The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 September 2017, 02:30 AM   #1
logan5tx
"TRF" Member

Getting Noticed- The Daytona WIS Dog Whistle

I always find interesting the threads where people discuss whether their Rolex gets noticed by other people and/or if people notice it but don’t comment, etc. I think we all have a little voice in our heads that wonders who actually notices, at least on some level, whether it’s important to us or not. For the past ten years I have regularly worn a Rolex, going through about 5 different models from a Datejust to Submariners and most recently, my white ceramic Daytona. During those ten years I have probably had maybe one or two (and two might be a stretch) strangers comment on my watch during that time. I’m in the camp where it doesn’t really matter to me one way or the other, as I wear the watch for my own enjoyment. But when you are a watch freak that notices everyone else’s watch, it makes you wonder if anyone else notices yours. Yesterday, I had 2 strangers approach me to look at/comment/compliment, and generally discuss my Daytona. One of them was wearing a black Sub Date, the other was wearing a really nice looking Tag Heuer Monaco. Neither had seen a ceramic Daytona in person and were excited at the opportunity to look at one in the flesh. We had the usual discussion of wait lists and availability, etc. It’s funny because both of these people obviously were “watch guys” and appreciated a nice watch when they see one in the wild. Had it been my Bluesy or Turn-o-graph, it’s likely they would have noticed but probably not said anything. It was fun to have a spontaneous conversation with someone who shares your passion. It’s interesting that it took my Daytona to facilitate that initiation of one stranger speaking up to another. I jokingly started thinking of my watch as a WIS Dog-Whistle because having two people approach me about the watch I’m wearing in the same day is more than has happened in the past ten years. Its good to know there are so many other WIS out there among the crowd, and it was fun that my Daytona had the ability to “call them over” to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (111.4 KB, 786 views)
logan5tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 02:44 AM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think it can def be a way for WIS to approach each other as many have not seen one so they are looking to glean some info and not merely shoot the breeze or engage in a smug-off. I did this once at an AD where a browser had the new BBN ETA and the AD did not so I asked the guy if I could have a quick peek at it. He wasn't entirely forthcoming but I got a decent glimpse at it and bought one a few weeks later.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 03:26 AM   #3
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Nice
At least to me, it would be easier to think someone was a "watch guy" and would strike up a convo with if they were wearing a Daytona C. Why? Because they're fairly hard to get and relatively new to the market. I would think most people that have one are either watch people or were told this is the "in" watch (celebs etc)
Old 16 September 2017, 06:36 AM   #4
richard371
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Living in SF I have never seen another D500 in the wild and haven’t had any comments. Everyone seems to wear an Apple Watch here lol. I do see a few subs etc and kinda glad now I moved to the Daytona as it’s more exclusive.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 06:51 AM   #5
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Happened to me when I wore the 116500 to a Basel preview here in socal......couple guys complemented and asked to see the watch closer/in more detail because they've never seen one in real life......situation is quite out of hand. I guess I'm lucky to be local to trusted/grey sellers and visit grey stores in Japan regularly to see these things all the time but it took me by surprise most normal folks haven't even seen the thing yet much less have the opportunity to buy one....
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 06:59 AM   #6
springer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I've never received a comment concerning any Rolex that I've had adorning my wrist - not a peep - and I've been wearing one for over two decades. Whether it was a vintage GMT, Sub or Daytona, or my gold Day Date or gold Sub, no one seems to notice - which is fine with me.

One watch that I wear and have received comments on is my vintage 1968 Sherpa Graph pictured below. It is a looker for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_3106.sm.jpg (85.6 KB, 563 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 07:28 AM   #7
Bryant Park
Banned

This watch always seems to draw comments. Last year I fell in a pool and the paramedic who rescued me commented "nice watch but it damn near drowned you". Cool to encounter a public servant WIS.

Referring to a thread yesterday, what I love about it is that it is stealth and bellow the radar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_538.jpg (140.5 KB, 543 views)
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 11:55 AM   #8
logan5tx
"TRF" Member

Holy cow, that thing's a monster!
Old 16 September 2017, 11:59 AM   #9
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5tx View Post
Holy cow, that thing's a monster!
Hurtful
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 02:00 PM   #10
drgoro
"TRF" Member

It can be subtle as well, which is what I prefer. Grabbing a hotdog yesterday, I noticed the guy in front of me w a GMT pepsi, at the same time he noticed my daytona, nothing more than a nod going both way and a smirk.
drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 02:32 PM   #11
richard371
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Best part is that it fits under you sleeve on dress shirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
This watch always seems to draw comments. Last year I fell in a pool and the paramedic who rescued me commented "nice watch but it damn near drowned you". Cool to encounter a public servant WIS.

Referring to a thread yesterday, what I love about it is that it is stealth and bellow the radar.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 07:27 AM   #12
logan5tx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
Best part is that it fits under you sleeve on dress shirts.
It might fit under the sleeve without a wrist in it haha
Old 19 September 2017, 07:32 AM   #13
jcr847
Banned

This thread makes me happy because I now know that I am not the only person to have taken pictures of my dog wearing a Rolex.
jcr847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 07:52 AM   #14
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:

denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 08:21 AM   #15
logan5tx
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Now I'm confused- is this a picture of the pool or the watch? ;-)