I love the PP 5296G as well... It is on my list when I go for a trip to HK!
Old 30 July 2008, 12:27 AM   #38
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
[QUOTE=simplicity;686608][QUOTE=topcat30093;685421]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztimelord View Post
I've owned a lot of different brands, IWC, AP, JLC, Franck Muller and Panerai.

Sold all of them and now only own Patek and Rolex. Posted on another forum as to why this might be. Best response was, "Patek symbolizes the pinnacle of haute de gamme, Genevoise style hand finished (if not hand made) watchmaking, and Rolex likewise symbolizes the pinnacle of modern technical horology".

Frankly one should have some of each
APPROVED !

Fabulous collection!
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 01:29 AM   #39
Tempo

Is the PP 324 SC movement (used in the Nautilus) as advanced as Rolex Calibers like the 3135 or 4130?

Does the 324 have a Breuget overcoil, balanced bridge, non-magnetic spring etc. like the Rolex Calibers, or even more advanced features?
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 02:04 AM   #40
sfrolex
Banned

Quote:
Let's try a different angle on this question because simply mentioning the brands isn't sufficient bite on the potential of this topic, not in my opinion anyways.

Rolex's Cellini range of dress watches, and the Prince manual wind shaped piece all pale in comparison to Patek and VC's range of Calatrava and Patrimony collections respectively. To me, the Calatrava is one heck of a timepiece and the 5296G holds a ver special place in my collection. Would I ever consider a Rolex Prince or Cellini to add to my dress watch collection? Never. Ask me why and I'll tell you.

In terms of sheer ruggedness and outworldy reliability, Rolex trumps both VC and Patek in the Oyster range of timepieces. The Daytona in my opinion, reigns supreme as the ultimate chronograph in the world, bar none... except maybe the JLC Duometre, but production numbers are still limited. For the rest of the Professional series, they are perhaps the finest sports watches out there, able to fulfill multiple roles. VC's Overseas series are pretty butch too, and well designed....

Which leads me to a brief rant on PP's sports watches, namely the Nautilus collection and the Aquanaut. Now, you might be surprised, but the Nautilus, Overseas, and IWC's Ingenieur and Audemars Piguet's Royal Oak were all originally designed by Gerald Genta. The Aquanaut by PP is an in-house evolution of from the Nautilus base design. Gerald Genta is a legend in terms of his design sensibilities, but he really did his best work for other houses. His own work is kind of... inconsistent. But would I get a PP sports watch?... already did, the Aquanaut, and if a Nautilus came along, I would too. Not in competition with Rolex, but I see them as a refinement of what an ideal sportswatch could be, comfortable, slim, legible and reliable. They're not built for scaling mountains and combat zones, but then again, PP never said they were.

VC, I recognise as a historic brand, but their pieces simply do not float my boat... except for something new they've come up with... the customisable dress watch with over 4000 combinations of the coolest high tech materials available... I'll go dig up the press release which I've hidden somewhere and maybe find some pics.

In summary, I think it's simply irrational to put these brands against one another. They occupy different segments of the market

Rant over.
Thanks for the contribution. Good observations. By the way, rants make for some of the most interesting reading.
sfrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 02:24 AM   #41
sfrolex
Banned

Thanks for the contributions.

My take is: Rolex and VC are my favorite brands. I don't own a VC, but so many of their designs ("classic modern"?) are absolutely stunning. VC is the only watch manufacturer whose watches I can peruse and want to own the highest percentage of. They are incredible designers.

Rolex -- what can I say? The Submariner is the most handsome watch I have seen on the planet.

PP I can appreciate their craftsmanship but their designs do not fit with my personal lifestyle.
sfrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 02:32 AM   #42
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempo View Post
Is the PP 324 SC movement (used in the Nautilus) as advanced as Rolex Calibers like the 3135 or 4130?

Does the 324 have a Breuget overcoil, balanced bridge, non-magnetic spring etc. like the Rolex Calibers, or even more advanced features?
Whoa there cowboy.

There isn't any non-magnetic spring in the 3135. In the 4130, yes. Dual bridge is not a feature of Patek, but they don't expect you to go bungee jumping wearing a Patek.

Having said that, the 324 probably contains a silicon escape wheel which is a Patek exclusive. The Breguet overcoil isn't anything new. It's been around for years. Centuries even.

Flickr
Blog
Old 30 July 2008, 02:52 AM   #43
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Here comes J like a bull in a china shop.

I see it this way PP and VC are like your Rembrandts, Gauguins or Botticellis.

Pieces of artwork that many may recognise the quality of but most non-wis and lay people would hardly bat an eyelid. Rare, original and a little temperamental.

Rolex are like your Jack Vetriano or Monet.

Beautiful with an astounding level of quality but something everybody knows. Robust and safe.

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 02:58 AM   #44
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbits76 View Post
Here comes J like a bull in a china shop.

I see it this way PP and VC are like your Rembrandts, Gauguins or Botticellis.

Pieces of artwork that many may recognise the quality of but most non-wis and lay people would hardly bat an eyelid. Rare, original and a little temperamental.

Rolex are like your Jack Vetriano or Monet.

Beautiful with an astounding level of quality but something everybody knows. Robust and safe.

J
Well one thing is fairly certain, less people will object to your analogy than the car related ones.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 03:01 AM   #45
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Well one thing is fairly certain, less people will object to your analogy than the car related ones.
Just this morning I was thinking that I needed to move the Vetriano to make room for the Botticelli -- company coming.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 03:02 AM   #46
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just this morning I was thinking that I needed to move the Vetriano to make room for the Botticelli -- company coming.

Ladies and gentleman, we have a situation here. A 32 year old man has just soiled himself!!!!!

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2008, 12:11 AM   #47
Tempo

Quote:

There isn't any non-magnetic spring in the 3135. .
Not in older 3135-based Rolexes, but the 3135 movement in the Deep Sea Dweller WILL have a Parachrom Bleu hairspring

Quote:

The Breguet overcoil isn't anything new. It's been around for years. Centuries even. .
Yet lots of expensive watches do not incorporate one. Wonder if the Patek Cal 324 uses one, or is designed to perform as well without one
Old 31 July 2008, 03:31 AM   #48
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Okay, I'll check on the coil type for you. What I do know is that PP has been using their own Giromax balance and spring design for years, since the late 1940s.

Flickr
Blog
Old 31 July 2008, 03:41 AM   #49
FrankinCA

Watch: Omega SeMP Chrono
I wouldn't compare these three>>>

imho, V.C and Patek are on another level from Rolex.

Beside pricepoint, these brands fill different needs.

I think it's too hypothetical.

Frank
FrankinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2008, 10:57 AM   #50
Tempo

Quote:
Okay, I'll check on the coil type for you. What I do know is that PP has been using their own Giromax balance and spring design for years, since the late 1940s.
Many thanks, Jedi! My query seems to be going off-topic, so I'll start a discussion on PP vs. Rolex movements in a new thread.