The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 October 2008, 03:55 PM   #1
ggrrrrrr
"TRF" Member

Can a GMTIIc half-link be added to a Sub-Date bracelet?

All,

I have been a longtime lurker on these forums and have learned allot over the past few months. This is a great forum and I figured that someone could answer a coupe of questions for me.

I received my first Rolex, a Z model Datejust, this past May as a gift. I love many things about the watch but one feature stands out in particular… the half-link extension found on the 12:00 side of the bracelet. It is really nice to be able to extend the bracelet by half a link on those hot and humid days.

I recently purchased a Sub-Date and the watch is great but it has to be sized a bit tighter than the DateJust so it will sit on my wrist correctly. This is fine for colder fall and winter days but I am worried that it may be uncomfortable when it gets to be warmer out. I really can’t add back a link or micro-adjust the clasp anymore without the watch flopping around on my wrist. This got me thinking...

As far as I know, the new GMTIIc has a half-link extension similar to the DateJust. I have tried on the GMTIIc on numerous occasions and the bracelet seems to be of a similar width to the Sub-Dates. Is it possible to purchase a single GMTIIc half-link that I can add to my Sub-Date bracelet so I can get the benefit of the half-link extension? I know the finish will be different with the polished link but I can either hide it under the Sub’s clasp or have it brushed to match. I know Rolex is really particular about parts from all the posts I have read regarding bezel inserts for the last generation GMTII and the Sub LV. Do you think it would be a problem to obtain a single GMTIIc link without a serial number?

In the alternative, does Rolex offer a half-sized link for the 12:00 side of the Sub Date that I can purchase? I think this would allow me to even out the bracelet and I’m pretty sure a half-link wouldn’t make the bracelet too loose.

Thanks for reading!
ggrrrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 04:55 PM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

As another alternative, you could just get an extra regular Submariner bracelet link and re-adjust the pin hole position of your clasp to compensate, resulting in a slightly longer overall bracelet length.

The pin hole on the clasp positioning should be capable of adjustment so that it equates to a 1/2 link.

Otherwise you can do as you say with the 1/2 link but this is not going to look right, and the thickness of the links on a DJ is different to the thickness of the links on a Submariner.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote