The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 October 2008, 12:09 PM   #1
kyozcx
"TRF" Member

Brand new Rolex went to RSC

Got my expII white face yesterday.
when the date change at midnight, it jamed, and couldnt finish the changing untill 2:30.
So I brought it to RSC and let them check out the problem. Hopefully they'll come back to me sometime early next week.
It is a M series, I also told them to confirm if it is a 3185 or a 3186 inside.
I've bought many Rolexes, this is the first time I see a brand new Rolex with this kind problem.

Btw, since the watch is newly bought from AD. It is still under warranty. when I went to RSC, I left the watch and left the warranty card and book along with the watch there. They wont charge anything on this, will they?
But on the receipt, it is said that: Our technicians will estimate the cost of this service and send it to you as soon as possible.
I am confused
kyozcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 12:13 PM   #2
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
They owe you a new one

I would insist you get a new Expy. Especially if you have purchased from them before. Something you spend that much on should not breakdown the same day you bring it home
nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 12:15 PM   #3
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
Won't be any cost to you!

just a shame it has to be fixed!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 12:29 PM   #4
CPCC
"TRF" Member

I agree, get a new one! I mean, DEMAND A NEW ONE!
Old 30 October 2008, 12:33 PM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyozcx View Post
Got my expII white face yesterday.
when the date change at midnight, it jamed, and couldnt finish the changing untill 2:30.
So I brought it to RSC and let them check out the problem. Hopefully they'll come back to me sometime early next week.
It is a M series, I also told them to confirm if it is a 3185 or a 3186 inside.
I've bought many Rolexes, this is the first time I see a brand new Rolex with this kind problem.

Btw, since the watch is newly bought from AD. It is still under warranty. when I went to RSC, I left the watch and left the warranty card and book along with the watch there. They wont charge anything on this, will they?
But on the receipt, it is said that: Our technicians will estimate the cost of this service and send it to you as soon as possible.
I am confused
That should never have happened with a new watch. They should not charge you a cent. The product is faulty. In fact, they should just issue you a new one.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 12:40 PM   #6
kyozcx
"TRF" Member

thanks for all your advices, however the watch is already at the RSC.
If they can restore the watch perfectly, Im fine with that.
It is just SOOOOO depressing when you got something new and turned out to be a broken one.
Old 30 October 2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
That should never have happened with a new watch. They should not charge you a cent. The product is faulty. In fact, they should just issue you a new one.

JJ

X2 Well said JJ, and just what I was thinking
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 01:56 PM   #8
FlyingMoose
"TRF" Member

Keep in mind that the ExpII (and the GMT-II) don't have a quick-change date, because of the way the hour hand works. A slowly-changing date is normal for this watch. (Actually this may not apply to the newer movements)...
FlyingMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 02:55 PM   #9
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
When I got my first Rolex, a GMT II back in 86, the luminova triangle/pointer or whatever they used back in those days actually FELL OFF the 24 hour hand and jammed the second hand to a stop. Of course I immediately took it in and they fixed it free of charge, I asked about damaging the mechanism. They told me there is a clutch in the workings, if anything goes wrong, second hand, minute/hour hand, date, anything at all the clutch kicks in immediately and protects the movement. Maybe they were trying to get out of a giving me a new watch but it seemed to make sense to me and I never had any more problems with that watch....
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 02:58 PM   #10
kyozcx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
Keep in mind that the ExpII (and the GMT-II) don't have a quick-change date, because of the way the hour hand works. A slowly-changing date is normal for this watch. (Actually this may not apply to the newer movements)...

I know what you mean, adjusting hour hand to change the date when crown at position2. Expii is not like sub that when crown at position2, the date can be adjusted quickly.

My problem of the watch is that: the date of the watch jamed between 2 dates at midnight when performing the date-changing, and can not finish the changing untill 2:30.
I think there is something wrong with the date wheel.
even I adjust the date by manaul winding the hour hand. The date still jamed at 00:00 cant finish the changing untill the hour hand reaches 2:00.
A 3185 or 3186 doesnt have a quick set of the date like 3135. But, ALL modern Rolex movements with date function are meant to have a midnight-instant-date-jump. If you know what I mean
Old 30 October 2008, 04:48 PM   #11
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
You should be able to change the date on a 3186 at any time forwards or backwards.
Thats the whole idea of a GMT movement.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 06:57 PM   #12
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Calibers 3085, 3185, and 3186 do not have a quick change, but the change of date at midnight is instant, not slow.

There was a thread earlier on a slow change of date on newer watches, and the conclusion (if I remember correctly) was that occasionally the gears needs to operate for a while before giving that rapid date change. Nothing wrong, just new gears in a new watch.

My M-serial Ex II changes date instantly at ca 4 to 8 minutes past midnight (depending on mainspring tension). Thats OK for me. I'm mostly asleep at that time.

Best,

A
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 11:26 PM   #13
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never kiss & tell!
Icon8

If it blew,
demand new.
Old 30 October 2008, 11:30 PM   #14
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
You should be able to change the date on a 3186 at any time forwards or backwards.
Thats the whole idea of a GMT movement.
:agree :

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2008, 12:24 AM   #15
Ivy League
Banned

Watch: 116710LN
I find my new GMTIIc to be inconsistent. At times the date changes instantly around 00:02.
On other occassions it gets stuck halfway between two dates and finally clicks over after I retire for the night.
Kind of frustrating but not enough of a concern for me to send it away for a prolonged service.
What do you guys reccomend please ?
Ivy League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2008, 12:31 AM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy League View Post
I find my new GMTIIc to be inconsistent. At times the date changes instantly around 00:02.
On other occassions it gets stuck halfway between two dates and finally clicks over after I retire for the night.
Kind of frustrating but not enough of a concern for me to send it away for a prolonged service.
What do you guys reccomend please ?
All perfectly normal on GMTII and ExpII its simply because its mechanical some change instant some take minutes or even hours to fully change you guys worry to much over nothing.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2008, 02:12 AM   #17
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
We have seen this on GMT's before and usually there is nothing wrong except for the newness of all the parts working together..

The manual also states that, when changing the date manually, if it doesn't snap over completely, just keep turning the hand past 12 until it completely changes, and then turn the hand back to the correct time..
Old 31 October 2008, 06:25 PM   #18
kyozcx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
We have seen this on GMT's before and usually there is nothing wrong except for the newness of all the parts working together..

The manual also states that, when changing the date manually, if it doesn't snap over completely, just keep turning the hand past 12 until it completely changes, and then turn the hand back to the correct time..
The date still jamed between 2 dates even it is on normal running when the hands reaches midnight.